U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,470,890 times

Advertisements

A true "manly" man wouldn't just eat the "good parts" of the animal. He'd eat the whole thing, then drink the blood.

So if I were a woman confronted with a guy who wouldn't eat vegetables because it's "unmanly", I think my first move would be to go get him a bow and arrow, tell him to go kill something, then make him eat the whole thing, snout to tail.

And if he wasn't willing to do that, I'd say, "Here's some broccoli."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,676,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
A true "manly" man wouldn't just eat the "good parts" of the animal. He'd eat the whole thing, then drink the blood.

So if I were a woman confronted with a guy who wouldn't eat vegetables because it's "unmanly", I think my first move would be to go get him a bow and arrow, tell him to go kill something, then make him eat the whole thing, snout to tail.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:56 AM

670 posts, read 762,477 times
Default Veggies Unmanly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Disclaimer: I am a man in my late 20s.

Most days, I try to bring my lunch with me to the office. I usually pack a sandwich, sometimes a side (chips, yogurt, etc) and almost always try to include a fruit or vegetable (salad, carrots, an apple, etc).

Today during lunch, I had a coworker comment that I "always eat so healthy." She went on to say that she wished that she could convince her boyfriend to eat vegetables. Apparently, he doesn't like to eat vegetables and considers them "unmanly." I guess that I have never considered healthy eating to belong to one particular gender, but if you think about it, most food commercials targeted to men are more centered around meat (think... buffalo wings, bacon, BBQ). It makes you wonder if some men are afraid to incorporate vegetables into their diet because they fear that it makes them appear feminine (quite strange if you ask me).

Do you consider eating vegetables to be "unmanly?"
So, he thinks men are carnivores and women are omnivores?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

No, they don't drink the blood, they drink their scotch or red wine.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:28 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,832,119 times
A true "Manly" man eats whatever he wants.
That includes Sushi, Tofu, Veggies, and anything else he takes a fancy to. What other folks think of his food choices is of no concern.

Chow down, Mates.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,715,516 times
Yes. All I eat is steak and potatoes

Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,939,657 times
It never occurred to me that idea was anything but comical stereotyping. But now that I think about it, I watch a lot of ESPN and the only food ads I see there are for fast food restaurants, pizza (both take-out and eat-in), beer, hard liquor, and beverages containing vast quantities of caffeine. There was even an ad run incessantly around Mother's Day that showed a Dad and his small son commiserating over having to dress up and take Mom out to brunch to eat "egg pie." Their solution was to buy a bag of charcoal and get out the barbecue grill. I guess the message is, "Even cooking it yourself beats putting on nice clothes and eating something other than grillable items. (That said, I will note that grilling is a great way to cook vegetables.)

Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,210,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It never occurred to me that idea was anything but comical stereotyping. But now that I think about it, I watch a lot of ESPN and the only food ads I see there are for fast food restaurants, pizza (both take-out and eat-in), beer, hard liquor, and beverages containing vast quantities of caffeine. There was even an ad run incessantly around Mother's Day that showed a Dad and his small son commiserating over having to dress up and take Mom out to brunch to eat "egg pie." Their solution was to buy a bag of charcoal and get out the barbecue grill. I guess the message is, "Even cooking it yourself beats putting on nice clothes and eating something other than grillable items. (That said, I will note that grilling is a great way to cook vegetables.)
in a Seinfeld episode, I think he was eating with miss "man hands" and he goes to order a salad, and she said " you aren't one of them" and he said no and ordered some meat

Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,227,466 times
I can try to impress (some) others as being "manly" by eating as they think I should. Or I can do as I like and eat plenty of fruits and veges, and be healthier. The choice is obvious for me. And I think a stronger person won't try to please others, especially by doing something foolish.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,218,315 times
I'm not keen on veg, nothing to do with it being manly or not. I eat enough though as my health is good and no malnutrition here! I like asparagus, green cabbage (not red), broccoli, green bean, artichoke and potato (not technically a veg!). I don't like vegetables that aren't green though, something about the flavour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or