U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,576,650 times

Advertisements

FDA threatens industry on wood boards; artisan cheese world melts down in 'disbelief' - Washington Times

What kind of lunacy is this? Imagine in the future being left with only cheesewhiz or velveeta garbage as your only choices of "cheese" to consume or cook with. Let's ban a process we've been doing for hundreds and hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
The concern is about the sanitation (or lack thereof) of the wooden boards that are used in the aging process. If you read down near the end of the article, you finally get to the part where they actually had to shut down one cheesemaker when listeria was found in their cheeses, which use wooden boards to age them.

So - naturally, it stands to reason that they would at -least- be concerned about the sanitation of the surfaces upon which cheese is aged. Wood can't be cleaned the same way non-porous surfaces can. I personally think it's silly to have -that- much concern over using wooden boards, but I kind of get where they're coming from.

No one is threatening the industry though, that's just sensationalist journalism. The FDA is looking at the situation to see if it merits further study. They'll probably come to the conclusion that regulators just need to be reminded that even wooden surfaces have to be appropriately sanitized, and checked for compliance with existing sanitation laws, and that's that.

I have a feeling very little will come of this - not because of protests, but rather because the FDA will realize it isn't that big of an issue in the first place.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The concern is about the sanitation (or lack thereof) of the wooden boards that are used in the aging process. If you read down near the end of the article, you finally get to the part where they actually had to shut down one cheesemaker when listeria was found in their cheeses, which use wooden boards to age them.

Wood has been removed from most commercial kitchens for about 25 years as wood harbors potentially hazardous bacteria.

The artisanal cheese producers I have visited are NOT using wood.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,508,905 times
I hope nothing comes of this: Yes, I can understand the concerns for our health, but I am so tired of the government interfering in everything we do...I have no problems with warning us of dangers, whatever they may be, but please don't tell us what we can and can do...!!!! If there is one single possibility something might cause us a danger the government wants it stopped.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 AM

32,116 posts, read 39,212,961 times
I imagine that won't have an impact. The state has been going after, and shutting down, lemonade stands, Amish markets, roadside stands, etc. for several years now. The wooden curing boards were gone a long time ago.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Wow, what a sensational thread title, blown up from a sensational headline, neither of which has nothing to do with the story contained within.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM

16,317 posts, read 12,591,173 times
^^^ Yep....and now I wish I had a big block of artisan cheese (that just means....um....cheese) and a big azz cola!

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-11-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM

33,599 posts, read 51,807,704 times
"Health Canada does not currently have any regulations prohibiting aging and ripening cheese on wood, so apparently if we want to eat most American or European artisan cheeses, we'll need to drive across the border to do so."

Does that mean that they can appropriately clean their boards, and we can't?

More here:
Cheese Underground: Game Changer: FDA Rules No Wooden Boards in Cheese Aging

Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM

642 posts, read 909,308 times
I have lost all respect or the FDA... I don't trust them AT ALL... they approve GMOs without testing... they push through high fructose corn syrup without adequate testing... they publish misleading reports about raw milk where the cherry pick data and conveniently leave out even their own data... they allow azodicarbonamide, a chemical used to produce yoga mats and rubber soles for shoes, to be added to bread, etc, etc... now this... we need a complete overhaul of the FDA and we need to get the ex Monsanto executives/lobbyists/lawyers out of key positions there.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
I have lost all respect or the FDA... I don't trust them AT ALL
Read the article again (if you read it at all):

The FDA is not banning anything; it merely is investigating the possible contribution of wooden aging blocks to listeria outbreaks. The title of this thread is inflammatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink