U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
How about citing some of those sources then? Not an op-ed, not a blog, not an "article" from a conspiracy website, not a politically-based website, not a lobby group, not photo-shopped PETA or National Enquirer "article." An actual news article from a respectable source. Like Reuter's (and not their "Weird News" stuff), or one of the major networks, or the Washington Post, or the New York Times, or heck - even Fox, as long as it's not a blog or editorial.

Dr. Oz is not a credible source. Therefore, anything and everything he claims or allows others to claim in his name, is suspect. Even if it's true. Even if I was at the studio and watched something live with my own eyes - if it's being presented by Dr. Oz, I will *suspect* my eye-sight. I won't immediately believe it.
Besides these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
It is processed chicken like in canned soups, chicken nuggets, etc. From what I have read it is NOT the whole chicken or chicken parts. Apparently, the ban was lifted last year so if you have been buying processed chicken from a restaurant or market, there is a possibility that it came from China.

Will you know when your chicken was processed in China? - Tarini Parti - POLITICO.com

Was Your Chicken Nugget Made In China? It'll Soon Be Hard To Know : The Salt : NPR

Here is another from the New York Times (August 2013):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/bu...tut9dCvBhqeWrg

Quote:
Initially, the companies will be allowed to export only cooked poultry products from birds raised in the United States and Canada. But critics predicted that the government would eventually expand the rules, so that chickens and turkeys bred in China could end up in the American market.
================================================== ====================
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No nothing, we should all be buying local no matter what it is.

Support your local farmers.

Eat fresh.

Oh and be careful of seafood, down here in Australia we get something called "basa" which is a basic white fish, most folks don't know it's carp straight out of the Mekong Delta. I would NEVER eat it.

I went to China on a cruise. You could tell you were getting near land because of the RUBBISH in the sea, old nappies, cans, all just floating about.

Also, the place stunk. Like pollution, even from out at sea you could smell it.

When we got to shore, the Chinese Police were everywhere with machine guns.

I did not leave the ship.

I'm used to clean beaches, I'd never stopped to think what that meant before.
You might want to brush up on your storytelling skills. The Mekong Delta is in Vietnam, not China. Vietnam hasn't been even a part of China, since around the year 1000.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times
Quote:
My local farmers don't have tomatoes all year. They don't have citrus fruits at all. They don't have peas all year round, or squash all year round, or heck - anything year round. Local farmers do basically no business at all in the winter, unless they're growing in hothouses - of which much of the building material is fabricated in China.

If you live in a climate that can allow you to enjoy local fresh produce and meats all year round, that's great. Most of the USA does not have that luxury.
Yes where I live is the "food basket" of Australia, and we have fantastic produce.

However I grew up in less pleasant climes, and my dad always had a greenhouse for tomatoes, lettuces etc. You can even grow them on your windowsill now.

So really - no excuses.

Most people would have SOME access to a farmer's market, even if it's just old Joe selling oranges on the side of the road.

Where I live, there are a lot of Europeans, and they bought up the land and started market gardens about 80 years ago.

There are still a few Italian families who sell tomatoes from their front door, on a main road in the city.

But yes, we are very very lucky, food wise, particularly where I live. Lots of fresh seafood too.

Adelaide Central Market: The City of Adelaide's food hub. 80 stalls under one roof

Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post

Besides these:

Here is another from the New York Times (August 2013):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/bu...tut9dCvBhqeWrg

================================================== ====================
Your original source from Politico was also from 2013, and if you actually read the piece you'd see that they stated very clearly that as of that date, the US Council of Chicken growers or whatever they're called, is NOT sending chickens/chicken pieces to China, and they weren't planning on doing so at the time. See here - from that very article:

Quote:
But consumers can rest easy that the chicken served to them today is not yet from China, and it probably won’t be for some time. Even with the USDA allowing Chinese-processed chicken to be imported in the U.S., few U.S. companies are expected to take advantage.
None of the National Chicken Council’s members have expressed an interest yet in processing their chicken in China because “the logistics are complicated and the profits are limited,” said Bill Roenigk, senior vice president and chief economist for the trade association.
And you even included a quote from the Times explaining what they _predict_ *might* happen in the future, Nothing in that article states that anything is actually happening. Four companies were given permission, as of August, 2013. Is there anything showing that anything has come of that permission?

And, if this happened as long ago as last year, why hasn't there been an outcry until now?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:49 PM

27,237 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Your original source from Politico was also from 2013, and if you actually read the piece you'd see that they stated very clearly that as of that date, the US Council of Chicken growers or whatever they're called, is NOT sending chickens/chicken pieces to China, and they weren't planning on doing so at the time. See here - from that very article:

And you even included a quote from the Times explaining what they _predict_ *might* happen in the future, Nothing in that article states that anything is actually happening. Four companies were given permission, as of August, 2013. Is there anything showing that anything has come of that permission?

And, if this happened as long ago as last year, why hasn't there been an outcry until now?
There has been an outcry for those of us that were aware of what was happening. You're late to the party.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times
Quote:

How would we know? The country of origin is not required for these products.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No nothing, we should all be buying local no matter what it is.

Support your local farmers.

Eat fresh.

Oh and be careful of seafood, down here in Australia we get something called "basa" which is a basic white fish, most folks don't know it's carp straight out of the Mekong Delta. I would NEVER eat it.

I went to China on a cruise. You could tell you were getting near land because of the RUBBISH in the sea, old nappies, cans, all just floating about.

Also, the place stunk. Like pollution, even from out at sea you could smell it.

When we got to shore, the Chinese Police were everywhere with machine guns.

I did not leave the ship.

I'm used to clean beaches, I'd never stopped to think what that meant before.

A look at our future.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:08 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
Unknowingly been doing it for years

Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
You might want to brush up on your storytelling skills. The Mekong Delta is in Vietnam, not China. Vietnam hasn't been even a part of China, since around the year 1000.
Not to mention that basa is not in the carp family. It's a type of catfish.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,151,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Kicking illegals out who do the meat processing is one of the reasons. Union pressure to raise wages for legally employed workers is another. Shareholders want to have higher returns for their investment in food corporations. Fourth and most important, Americans want their food cheap and readily available everywhere.

So the answer is logically: CHINA!

Or gee... delete the meat processing plants and move them where the illegals are coming from. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or