U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 01:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,228,799 times

Advertisements

I got off sodas extremely easily by just drinking carbonated water instead. It's amazing how little you feel compelled to drink them after just a few weeks of not. That stuff will ruin you if you're not careful. Even just drinking one or two a week seemed to have effects on my body that I just don't see anymore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't always drink soda but when I do it's an ice cold coca cola. Or a room temperature ginger ale.
You forgot the poster!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,444,356 times
This is just more silliness. Anything can be altered to a gross state by the right or rather wrong conditions. If your stomach doesn't boil foods, you have nothing to worry about!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
^ This.
I don't drink it. Wont drink. Never let my kid near it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I feel like such a bad parent now - I let my child eat Happy Meals - AND HAVE SOFT DRINKS!!!!! I have even purchased Whopper Jrs for my child - OH NO!!!!!
Wait... we also cook meals at home, and we enjoy those meals together while we talk about our daily experiences.
I feel like such a failure .
We didn't have soda/pop in the house when we had kids (that was a while ago they are adults)
exception: we did have 7-up on occasion for an upset stomach or a type of flu.
But as kids get older they go out and you can't control what they spend their money on or what
their friends have at their house.
And yes, we did have a happy meal once in a while and even Coke or Root Beer Floats at
an actual soda fountain. Imagine that.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 AM

6,961 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Had a science teacher in college tell us once that, after seeing a video of Coke destroying a piece of meat, that if you could mix that Coke with some of the acids and enzymes that are in our body, it wouldn't bother the meat.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,251,964 times
What happens to some children when they grow up and leave home after years of being denied a coke happy meal or whatever. Some of these now adults with their adult freedoms will drink or eat what they were denied.

Case in point: my love affair with chocolate. For some odd reason when I was growing up chocolate was evil period. No chocolate period it bad for you. . No soda pop it's bad for you. No chips it bad for you. MIND you I had cousins and Aunts and Uncle's who slid some to me on the sly.. Now this was back in the sixties and seventies. My Aunts and Uncle's told me then a little won't hurt you. .

Can you imagine how I felt at Halloween and birthday parties? When on the rare occasion I was allowed to trick or treat and when returning home to have my candy thrown out and have it replaced with grapes and apples and such?
Birthday parties the parents were told I was allergic to chocolate? That was if I got to go?

So how does that relate to me when I left home and now that I am older?

For the first 10 years of my life I went thru 2 gallons of chocolate milk a week. The giant box of chocolate pop tarts a week. Chocolate candy bars anytime I wanted them. Can you say Chocolate Oviltine? Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast?

I would drink Hersey Chocolate Syrup straight from the bottle and still do on occasion. I would eat sugar straight from the sugar bowl with a spoon! All because I was brainwashed and told it was bad for me.

I was very fortunate that I have a high metabolism and a physical job as a matter of fact I was always underweight. I didn't even have my first cavity until after I had my daughter.

I don't drink a lot of soda or eat a lot of processed foods. But I still eat 2 candy bars a day and a couple of sodas a month. I bake cakes and make fudge on all holidays and make pies.
I never believed the butter and eggs and salt or whatever was bad is bad for propaganda.
I use moderation with these foods and portion control and stay active.

I am not diabetic or high blood pressure or over weight. I have never been seriously ill ever. Guess what? I even smoke a few cigarettes every day?

You know what I avoid like the plague? Doctors who push pills. Is my cholesterol a little high? yes.

I work with a lot of 80 plus year old people do you know what they all have in common?
They eat and drink what they want and are still active!
If you ask them their secret to their health. Most of them told me that they will not let a doctor, doctor the them to death and that is a direct quote.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is "Coke" made from real sugar in both the United States and Mexico. It is not widely distributed but does become more available nationally in the USA during the Jewish High Holy Days period. Trick is to look for the "Kosher for Passover" stamp/sign somewhere on the container.

Persons in the North East and Mid-Atlantic states have been known to either drive down South and or arrange shipping of "real sugar" Coke because they just won't drink the other stuff.

Or you can just order it here: Coca-Cola (Coke) with Real Sugar available now. Buy today!

As for Mexican Coke and the switch to HRCS: Mexico's Soda Tax Might Make Coca-Cola Bottlers Switch From Real Cane Sugar To Corn Syrup

My point is that SOME MEXICAN coke contains corn syrup - it is right on the label. I have had it in McAllen, El Paso, Chicago, and Tucson. You have to read the label.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,533,575 times
Their is little difference between HFCS and "real" sugar. "Real" sugar is refined sucrose which is a disaccharide containing equal parts of 2 monosaccharides which are fructose and glucose. HFCS is also a disaccharide composed of the exact same monosaccharides only in slightly different proportions (usually 52:48 and not more than 55:45, fructose to glucose). Neither are a health food and one is not necessarily "better" than the other. HFCS is cheaper and more shelf stable. It's also a liquid. That's why it is favorable for use in beverages as it takes the heating/disolving step out of the manufacturing process.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,948,202 times
Lmao....I even like to cook w' Coke-
Omg there's an amazing recipe I have for a really deep, dark, rich, moist chocolate fudge cake.....
Secret ingredient is Coke
It's mouth watering, soooo delicious.
Even the frosting is laced w/ Coke.....
(This pic skimps on the frosting, though lol- I like it drenched in frosting)

It's cake at it's best!
I think I'm inspired to bake one up this weekend

This one comes close to mine- oh so yummy!

Coca-Cola Cake : The Coca-Cola Company

Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Had a science teacher in college tell us once that, after seeing a video of Coke destroying a piece of meat, that if you could mix that Coke with some of the acids and enzymes that are in our body, it wouldn't bother the meat.

Take a piece of pork or beef and place it on a plate.

Lay a piece of RAW pineapple or papaya on the meat.

The meat will gradually dissolve in a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or