U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,017,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The one case where I consistently tip above 20% is bartenders. I'll tip five bucks on the first round (or a dollar a drink, whichever is more), then if she tops off my beer (or at least doesn't serve short pours), it stays at that same high rate.

On introspection, it's not really a tip, more like a bribe.

One strange thing I've noticed with carry out orders. I will write in $3-$5 as a tip, but my credit card statement never reflects the tip, only the original food total? But that's a story for another thread.

Funny, on the forums and complaint sites wait staff want us to believe 20% is average today, but when it comes to reporting income to the IRS, they claim much less, lower even than the 14% rate found through analysis of credit card transactions at fine dining restaurants.

So no, 20% is not the average today, that is wishful thinking by tax-evading waiters.
In major cities, 20% is absolutely average. 15% is still average in rural areas. You are citing statistics across all restaurants (including buffets, etc. where tipping is lower). For a typical restaurant in a more urban area, 20-25% is normal.

And obviously tipped employees under-report their wages. Does that shock you?

http://www.today.com/food/25-new-sta...-eat-1B5989931

Quote:
Nowadays, 15 percent isn’t an average tip – it’s a way of registering displeasure with the service.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:29 PM

13,645 posts, read 21,499,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Firemen are people. Garbagemen are people. Grocery clerks are people. Are you trying to say that we should tip them too?
Likening firemen to waiters is relevant here. Their benefits and pensions are identical.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM

877 posts, read 1,026,364 times
No
I was always taught to tip anywhere from 18%-20%

My dad is usually a pretty generous tipper while my mom bases it off of service and attitude. We've only ever had 1 rude waitress and she was only rude to us in particular. But we've had some stand out waiters and we always tip them well and if there's a comment box/sheet I'll comment on them kindly

Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,612,590 times
There seems to be some confusion... "norm" is what you typically do. It's not a requirement. To those saying they tip on performance, so do I, as well as I'm sure many of us do. This thread is more so about how this norm went to 20% from the 15%, not how you should always tip 15% or 20% or whatever. If you don't think their service was up to snuff, then do what you've been doing. No one's saying you're necessarily wrong to tip less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you sit at the counter the same tip should be paid.

If I sit at a table alone, when a counter is available, I tip more since I am taking up a table that could have 2 or 4 people sitting at it.

My average breakfast, the meal I eat out the most, is $5.40 with tax. I leave $7 on the table, or should I say counter. I get great service.

I probably could've used a more precise term, but here "counter" means ordering food at a fast food place or otherwise where you go up to a counter, get your food, and go from there. So you're saying if you order a whopper at a Burger King and sit down to eat it, or a latte at Starbucks to-go, you also tip for those?

Last edited by ackmondual; 06-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM

1,198 posts, read 913,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no matter what you may think: most states wait people do not get min wage, they get a % of min wage, after a certain amount of suspected tips are figured in. We are not talking fast food counter type of employees, we are talking sit down restaurants. Now what you do and do not tip is strictly your business, but don't think that gal or guy who is waiting on you is automatically making min wage.
All servers make at least minimum wage in all 50 states (as they should). It's against the law for them to make less than minimum wage. If they don't make enough in tips to clear minimum wage, their employer covers the difference. In my state (WA) they get the full minimum wage as well as tips. Minimum wage in my city (Seattle) is about to go up to $15 an hour. This means that a server in a decent restaurant is going to make between $35-$50 an hour. That's more than I make as a physical therapist. I can't support the idea of an unskilled worker making that amount of money.

Tipping isn't about getting good service anymore. It's about societal pressure telling us to kick down some $$$ to someone because their employer is too cheap to pay them a livable wage. If I tip a server for this reason, than I should be tipping farm workers, telemarketers or that person that takes my ticket at the movie theater. The whole concept of automatically tipping in this country is stupid.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Firemen are people. Garbagemen are people. Grocery clerks are people. Are you trying to say that we should tip them too?
You don't? I tip my garbage men and mailman every christmas ($20 per person), and help the garbage men load the truck. I buy the clerk at the grocery store biscotti (her favorite ever since she took a high school trip to italy) every once in a while.

I treat people as human beings. Money is just money.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:56 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,745,943 times
Question Who exactly is saying "20-25% is normal'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
For a typical restaurant in a more urban area, 20-25% is normal.
If you look at the analysis posted of Square Transactions earlier this year (which itself is a skewed sample set), Square reports a nationwide average of 16.1%, and Denver has the highest average tip for any individual city at 16.8 percent.

So again, how is 20-25% normal?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you look at the analysis posted of Square Transactions earlier this year (which itself is a skewed sample set), Square reports a nationwide average of 16.1%, and Denver has the highest average tip for any individual city at 16.8 percent.

So again, how is 20-25% normal?
Did you even bother to read what I posted?

Your statistics include ALL RESTAURANTS, which include streetside stands (where tipping isn't the norm) and buffets (where $1-2 tips, regardless of the bill are the norm)

Old 06-15-2014, 03:02 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,881,522 times
I wasn't aware the norm had changed. 20% +/- is about the most I tip when the service is outstanding. When the bill is small, such as my wife and I have breakfast for $15-20, I have another rule of thumb which is that I tip $2/person, so that would sometimes be more than 20%.

Anyway, no, our dining out habits have not changed.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
20% IS now standard, whether you heard about it or not. It has gone up because everyone's cost of everything has gone up, don't you get that? It's not only restaurant prices that have increased, but rent, gas, clothes, electricity, etc. If you're still tipping 10% because that's what you tipped 25 years ago then you're not acknowledging the increased cost of living for everyone, waitstaff included.

If you don't want to tip 20% or even 15% then go to a buffet and leave $1 on the table or get takeout and stay home. Get with the times.

PS - a lot of people who wait tables are doing that while they are going to college or supporting someone else who is furthering their education.
no, 20% isn't standard, maybe in parts of Ill but not nationwide: 18% maybe and as for buffets, it is $1 per person, where have you been for the past 20 or 30 years?

I agree a lot who wait tables are college kids, my daughter did it, so have 2 of my grandkids, and let me tell you, even at 15% if they work in a middle of the road establishment, like Out Back they make enough to support themselves and the family almost. It is hard work, no one denies that, there are those who do not tip or are still tipping at 10% or whatever, but the money is there. As I mentioned yesterday. our daughter, with an education chose to work as a cocktail waitress for several years: why, she worked part time and made a heck of a lot more than she would have made at a 9 to 5 job. Now for your argument about 25 years ago versus now: prices for meals were a lot less than now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink