Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM

759 posts, read 1,349,605 times

Advertisements

I like it, and have had it many times.
It tastes nothing like it smells, which is kinda weird on its own.
The smell is sort of like rotting onions mixed with an aged cheese, and very pungent.
The texture is like a soft custard-makes great smoothies.
On the other hand the taste is very sweet, but not cloyingly so, and has a flavor that is very floral.
The aroma turns many people off from tasting it. Also, the smell will leak out from your pores and sweat for several hours afterwards, so it is best consumed alone, or with another durian fancier. A Thai lady I know who loves durian claims her husband will not sleep in the same room with her after she enjoys her favorite fruit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,953,482 times
Yep. Smelled like a ripe dumpster on a 90F Manhattan afternoon. Choked down one bite, gagged and spit out on the second. Guy I was with when we tried it liked it though. He wanted to make a smoothie with the rest of it but I wouldn't let him use my blender to do so.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,248,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It is a popular fruit in Singapore where my son lives. He was trying to explain to me what it tastes like and just couldn't explain it. Then he sent me this video. I understand now!

imgur: the simple image sharer
Never had durian - seen it, in the farmers market, nicely wrapped in plastic so no stench.

BUT had a cat that would do that when she smelled something strong. Cracked us up every time.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,195,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
If it smells bad, I'm not eating it.
I agree

Old 06-11-2014, 04:52 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,253,583 times
Its one of my favorite fruits growing up as a kid. Sure, it smells, but so does a lot of cheese.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,264,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Its one of my favorite fruits growing up as a kid. Sure, it smells, but so does a lot of cheese.
I don't have people avoiding me or refusing to sleep with me when I eat cheese.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
The smell is NOT good. The flavor is fairly pleasant. I will try it the next time I have a bad cold.

It is far less objectionable compared to some of the French soft cheese that I have had.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
My husband frequently goes to Singapore for work, and has had it.It tastes nothing like it smells. But there are a lot of other native fruits he likes better.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,619,977 times
I have never had it, but I did go to a convention about 10 years ago where I was one of three women sharing a hotel room. On the drive there, one of my roommates stopped at an Asian grocery store and bought a frozen one. I'm not exactly sure why. I'd never heard of durian before then.

It was a fairly small convention, but there were several groups of people I had met online attending. One was a group of teenage guys staying in a room across the hall, and she dared them to try it. After the first day when all the festivities were over, one of them decided to take her up on the offer.

OMG that thing smelled awful. It was like rotting garbage. The guy took one bite and threw up, and no one else was daring enough to have any. The rest of the night was spent passing the thing between different hotel rooms like a hot potato before someone finally got fed up and took it to the dumpster out back. By that time the whole floor reeked.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 AM

402 posts, read 514,819 times
Its knows as the king fruit in Thailand... And is not allowed on air travel between countries due to its extensive smell. Their is a famous lady in Thailand's 'china town' with the best durian and people from all over visit her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink