U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm curious how many there are out there who love their coffee black (no sugar either) and also enjoy unsweetened iced tea as a cold drink. Some people look at me like I'm crazy if it comes up in conversation or they see me drinking either one. Usually they assume that I'm on some kind of diet and that I'm somehow denying myself, but I've never had it any other way. The thought of putting milk or sugar in coffee seems kind of gross to me, but I could see the appeal of a little sugar in iced tea. I usually just drop a couple of lemon slices in the jug while its in the fridge. In terms of the health benefits I guess when you consider the calories you're not consuming it's a good thing?
I drink unsweetened iced tea all the time. Sometimes I use lemon or even lime in it (depending upon what I have on hand.)

My coffee has half and half in it, though. I know lots of people who drink it black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:05 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,313,408 times
Unsweetened tea. Wt-f is "hot tea"?

J/k

Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,812,633 times
I don't mind sweetened drinks, but I prefer my coffee black these days. I used to load it up with cream and sugar, and then I ended up in temporary housing between moves and had a coffee pot but no cream or sugar handy. I knew if I didn't get my daily fix of joe, I'd end up with a headache (I can quit anytime, really), so I decided to choke down a cup of black coffee that day ... and I found out I really liked the flavor that way! Four years later, I find I still prefer the "unmasked" flavor of coffee.

I still don't mind a good cafe mocha, though, once in a while. Thai or Vietnamese iced coffee is a nice occasional treat, too, and those have sweetener and (usually) a little milk or cream in them.

I can drink cold tea either way -- sweetened or not. Hot tea has to be unsweetened.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM

3,348 posts, read 5,812,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintlelli View Post
My husband on the other hand likes to load his coffee and tea with sugar and his coffee is really "coffee-milk."
Cafe au lait, as the French call it!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Black coffee is all about the bitterness and sourness not enough depth for me. Adding cream to black coffee adds new depth to the flavor of coffee. You can taste the roast much better with the use of cream which gives the coffee it's burnt of smokey flavor. With just black coffee those roast flavors are cancelled out by just the sheer bitterness of the coffee.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,648,752 times
I can drink coffee black (and I do sometimes), but I prefer it with a creamer.
I grew up drinking nothing but sweet tea, and I can still drink it occasionally, but I prefer it unsweetened.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
I'm curious how many there are out there who love their coffee black (no sugar either) and also enjoy unsweetened iced tea as a cold drink.
Is there any other way?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
I've been drinking my coffee black and unsweetened since I was 16 or so. I prefer my iced tea unsweetened also, but hot tea I like light and fairly sweet.

Yeah, sometimes people look at me like I'm odd if they notice my black coffee, but it doesn't happen often. And even if it did, I don't really care.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 PM

3,314 posts, read 8,512,965 times
I like coffee with cream and a treat once in awhile with flavored creams (i.e., Hazelnut or French Vanilla), but not too sweet!

Will drink it black too.

Iced tea-- we make our own. No sugar. Not even lemons. I like to taste the tea this way.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
I'm curious how many there are out there who love their coffee black (no sugar either) and also enjoy unsweetened iced tea as a cold drink. Some people look at me like I'm crazy if it comes up in conversation or they see me drinking either one. Usually they assume that I'm on some kind of diet and that I'm somehow denying myself, but I've never had it any other way. The thought of putting milk or sugar in coffee seems kind of gross to me, but I could see the appeal of a little sugar in iced tea. I usually just drop a couple of lemon slices in the jug while its in the fridge. In terms of the health benefits I guess when you consider the calories you're not consuming it's a good thing?
My BF drinks black coffee and unsweetened tea, both. Always has. I know many people that do. Don't see anything odd at all about it.

I have to have Sweet & Low in both, and creamer in my coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink