U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
It hasn't affected my eating out and I still tip between 10 and 20% depending on the service.

I didn't know that tipping had increased to 20%.
I don't think 20% is standard everywhere, 18% yes. But standard or not, I think, like you, there is no chart, just tip according to service and how you personally feel. For those who say, if you can't afford 20% you can't afford to eat out; who said we couldn't afford this or that. It is a matter of what makes you comfortable. Of course custom plays a part...

Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 AM

154 posts, read 374,318 times
It does seem that in the northeast 20% is the expected tip. Mostly, I say this because when I dine out with friends everyone wants to do the 20%! It has been this way for at least 5 years and I really don't know how or why this happened. Also, one of my big pet peeves is people insisting on including the tax as part of the total amount to base the tip on. Half the time I just let it go because it's really not worth pointing it out. But, on a big bill I will remind my friends that we really don't have to tip on the tax amount too!

Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,681,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It varies per situation... whether or no I'm working, if I'm still within my outside food budget, social calls, using up coupons/taking advantage of other discounts, but given all variables equal, I found myself eating out much less (gradually) ever since the new tipping norm went from 15% to 20%. Anybody else find themselves doing the same thing?

Some people say to eat out as much as I did and to just tip at/around 15% then, as if you eat out less, that's still less tip they're getting in the end. However, I'd rather do it the other way... go out less and tip at the new 20% instead. I figured those it affects would appreciate this more. I know an "old timer" who still remembers when a 10% was the norm and he had a similar reaction as I did.
I have always tipped 20% or more so it wasn't an issue for me.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,884,582 times
I'd be very happy if tipping went away completely and restaurants paid their workers a proper wage. Let the menu prices go up to compensate for this. That's how it is in most of the Western world.

We tip between 15 to 20% with 20% being the norm, but for truly good meals and service we will go higher.

That aside, one of the reasons I find tipping needlessly arbitrary is because the server will get different tips for the same work. Take two tables, each with a couple, they can easily have very different bills because one table ordered the vegetarian options and water while the other table ordered expensive steaks and wine. The work the waiter does is the same for each table, so why should he get a higher tip from one table and a lower tip from the other?

Then one table may decide to leave a 25% tip while the other table leaves the once standard 15% tip. It's all silly.

Get rid of tips. Raise menu prices. Pay the waiters a proper salary. I'm not worried that the quality of service will decline if tipping goes away. The best service I've ever had was in top notch European restaurants where tipping wasn't expected.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM

1,198 posts, read 913,097 times
I don't tip unless the server goes out of their way to do something. Here in Seattle they already make $10 an hour typically, and they're about to make $15 an hour. I've been a server in at a chain restaurant, and I've also worked in fast food. Fast food is hands down a harder job, and nobody ever tips them. If these people want to make a decent living, than they can go to school, or learn an actual skill like the rest of us. I don't support the notion of some girl making $30 an hour just for being attractive, unless she's taking her clothes off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

Old 06-14-2014, 11:24 AM

820 posts, read 939,943 times
The cost of tipping is part of the meal. Crap service = no tip. Good = 20%, Okay = 15%

Old 06-14-2014, 11:29 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,017,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I don't tip unless the server goes out of their way to do something. Here in Seattle they already make $10 an hour typically, and they're about to make $15 an hour. I've been a server in at a chain restaurant, and I've also worked in fast food. Fast food is hands down a harder job, and nobody ever tips them. If these people want to make a decent living, than they can go to school, or learn an actual skill like the rest of us. I don't support the notion of some girl making $30 an hour just for being attractive, unless she's taking her clothes off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38
So basically, you are comfortable screwing over the common worker to justify not having to pay as much for a meal? If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out. Don't use some BS philosophy as an excuse to be a cheapskate. You do realize that the clip you showed was making fun of him for being such a hypocritical tight-ass with his money, don't you? No one watches that and wants to be that guy.

Having been a server, I always tip 20% (and higher), unless they blatantly do something wrong

Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,566,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Fast food employees make minimum wage. Servers get paid around $2.00 which also involves setting
up the restaurant before opening and closing it down (no tipping there). Then (depending on the
type of restaurant) servers have to give a percentage to the bartender, food runners, bus boys and
at some places the cocktail waitresses.
There are many college graduates with degrees (male & female) working at restaurants for many reasons,
primarily because there aren't enough jobs in their field.
Also, the video had what 5-6 guys and only one was against the concept of tipping.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,068,065 times
Well, I used to be a server, and most of the time I will tip 20% or more. I've always given that when going out to eat. It's funny, sometimes when I DO tip 20% on good service, because I'm so used to giving 25-30% it seems low. Our bill is typically in the $20-$30 range. Just two entrees , and possibly two soft drinks. Typically don't drink alcohol at restaurants. Too expensive, and I would rather spend that money on an appetizer or dessert instead.

I have tipped less than that, I don't like to, but it all depends on the circumstance of course. However, I haven't had that happen to me in a long time. I normally never give less than 15%... in fact I can't even remember the last time I did.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

164 posts, read 151,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It varies per situation... whether or no I'm working, if I'm still within my outside food budget, social calls, using up coupons/taking advantage of other discounts, but given all variables equal, I found myself eating out much less (gradually) ever since the new tipping norm went from 15% to 20%. Anybody else find themselves doing the same thing?
I've been finding myself getting carryout more lately but I tip them around 10% especially if it's during busier time. And the better thing is, I don't have to wait more than half an hour to get in for more popular restaurants and I can eat my food in my undies if I want to in the comfort of my own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink