U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:17 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times

Advertisements

Now I am wondering about chicken sausages and chicken lunchmeat. Does anyone know the story on those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm no Dr. Oz fan either BUT - it is now legal to ship our chicken over to China for processing and then shipped back here.

This is done under the well-known brand name and there is nothing to alert the consumer to the fact that the chicken was processed in China.

Since their food safety standards are well behind ours - it certainly is a concern to a lot of people.
I think we all have to remember, it is almost impossible to buy nothing but "made in America", whether food, cars, cloths, whatever. I was shopping yesterday and saw 2 brands of Frog Legs in the frozen fish chest: One said: product of China, the other, manufactured by such and such seafood company, Jacksonville, Fl. I did buy it, but I have no idea where is was actually processed.

I will also add, I remember back about 2 or 3 months ago when the subject of shipping chickens to China came up, both here and a huge article in our local paper. What it boiled down to was: yes, we are shipping chickens to China, but they are not being processed and shipped back. They might be processed and shipped elsewhere I am not sure. I vaguely remember the story. I think the good Dr. Oz is taking that story and turning it around to fit his needs.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Remember, it is processed chicken (chicken nuggets, canned chicken, etc.) and not the whole chicken or parts that one would purchase in the fresh meat department of a grocery store. Whole chicken or parts that are sold in meat departments should indicate something about the country of origin - like Tilapia which is why I stopped buying it (I noticed the "product of China" labeling on the package).

At this time if you ONLY eat whole chicken or parts, I would not ruffle my feathers too much.
naturen, thank you for writing this

it is processed chicken,,NOT FRESH CHICKEN PARTS YOU WILL SEE IN THe GROCERY STORES- what I wrote earlier..
not FRESH CHICKEN

Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM

223 posts, read 247,408 times
No. I will not buy food from China. I would prefer not to buy anything made in China! It is unfortunate how everything is made in China now so it is hard to avoid buying these products.

I don't live in the US and yet I would like to see more "Made in USA" products which I equate to quality. I do not mind paying a bit higher as long as I know that what I bought is safe and of good quality.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 AM

28 posts, read 23,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we all have to remember, it is almost impossible to buy nothing but "made in America", whether food, cars, cloths, whatever. I was shopping yesterday and saw 2 brands of Frog Legs in the frozen fish chest: One said: product of China, the other, manufactured by such and such seafood company, Jacksonville, Fl. I did buy it, but I have no idea where is was actually processed.

I will also add, I remember back about 2 or 3 months ago when the subject of shipping chickens to China came up, both here and a huge article in our local paper. What it boiled down to was: yes, we are shipping chickens to China, but they are not being processed and shipped back. They might be processed and shipped elsewhere I am not sure. I vaguely remember the story. I think the good Dr. Oz is taking that story and turning it around to fit his needs.

lol. some of you Americans really need to learn economy 101. Market demand for chicken in China is far exceeding the domestic supply and thus china has to import thousands tonnes of meat from other countries. The current market price for 1KG chicken is about 5 dollar per KG. Why would any American company import chicken from china (and pay both import and export taxes?).

Enjoy the current cheap chinese products just for now, as manufacturing factories are slowly moving out to other countries due to higher labor wage in China. In next 10 years. most of your Americans working class can't even offord things that are made in china anymore. lol. Of course, if you have money, you can alway by high quality products from Europe.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,102,849 times
NO!

Read your labels on food. All of them, every time. More food than you think comes from China, India and other places, often developing countries. Apple juice, canned mushrooms, canned vegetables, and frozen foods as well as prepared foods(dips, corn products) are just a few examples. Dollar stores carry a line of Italian-style jarred foods that look authentic, but are imported from China. Elaborate holiday chocolates that require some work are often from China. NO THANKS! If I want a real treat, I go to the local chocolate maker for the best chocolates ever. They aren't cheap, but it is a treat, so three times a year it is okay. Even a large, well-known chocolate company is now making its candies in a country from which I'd rather not buy food. YUCK. I don't buy them.

When at a food trade show some years ago I was surprised to learn that when a food product (canned soup, for example) is created and labeled, the manufacturer does NOT have to list the origin of the various ingredients in the soup! And you would be surprised at the many foods that are produced in China.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Now I am wondering about chicken sausages and chicken lunchmeat. Does anyone know the story on those?
If it doesn't say on the label, contact the company and demand answers. I do this for ALL the food I purchase.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
NO!

Read your labels on food. All of them. More food than you think comes from China, India and other places, often developing countries. Apple juice, canned mushrooms and frozen foods are just a few examples. Dollar stores carry a line of Italian-style jarred foods that look authentic, but are imported from China.

When at a food trade show some years ago I was surprised to learn that when a food product (canned soup, for example) is created and labeled, the manufacturer does NOT have to list the origin of the various ingredients in the soup! And you would be surprised at the many foods that are produced in China.
what makes you think they do not process it here in the USA? You are basing your idea on something a TV doctor claimed? I happen to believe almost all our chicken is processed here except for some to chicken by products. That isn't pure chicken and I try to stay away form processed foods as much as possible. None of us can always buy the right thing, especially if we are living on a budget. I think most of us, who post here do read our labels.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajibacaonima View Post
In next 10 years. most of your Americans working class can't even offord things that are made in china anymore. lol. Of course, if you have money, you can alway by high quality products from Europe.
My family goes out of the way to never purchase things made in China now, or any item that is imported. So, if they stop sending their poorly made crap here that is fine with me! I'd rather buy something second hand. More people than you might imagine feel the same way. And when I have the money, I don't buy European, I buy American.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 AM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I hate to buy anything from China.
Lots of people have this line of rational but it seems every big box store i see has a parking lot full of cars from customers who just cant get enough Chinese/east Asian made products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or