Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,862,931 times

Advertisements

No idea why the FDA started this BS, but the "data" they used was from two report in 2010 and in 2011. In 2013, the University of Wisconsin in Madison studied the same thing, and proved the earlier reports were untrue. (Funny, as I write this the local (Milwaukee, WI) radio station is talking about this subject.) So, anyway, there has NEVER been a case where a person has gotten sick from listeria in cheese. If there are no bacteria, there IS no cheese. That's what makes it. Also, without aging on wood, some cheeses will no longer be able to be made. Limburger is one.
The radio just reported the FDA has completely backed off on this. Somebody there must have needed something to squawk about. Maybe they needed to justify their job. Who knows.

~ mrscool B.S. Dairy Science, UW-Madison (we know our cheese)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,212,318 times
What is it with the FDA and artisanal cheese? A group of concerned foodies, including me, had to fight with Commissioner Kessler at the tail end of the Clinton administration -- he almost rammed through a complete ban of all imported raw-milk cheeses. (Basically all the good stuff), and now we've got another attack, although more limited in scope.

Some food made from perishable sources (like milk) will have some danger. The FDA should simply require labeling to that effect. We are all adults here.

For the truly nervous, there are pasteurized 'cheese products' galore that could probably sit on a sunny sidewalk for a year and still pass FDA requirements. I don't want to eat those, but to each his own.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,212,318 times
I should add that it wasn't a complete victory against Kessler (google Americans for Cheese Choice for more information). FDA got a partial ban -- unaged imported raw milk cheeses. US manufacture of same is OK.

They wanted a total ban -- aged and unaged, which was absolutely insane.

Here is a link to the group:

http://oldwayspt.org/resources/good-food/cheese

Last edited by westender; 06-12-2014 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Added link to history of the political cheese action group from 1999.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
If you get your dairy locally and buy your bread from local bakeries, you communicate directly with the those that produce your food... get to know them... go by their farm and see for yourself.... chat with the bakers about the specific ingredients they use and where they get those ingredients from... find out what the farmers feed their cows (and chickens) when they're not eating grass.... do they feed them gmo corn and soy? or do they go out of their way to make sure their feed is NON gmo and actually healthy for the animals and you.... some organic dairy farmers exchange whey for feed with other organic farmers in the area!! At any rate, when you buy from local producers, you have a lot better idea what's in your food and you get to know who can trust and who you can't trust.

Processed food, i.e. what I call "preservative bread" and milk that comes from who knows where and from cows that are being fed who knows what and being treated who knows how, cannot be trusted, regardless of being FDA approved... in fact, I'm at the point of saying "WHO CARES" on whether or not something is FDA approved because I have zero confidence that the FDA actually has the consumer's best interest at heart... in fact, with all the ex-Monsanto guys in there running the show and the idiotic decisions they've made, I assume they do NOT have the consumer's best interest at heart. Instead, they have BIG AG's profit driven interest at heart.

I agree with other posters above that it is appalling that so many substances are now FDA approved for Americans to eat while they have been banned, often for a long time, in other countries. You'll hear food companies complain that it would be too hard to reformulate their products even though they have already done so in other countries.... you'll hear them complain about it raising the cost too much even though the same products MINUS the nasties are being sold in other countries CHEAPER (after conversions).
Well, I'm pretty sure the local farmer won't let me see the cows beaten with chains.
If he can't be trusted to do the right thing in that respect, he can't be trusted with anything.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:54 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

It is almost never the far,er abusing his animals. It is usually unsupervised hire help and occasionally stagers.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,633,871 times
The FDA, like all regulators are pure evil. We need to be more like China.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is almost never the far,er abusing his animals. It is usually unsupervised hire help and occasionally stagers.
Really? A simple Google search tells a very different story.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourcei...animals+starve

Furthermore, we have prosecuted small farmers here for terrible abuse. Some were also running horrific puppy mills on the side, where the dogs were in such bad shape, they couldn't be saved.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM

983 posts, read 989,261 times
That's why I said a local farmer, one you can develop a relationship of trust. One who will invite you to visit the farm. I have a half chicken in the oven right now that is pasture-raised. They lay around in the sun, peck insects out of cow patties, they do things chickens do. The cows are robust and healthy looking, and wear the cutest black and white striped fly masks. They come to the milking parlor when they hear their name called, not with cattle prods and whips.

IF you're lucky enough to be near farm country, it's worth it to know you done your part to buy your food locally and it is organically raised.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
That's why I said a local farmer, one you can develop a relationship of trust. One who will invite you to visit the farm. I have a half chicken in the oven right now that is pasture-raised. They lay around in the sun, peck insects out of cow patties, they do things chickens do. The cows are robust and healthy looking, and wear the cutest black and white striped fly masks. They come to the milking parlor when they hear their name called, not with cattle prods and whips.

IF you're lucky enough to be near farm country, it's worth it to know you done your part to buy your food locally and it is organically raised.
I have a place up in the country, and I buy my chickens and eggs from a local guy who runs a plant nursery. The chickens run around, pecking in the dirt between customers' feet.
They're cute.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,039,354 times
when Artisan Cheese is outlawed;
only Outlaws will have artisan cheese

or coming soon:

Bathtub Gin & Cheese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink