U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM

13,514 posts, read 29,464,086 times

Advertisements

I use creamer and a little Splenda in my coffee. Black coffee is too bitter for me.

I live in the South so naturally I don't like unsweetened tea, however I don't like it as sweet as most other Southerners either. I like just enough sugar to taste it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Only unsweetened tea whether it's hot or cold.

Never sweeten my coffee either. I will occasionally put cream in my coffee but only if it's real cream. I'll also pass on any flavored coffee.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 PM

14,999 posts, read 8,556,881 times
Props to you who can drink coffee straight and black. I have to put sugar and cream in it, otherwise it makes me gag.

Now tea I can drink without sugar, but I still prefer sugar in tea (both hot and iced).

Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 PM

15,196 posts, read 15,225,705 times
YES, black coffee and plain green/black tea.

I actually like Splenda, it tastes good....but it make me feel kinda gross.

For me, sugar/carbs with caffeine beverage seems to take away the stimulant effect of the caffeine.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM

34,590 posts, read 42,755,715 times
I drink black coffee and unsweetened ice tea. Once in while I will have cream and sugar in coffee in the afternoon, more like a dessert.
Sometimes I will put a wedge of lemon and a package of Equal in my iced tea. Unless I can control the amount of sweetener, I would rather have plain. Here in the south, the "swee tea" is so sweet, I don't know how they stand it.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 AM

9,874 posts, read 5,783,385 times
Black coffee drinkers (DH and I) - no cream or sugar. It's funny when we go out to restaurants for a breakfast meal and say no cream or sugar for the coffee, but they still bring it . Do they think one of us will change our mind? Years ago (many years in fact) I may have put a little milk and sugar in my coffee but have since been able to drink it without. Occasionally, I'll get a fancy drink, like a peppermint mocha at Starbuck's but that's it. I even used to put in a packet of sugar but I don't do that anymore.
Hubby finds it humorous going into 7-11 to get his coffee and watching the customers doctoring up their java with packets of sugar and creamer and he just pours some from the decanter into his cup and goes to stand in line to pay. He says many are still there even as he walks out the door.

As for tea. I used to put a packet or 2 of sugar in my hot tea but someone convinced me to try honey instead. I've been doing that ever since but have also cut back on how much honey I put in as well.

Iced teas - I used to put in a packet of regular sugar, then I changed to putting in a packet of Splenda but now it seems I only occasionally put in 1/4 - 1/2 of the packet. Sometimes I don't even do that. Some of the iced teas I get are flavored with the fruit's natural juices - be it raspberry or blackberry (two of my favorites) where I don't find myself adding any other sugar source, be it substitute (like Splenda) or regular sugar. I've had some bottles of sweet --> extra sweet iced tea but find myself thinking wow this is really too sweet. Have stopped getting the extra sweet bottles. Perhaps its my body's way of gradually breaking away from the sugar. Maybe someday I'll be like Badfish, where I can do both coffee and tea - unsweetened? Maybe

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM

11,063 posts, read 11,469,953 times
I drank sweetened coffee for 3 years in my 20s. The dental bills from that made me quit the habit fast. I do not consumer sugar if I can help it. Except for jelly. I love jelly.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM

30,464 posts, read 9,103,558 times
I like my coffee light and sweet, hot tea with just a little cream, and iced tea with just a hint of sugar.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM

759 posts, read 1,036,662 times
Very strong, very hot, very black-NEVER any sugar or milk/cream in my hot coffee.

On a hot summer day tho', I do enjoy an iced coffee, homemade with heavy cream and a little sugar-refreshing and invigorating, almost like a coffee frappe or milkshake.

Don't really drink iced tea, never got the taste for it, and I'm a multi-generational Georgia native. Sweet tea? I know it's the state beverage and all, but-Plain gross, this is really just simple syrup with a little bit of musty tea-bag flavor, yuck!

Every once in awhile I do get a taste for hot tea, but the only kind I really enjoy is the Chinese baby green tea, once again plain, no sugar, milk/cream or lemon.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,826,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm curious how many there are out there who love their coffee black (no sugar either) and also enjoy unsweetened iced tea as a cold drink. Some people look at me like I'm crazy if it comes up in conversation or they see me drinking either one. Usually they assume that I'm on some kind of diet and that I'm somehow denying myself, but I've never had it any other way. The thought of putting milk or sugar in coffee seems kind of gross to me, but I could see the appeal of a little sugar in iced tea. I usually just drop a couple of lemon slices in the jug while its in the fridge. In terms of the health benefits I guess when you consider the calories you're not consuming it's a good thing?

Me. And I drink mate tea also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink