U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times

Advertisements

Do you often cook/invent recipes without a recipe, cooking by the seat of your pants?

My friend commented the other day that she admired my cooking as I was a "natural cook" who rarely followed a recipe...

Never really thought about it before. But I guess I do often cook from things on hand rather than going out to shop for a specific recipe's ingredients.

Especially, I like to use fresh local prodcue in season.

Right now I'm dreaming up a stuffed squash recipe for dinner tomorrow using some of the squash pulp, chopped, dried apricots, brown rice (or maybe barley if I have some), chopped almonds and some grated feta cheese. I'll likely throw in some sauteed in olive oil garlic and onions, too. Moisten the stuffing mix a a bit of vegetable stock.

Stuff the squash, put in a roasting pan with some water, cover with foil and let it cook under tender.

Maybe because I've been cooking a number of years I kind of know what tastes good together..

Do any of you good folks cook this way, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
Yup. I'll frequently throw a bunch of things together for a meal. I think what stops a lot of people is that they don't understand flavor combinations.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM

9,258 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Yep, sure. That's what most cooking is. That's how "new" recipes are developed. They cook without a net, it works out, and then they write it down and call it a recipe

Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you often cook/invent recipes without a recipe, cooking by the seat of your pants?

My friend commented the other day that she admired my cooking as I was a "natural cook" who rarely followed a recipe...

Never really thought about it before. But I guess I do often cook from things on hand rather than going out to shop for a specific recipe's ingredients.

Especially, I like to use fresh local prodcue in season.

Right now I'm dreaming up a stuffed squash recipe for dinner tomorrow using some of the squash pulp, chopped, dried apricots, brown rice (or maybe barley if I have some), chopped almonds and some grated feta cheese. I'll likely throw in some sauteed in olive oil garlic and onions, too. Moisten the stuffing mix a a bit of vegetable stock.

Stuff the squash, put in a roasting pan with some water, cover with foil and let it cook under tender.

Maybe because I've been cooking a number of years I kind of know what tastes good together..

Do any of you good folks cook this way, too?
Always.
"I don't have that but I do have this. It should work."
"I wonder what would happen if I add XYZ? It should work."

It's why I don't bake. You can't do that with baking.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Always.
"I don't have that but I do have this. It should work."
"I wonder what would happen if I add XYZ? It should work."

It's why I don't bake. You can't do that with baking.
Well, you can, but you might make a lot of accidental bricks.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:33 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Yes. Today I made up a recipe that I could eat every day. I could probably become a vegetarian if I had this to eat every day. We also had red snapper and roasted sweet potatoes, but the tomato salad was the star.

Tomato Salad

Place into a bowl:

2 med. tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 small cuke, peeled and diced
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 can chopped jalapenos, drained

Of course, you can substitute whatever combo of veggies you want, and also any kind of beans would be fine too. You really need the tomatoes, onions and the jalapenos, but add what ever chopped veggies you want.

Dressing

2 oz herbed goat cheese
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper

Whisk the dressing ingredients together until smooth. Pour over vegetables and chill.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:15 AM

11 posts, read 11,128 times
Most of the time, I try to cook without internet. I love to prepare foods on my own.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM

540 posts, read 661,935 times
What I call a "pantry cook" - open up the fridge and pantry and see what strikes your fancy, then cook! My husband has gotten quite good at it also over the years. He's gotten comfortable with flavor combos, as Emeraldmaiden says above. And I'm also not much of a baker - I like to play with my ingredients too much.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
I rarely cook with a recipe other than baking. Most of the time I will try a new recipe as written and then go on from there if we like it.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
My husband cooks like that--whatever he feels goes together. Everything it good, too, mostly. A few accidents, but not that many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink