U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM

642 posts, read 909,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Read the article again (if you read it at all):

The FDA is not banning anything; it merely is investigating the possible contribution of wooden aging blocks to listeria outbreaks. The title of this thread is inflammatory.
I read it and I've read many others on the same topic. Did you read my post? Did I say "ban?" No.

Originally, however, they WERE talking about the possibility of banning it. They have since backed away because they got such a backlash for it and many national news publications drew attention to it.

The point that I am making is that the FDA is not to be trusted with "protecting" us from anything. Their track record is ABYSMAL in this department. They have repeatedly approved things for the American food supply that are toxin and/or there is not enough research to reach a conclusion, albeit common sense along in most cases would be enough to say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,031,426 times
For years a bar in Anchorage always had a large block of cheese sitting at the end of the bar. Patrons could slice off a piece cheese and grab a handfull of crackers to munch on. Not sure if it was a new health inspector or if actually took the health inspectors years to notice this huge block of cheese sitting on the bar, but during an inspection the inspector said it had to go because there was no sneeze guard and it was not refrigerated. A short time later the block of cheese reappeared. A piece of saran wrap covered the block of cheese and a nice looking plaque was posted saying the cheese was for display purposes only. Now patrons lift the sneeze guard ( the saran wrap ), slice off a piece of the display and grab a handfull of crackers to munch on.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 06-11-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM

642 posts, read 909,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
For years a bar in Anchorage always had a large block of cheese sitting at the end of the bar. Patrons could slice off a piece cheese and grab a handfull of crackers to munch on. Not sure if it was a new health inspector or if actually took the health inspectors years to notice this huge block of cheese sitting on the bar, but during an inspection the inspector said it had to go because there was no sneeze guard and it was not refrigerated. A short time later the block of cheese reappeared. A piece of saran wrap covered the block of cheese and a nice looking plaque was posted saying the cheese was for display purposes only. Now patrons lift the sneeze guard ( the saran wrap ), slice off a piece of the display and grab a handfull of crackers to much on.
Great story!

Sounds like something that might happen in "Cicely Alaska."

Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,881,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I have lost all respect or the FDA... I don't trust them AT ALL... they approve GMOs without testing... they push through high fructose corn syrup without adequate testing... they publish misleading reports about raw milk where the cherry pick data and conveniently leave out even their own data... they allow azodicarbonamide, a chemical used to produce yoga mats and rubber soles for shoes, to be added to bread, etc, etc... now this... we need a complete overhaul of the FDA and we need to get the ex Monsanto executives/lobbyists/lawyers out of key positions there.
Did you know the FDA allows hydrogen hydroxide in bread too? It's in rat poison, weed killer, latex paint, lethal injections and kills thousands of people every year!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,534,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Did you know the FDA allows hydrogen hydroxide in bread too? It's in rat poison, weed killer, latex paint, lethal injections and kills thousands of people every year!
I think you're mistaken. You should be referring to dihydrogen monoxide.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,534,615 times
I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge that hardwood cutting boards do not promote bacterial growth any more than those made of Delrin or other high density plastic. Many studies have been done to this effect.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 PM

13,711 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Do you know that the FDA also allows RAT POISON (warfarin) to be given to sick people?

Boy, Chicken Little and Turkey Lurkey would feel comfortable on this thread.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
I only use spray cheese in a can - it's FDA-approved.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,647,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Read the article again (if you read it at all):

The FDA is not banning anything; it merely is investigating the possible contribution of wooden aging blocks to listeria outbreaks. The title of this thread is inflammatory.
There are hundreds -- no hyperbole at all, hundreds -- of cheeses that I enjoy elsewhere that I cannot buy in the United States because people who don't know a damned thing about food were put in charge of food.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,658,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I read it and I've read many others on the same topic. Did you read my post? Did I say "ban?" No.

Originally, however, they WERE talking about the possibility of banning it. They have since backed away because they got such a backlash for it and many national news publications drew attention to it.

The point that I am making is that the FDA is not to be trusted with "protecting" us from anything. Their track record is ABYSMAL in this department. They have repeatedly approved things for the American food supply that are toxin and/or there is not enough research to reach a conclusion, albeit common sense along in most cases would be enough to say no.
BINGO! What a joke! They're nothing more than "enforcement", "eliminators" and "concealers' for the big boys! It's appalling, when you look through the list of "banned elsewhere" substances, which are allowed in the USA...by the FDA. Ironically, the small businesses, who are trying to do it "right"..or "old-fashioned", and keep the cost down, are being crushed out of existence, due to stupid, unnecessary, BS regulations. It's appalling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink