U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Frog legs and whole rabbits are usually items imported from China.
well I should know that: of course I don't buy rabbit, haven't had it in years but I have had frog legs and usually I pay very close attention to where they come from. I guess I will just have to either "get over it" or throw them out and give up on eating them anymore. You would think they could find enough for all of us in La. for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Reputation: 39380
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.......... I guess I will just have to either "get over it" or throw them out and give up on eating them anymore. ............
If you haven't had them long and you still have the receipt, take them back to the store and get a refund. The packaging was at least marginally deceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Reputation: 10872
Only if the "chicken" is made of real plasterboard.

NO, food from China I do my best to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
 
3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
Reputation: 4957
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
What's your source for that claim? Not saying it isn't true, but I tend to think it's not.
After Washington GMO label battle, both sides eye national fight | Reuters


The food industry doesn't want consumers to know where their food comes from. They spend much more to pump spin into elections.


One of the common themes that most people seem to agree on in this thread is the need for clear food labeling. If consumers want such types of labeling, then why do they vote against it like they did already in CA and WA for labeling of GMOs? People claim that they want more information to make a more informed choice, yet vote against what apparently is in their own self interests. It makes no sense, except that lobbyists are very good at corrupting the minds of voters with spin the more money they have.

If a vote on whether or not country of origin should be clearly placed on ALL food items sold within this country, you can bet there'd be millions of dollars being poured in by the food industry to convince consumers to vote against it, even though it seems they want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 PM
 
17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Reputation: 31223
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
After Washington GMO label battle, both sides eye national fight | Reuters


The food industry doesn't want consumers to know where their food comes from. They spend much more to pump spin into elections.


One of the common themes that most people seem to agree on in this thread is the need for clear food labeling. If consumers want such types of labeling, then why do they vote against it like they did already in CA and WA for labeling of GMOs? People claim that they want more information to make a more informed choice, yet vote against what apparently is in their own self interests. It makes no sense, except that lobbyists are very good at corrupting the minds of voters with spin the more money they have.

If a vote on whether or not country of origin should be clearly placed on ALL food items sold within this country, you can bet there'd be millions of dollars being poured in by the food industry to convince consumers to vote against it, even though it seems they want it.
the country of origin laws are already here

all fresh chicken in a store must be labelled by either on the package or a visible sign
if you don't see it...ask!!!!! or don't buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 AM
 
14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Reputation: 18136
Reminder to stay On Topic of Original Post. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you haven't had them long and you still have the receipt, take them back to the store and get a refund. The packaging was at least marginally deceptive.
our local market is very return friendly and we know the manager personally. I could do that; in fact I am thinking the same thing. To add to all our discussion on China and foods, now I am having trouble finding shrimp that isn't from China. I checked yesterday, at our other local market; same thing: China, China, China and I will add, these stores are middle to upper end types, not your run of the mill grocery stores. At least the Talapia and Salmon are not from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Reputation: 39380
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.........trouble finding shrimp that isn't from China. I checked yesterday, at our other local market; same thing: China, China, China ...........
Fish is off the menu for my dogs. I used to be able to buy 10 pound bags of cheap junk fish. Not any more. All the cheap variety 10 pound bags are from China. I love my dogs, but I won't be feeding them Swedish salmon for $17 a pound, or Oregon halibut for $23 a pound.

Tilapia, swar, perch, and catfish is all from China. So, no more fish for the dogs.

Veering off topic, American Samoa is one big factory for canning tuna. Where does all that tuna go? All I can find is tuna canned in the orient somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
 
Location: State of Washington (2016)
3,290 posts, read 2,180,354 times
Reputation: 12389
Like some of have already said, I wouldn't knowingly buy any food from China. I was trying to purchase tilapia at my local Ralphs and was hard pressed to find any that wasn't from China. I found one little package that was from Mexico and that was about it. Most of the seafood in the displays cases was from China and I won't be buying any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
 
12,639 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Reputation: 17281
No, not knowingly.

It is not the handling or anything, the leaving out, things like that I am concerned about, I have resided in a third world country and familiar with all the handling they typically do with meat, it is the fillers they potentially throw into the meat.

It stated "processed", and I do not purchase processed meat products. But in any case, it is the potential for hazardous fillers that are a concern that they would use to increase their profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top