U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:30 PM
 
3,442 posts, read 4,470,936 times
Reputation: 5387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Most of us do not rely on Dr. Oz for our news source.

It appears the OP from the thread you are commenting on does, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
NO it is not all from China. Trader Joe's has NO food products from China including pet foods! I don't know about Whole Foods, but I doubt they would have anything from China food wise. Local places a lot of the time will have local apple juice.

To the OP, NO I will NOT eat meats or any foods from China. You CAN make sure things aren't from there when eating. If I hear McDonalds is going to do that, I will never step foot in there, but to be honest, I don't eat there anyway. Glad I like to cook and read.
The apple cider I drink comes from the apple orchard in the town next to where I live. Seeing as how I live in Connecticut, I think I can be pretty confident that my apple cider doesn't come from China (since China isn't the town next to where I live).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38641
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
NO it is not all from China. Trader Joe's has NO food products from China including pet foods! I don't know about Whole Foods, but I doubt they would have anything from China food wise. Local places a lot of the time will have local apple juice.

To the OP, NO I will NOT eat meats or any foods from China. You CAN make sure things aren't from there when eating. If I hear McDonalds is going to do that, I will never step foot in there, but to be honest, I don't eat there anyway. Glad I like to cook and read.
of course it is not all from China, all we have to do is check. I pay pretty close attention to the fish I buy, no, not all of it is from China or processed in China either. I just checked the Salmon I have in the freezer, wild, form MN and processed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,244 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Reputation: 20856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
It appears the OP from the thread you are commenting on does, however.
It seems you have a problem believing that we are shipping chicken to China for processing simply because the OP heard it from Dr. Oz.

Numerous cites have proven that it is indeed happening - as many of us knew long ago - and you continue to deny it with visions of live chickens being flown over to China.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It seems you have a problem believing that we are shipping chicken to China for processing simply because the OP heard it from Dr. Oz.

Numerous cites have proven that it is indeed happening - as many of us knew long ago - and you continue to deny it with visions of live chickens being flown over to China.

Whatever.
How about citing some of those sources then? Not an op-ed, not a blog, not an "article" from a conspiracy website, not a politically-based website, not a lobby group, not photo-shopped PETA or National Enquirer "article." An actual news article from a respectable source. Like Reuter's (and not their "Weird News" stuff), or one of the major networks, or the Washington Post, or the New York Times, or heck - even Fox, as long as it's not a blog or editorial.

Dr. Oz is not a credible source. Therefore, anything and everything he claims or allows others to claim in his name, is suspect. Even if it's true. Even if I was at the studio and watched something live with my own eyes - if it's being presented by Dr. Oz, I will *suspect* my eye-sight. I won't immediately believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 02:08 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
Reputation: 11918
Just another reason to skip processed junk.

There are no hygiene rules in China, nor quality control.

If you insist on living on products that come ready made, you're ingesting all sorts of crap.

Eat fresh! Support your local farmer by buying free range chickens, yes they are more expensive but they don't carry cancer causing agents and we all eat too much meat anyway.

Clean eating - I've been doing it for decades, long before it became a "thing" - I'm at the point I can taste added chemicals and fat.

Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 03:00 PM
 
3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
Reputation: 4957
For all the people saying they'd not buy any food processed from China, they really need to check where things like their garlic is coming from. If you aren't paying premium for something like garlic you have a very high chance of consuming garlic that is from China. Think of all the nice flavor heavy metals in soil from pollution add to many of your produces from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Reputation: 46995
many are also saying they would not buy any FOOD at all from China, not just food processed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
Reputation: 11918
No nothing, we should all be buying local no matter what it is.

Support your local farmers.

Eat fresh.

Oh and be careful of seafood, down here in Australia we get something called "basa" which is a basic white fish, most folks don't know it's carp straight out of the Mekong Delta. I would NEVER eat it.

I went to China on a cruise. You could tell you were getting near land because of the RUBBISH in the sea, old nappies, cans, all just floating about.

Also, the place stunk. Like pollution, even from out at sea you could smell it.

When we got to shore, the Chinese Police were everywhere with machine guns.

I did not leave the ship.

I'm used to clean beaches, I'd never stopped to think what that meant before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No nothing, we should all be buying local no matter what it is.

Support your local farmers.

Eat fresh.

Oh and be careful of seafood, down here in Australia we get something called "basa" which is a basic white fish, most folks don't know it's carp straight out of the Mekong Delta. I would NEVER eat it.

I went to China on a cruise. You could tell you were getting near land because of the RUBBISH in the sea, old nappies, cans, all just floating about.

Also, the place stunk. Like pollution, even from out at sea you could smell it.

When we got to shore, the Chinese Police were everywhere with machine guns.

I did not leave the ship.

I'm used to clean beaches, I'd never stopped to think what that meant before.
My local farmers don't have tomatoes all year. They don't have citrus fruits at all. They don't have peas all year round, or squash all year round, or heck - anything year round. Local farmers do basically no business at all in the winter, unless they're growing in hothouses - of which much of the building material is fabricated in China.

If you live in a climate that can allow you to enjoy local fresh produce and meats all year round, that's great. Most of the USA does not have that luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top