U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times

Advertisements

I rarely get to the bottom of a list of ingredients without changing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM

136 posts, read 166,327 times
Apparently I need to be more adventurous because I follow recipes, Im skerred LOL

Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 AM

1,827 posts, read 849,417 times
A friend was telling me about a relative who refused to give her the recipe for her meatloaf. She said that her aunt told her that she didn't use a recipe which my friend did not believe because she herself uses a recipe for everything she cooks.

I said "you need a recipe to make meatloaf?".

If I'm making food to share, I do wear a clean dress and apron and a hair net.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Always.
"I don't have that but I do have this. It should work."
"I wonder what would happen if I add XYZ? It should work."

It's why I don't bake. You can't do that with baking.
You can indeed, within reason. I don't go messing with proportions, or leave out ingredients that would change the chemistry that contributes to the finished the product, but there is an awful lot you can mess with when baking.

For instance, I have a recipe for apple walnut bread for the bread machine. I don't like walnuts. I don't always have apple juice on hand. I prefer at least half of the flour to be whole wheat. A little experimentation and ... voila! I've made apple cranberry bread, apple raisin bread, prune bread (substituting the applesauce in the recipe with pureed prunes), ginger bread ... all kinds of fun stuff! Adjust the liquids so the dough isn't too dry (if I'm adding oatmeal, flax seeds or whole wheat flour) or too wet (if I'm adding fresh fruit). Every loaf is different.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:16 AM

441 posts, read 359,059 times
I rarely use a recipe. I have discovered my favorite meals that way! I think after cooking for so long, you develop a sort of sense what will/will not work.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,574,921 times
I too am in the camp of never really using recipes. Generally it is easy for me to figure out what I want in food combos and then just go from there. Pretty easy if you ask me. If it sounds good to me then I will find a way to make it.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,872,935 times
I usually cling tightly to a recipe, finding that even small changes make the final product into a disaster -- but sometimes I get wildly inspired and I KNOW it will work. And at times like that it usually does.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM

33,549 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Most of my meals are not planned and based on whatever I have in my fridge, freezer and a pantry.
I rarely use recipes, except I am making a specialty dish. I assume it comes with years of cooking. You just know what to put together to make it work. Same with measurements. Tasting your food in between while cooking is most important.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I don't use recipes for everyday meals, but I do if I'm trying something new and different. I always make a new recipe exactly as it is written the first time. I don't think a new recipe can be fairly judged otherwise.
One of my pet peeves is when people review recipes on the internet, but they've changed many of the ingredients, so they've got no business reviewing it.
Lately, I've been on Weight Watchers, so I like coming up with ways to make familiar recipes more Point friendly. I also routinely reduce the sugar in most things I make.

The title of the thread, "Cooking without a net" makes me think of something else I do, which is making a new recipe when company is coming.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 AM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
Half the time when I try a new recipe for company, it's disappointing! This happen to anyone else? Now I try to stick to the old stand-bys that I KNOW are delicious..and I try to prep and cook ahead as much as possible so I don't stress when company comes -- and I get to enjoy their company instead of being consigned to kitchen/cooking duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink