U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If Dr. Oz is talking about it, then it's probably hyperbolic horsepucky and nonsense. Dr. Oz is a paid shill for whatever company wants him to push snake-oil for him that day. Sounds like the Poultry Growers of America or some political organic lobby group is covering the cost of his Bentley in this episode.

Of course, I -would- be concerned if my chicken pieces came from China. However, pretty sure they're not. First of all, because it's Dr. Oz claiming that they are, and he's full of whatever someone is paying him to be full of. In this case, it's chicken droppings. Second, because Perdue has its USA chickens grown and slaughtered right here in the USA, and that's usually the brand of chicken I buy.
Exactly! I can't stand the guy...he's a fear-monger of the first order.
'Lip gloss will kill you!'
'Apple juice will kill you!'
'Running will kill you"!'

'Buy these supplements|'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:06 PM

3,425 posts, read 3,243,081 times
I buy the $0.99/lb thighs at Costco, or the $1.09 thighs or drumsticks at the local market, not organic, but labeled "no hormones". Will have to inquire at these stores where they source these birds and who processes them. Definitely do not want to eat anything from China. Bad enough to deal with toys made in China that may contain lead and other toxic substances.

Maybe we'll just switch to organic chicken from now on; it's twice the price, but I guess you do get what you pay for.

I'd happily buy everything made in USA if it were possible. I blame the American consumer for not being discriminating but always picking the very cheapest thing on the shelf. It's getting hard to even find a hammer or screwdriver at the hardware store that's not made in Asia. I don't fault the Chinese, who are mostly poor, putting in long hard hours to rise up to our standard of living. If we worked as hard as they did, and complained as little as they do, there'd be no import problem.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM

642 posts, read 908,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I buy the $0.99/lb thighs at Costco, or the $1.09 thighs or drumsticks at the local market, not organic, but labeled "no hormones". Will have to inquire at these stores where they source these birds and who processes them. Definitely do not want to eat anything from China. Bad enough to deal with toys made in China that may contain lead and other toxic substances.

Maybe we'll just switch to organic chicken from now on; it's twice the price, but I guess you do get what you pay for.

I'd happily buy everything made in USA if it were possible. I blame the American consumer for not being discriminating but always picking the very cheapest thing on the shelf. It's getting hard to even find a hammer or screwdriver at the hardware store that's not made in Asia. I don't fault the Chinese, who are mostly poor, putting in long hard hours to rise up to our standard of living. If we worked as hard as they did, and complained as little as they do, there'd be no import problem.
You're right, it's twice (or more) the price and that's why we have things like the processing of chicken being sourced to China. Everything is driven by price.

What I have found for myself is that I just eat less meat than I used to. However, the meat I do buy is of very high quality. Therefore, the price I pay overall for meat now compared to what I used to pay sort of even outs.

I will say too that pasture raised organic meat is so much more tasty. It is my belief that American's taste buds have been dulled by all the junk and low quality stuff we eat now.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't know how anyone keeps up with the constant fear mongering that's going on. I would be an absolute basket case if I tried to keep up with half of it.
How true, so many people believe everything they read or see on TV; they haven't heard the word: "sensationalism" and with 24/7 news coverage we can hear anything we want.

I have lived to be close to 80 years old (don't tell anyone) I am in pretty good health, take away about 50 lbs, I love to cook, we eat pretty much what we want: We love to travel, we don't freak out with the stories of all the germs in the hotel rooms, we don't stress about drinking a couple or even 3 glasses of wine at night, we don't worry about the world coming to an end tomorrow and we are as happy as most people can hope to be...If I die tomorrow it won't be because I worried myself to death.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:09 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Since I vowed more than 5 years ago not to buy anything not made in USA unless absolutely necessary I've become a much more discriminate shopper. You would be surprised how hard it is to find clothing, shoes, household items NOT made in China. But I do draw the line at food. Wonder if my grocery store manager even knows where the chicken is processed?

I took this attitude not so much because of inferior products and quality control but because of loss of American jobs to overseas nations.
But do you realize how many American made products are partly assembled in other countries and what about the tech people who service us when we have a problem: they are in other countries. I am not saying, you are wrong, but I am saying you would probably be surprised at how much we depend on foreign countries for many services.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times
Nope I do not eat anything made in China.

I lived with some Chinese and their parents came over and they spent days driving around the supermarkets buying cans of baby formula because their baby formula had poisoned a bunch of babies.

They also bought fish oil in bulk, in China the supplements are produced by Government and anything produced by Government is appalling quality.

China is still very much a country of extremes. The ordinary people endure hardships daily that we can't even imagine.

The Chinese female I lived with was amazed that I ate canned goods, for example. She was brought up to believe they are poisoned.

No wonder they all are dying to come to Australia.

Also, no Chinese eats anything uncooked. No salad, ever. It's because their water is dirty and that way food poisoning lies, so they cook EVERYTHING.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
no I would not be surprised at all but if i can in some way keep from sending more jobs overseas then I will at least try. And I'm not some "foreigners are evil" nut job.
I have three adopted international children, 2 international sons in law and have traveled all over the world as an
Army brat and as a young adult. I just hate to contribute to any more loss of jobs in this country if I can help it. I know it is inevitable to buy some foreign sourced or assembled merchandise but at least i look very hard for alternatives or do without. Up till just a few years ago I made all my daughters clothes but haven't lately because they are so close to teenage years and don't like to be different. they all want to look alike it seems.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
It is processed chicken like in canned soups, chicken nuggets, etc. From what I have read it is NOT the whole chicken or chicken parts. Apparently, the ban was lifted last year so if you have been buying processed chicken from a restaurant or market, there is a possibility that it came from China.

Will you know when your chicken was processed in China? - Tarini Parti - POLITICO.com

Was Your Chicken Nugget Made In China? It'll Soon Be Hard To Know : The Salt : NPR

If anyone has a source for unprocessed chicken (whole or parts), please post it.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I say no. However, there is no way to know if that Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup that I ate several months ago came from China. I will not purchase any processed chicken unless it states clearly that it is processed in the USA. Processed chicken from China will not touch these lips.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,062,828 times
Wow, do we really hate the American worker so much that we are willing to ship our damn chickens to China to be processed, then ship them back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or