U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Get rid of tips. Raise menu prices. Pay the waiters a proper salary. I'm not worried that the quality of service will decline if tipping goes away. The best service I've ever had was in top notch European restaurants where tipping wasn't expected.
I agree.
As it is, tipping is basically the diner paying the wages of the wait staff. The restaurant's 2 bucks an hour obviously is not a wage of any sort. Your tip is their wage.
Give them a proper wage and raise the prices.

Two servers I know hate this idea because they say everyone lies about their tips and having a wage would mean no more under the table keeping extra money.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:47 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have always tipped 20% or more so it wasn't an issue for me.
Then you are much more generous than the average tipper. I get the wait staff loves to see you enter a restaurant.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 912,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Fast food employees make minimum wage. Servers get paid around $2.00 which also involves setting
up the restaurant before opening and closing it down (no tipping there). Then (depending on the
type of restaurant) servers have to give a percentage to the bartender, food runners, bus boys and
at some places the cocktail waitresses.
There are many college graduates with degrees (male & female) working at restaurants for many reasons,
primarily because there aren't enough jobs in their field.
Also, the video had what 5-6 guys and only one was against the concept of tipping.
Only in the heartland. Servers make minimum wage in every state that I've ever lived and worked in, and that's just under $10 an hour where I currently live, and it's about to go to $15 an hour. I've worked in both fast food and in a restaurant. Both jobs required me to close the place down; however, when I was a server, I didn't have to do dishes until 2 in the morning like I did when I worked at Pizza Hut, which was hands down a harder job then serving at Red Robin, which is hands down harder than serving at a nice restaurant. Waitresses just crack me up when they think their jobs are difficult. Try being a cable guy, or a plumber. These are jobs that actually require you to know something while you deal with jerkoff customer as you're doing a physically demanding job in what are often horrible conditions. Save me the pity party. There should be no such thing as a career server. Those jobs should be filled by teenagers or college kids, and they should not be making tips unless they are going above and beyond. The whole mentality of mandatory tipping is just stupid.

I will admit that mangers that work 60 hours a week in a restaurant often have difficult jobs, but serving tables is not a hard job. modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 06-14-2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: could be construed as personal attack on quoted post member

Old 06-14-2014, 12:51 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,743,911 times
Thumbs down 20%? Cheapskate -- New York Post says you need to tip 30%

I usually tip +15% of the pre-tax total on restaurant meals, but rarely 20% of more.

The "tipping norm" has not changed, it's just that some people (who are bad at math) feel that since prices are higher, the percentage given as a tip should also increase. I suspect this "tipping norm" inflation is a conspiracy by waitstaff to get themselves a raise. Joke is on them if the IRS (see 6053(c)(3)) decides to change the assumed tipped employee income to match -- restaurants will also suffer as they would end up paying more in FICA.

HuffPo says 20% is too low: "Forget 15 percent. Or even 20 percent. The new normal in restaurant tipping is to give a full 25 to 30 percent of the tab, the New York Post reports."

Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
I'd be very happy if tipping went away completely and restaurants paid their workers a proper wage. Let the menu prices go up to compensate for this. That's how it is in most of the Western world.

We tip between 15 to 20% with 20% being the norm, but for truly good meals and service we will go higher.

That aside, one of the reasons I find tipping needlessly arbitrary is because the server will get different tips for the same work. Take two tables, each with a couple, they can easily have very different bills because one table ordered the vegetarian options and water while the other table ordered expensive steaks and wine. The work the waiter does is the same for each table, so why should he get a higher tip from one table and a lower tip from the other?

Then one table may decide to leave a 25% tip while the other table leaves the once standard 15% tip. It's all silly.

Get rid of tips. Raise menu prices. Pay the waiters a proper salary. I'm not worried that the quality of service will decline if tipping goes away. The best service I've ever had was in top notch European restaurants where tipping wasn't expected.
Europe is not America and most of the European countries not either add a 10% service charge or they expect you to leave, at least a few $$s. Even the nicer hotels in London charge the service charge: what is the difference, plus the prices are higher than we pay here in America.

Pay the wait staff more? You are not the only one who feels this way, but ask a wait person: most do not agree, specially the good ones. They make $100 or more a night and do not claim all this on their income tax, so they make out in the end. Technically tipping is for service. It is not part of the wages. yes, we all know this is not always true, but your reasoning while making sense will never happen.

Luckyforlffe: I don't know what states you are referring to, but many states, not just the heartland, do not pay min wage or $10 an hour to their wait staff.

Nonesuch: I really don't care 2 hoots what the Hpost or the NYTimes has to say. I doubt many do.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-14-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Actually $1-200 is not a per night earnings for the vast majority of servers. That might be on an exceptionally good Friday night working at a more popular place, but you can bet that they are also working on slower days where they may make $20-30. I have seen servers drive in to work for their shift ad wind up being cut and sent home before they made more than about $5-10 because business was just bad. Those servers did not even make enough to pay for their gas to get to work that day. And then they usually have to share whatever they made that day with the busser and the bar tender and possibly the dish washer and cooks depending on the individual place. So whatever they take in for the night is not what they are taking home.

If a server is working at a restaurant with a more up scale clientele and higher menu prices it stands to reason that the people eating there can afford to tip appropriately. Of course most people don't not tip because they can't afford to. They don't tip or tip badly generally because they have some negative view of the profession despite the fact that said profession is providing their leisurely and pleasant night of not having to cook that fancy meal.
Having a daughter who choose to be a cocktail waitress over using her education for many years because she made more, and having a grandson in law who worked his way through college as a wait person in a middle of the road type restaurant, I know you are not really right: $200 a night, ok over the top, but $100 a shift is not, at all unheard of.

And where in the world are you getting that wild idea, people do not tip because they look down on people who work in restaurants. I have heard a lot of reasons for not tipping, but this is a new one.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

1,108 posts, read 978,239 times
My tipping and frequency of eating out hasn't changed at all. I've always tipped above 20 percent, and I don't go to restaurants that require a tip too often. In fact, I'll avoid places where tipping is required sometimes in favor of establishments that don't require tips. I really hate the tipping culture (and tip jars at the cash register) and wish restaurants would just pay their waitstaff a decent wage instead of relying on the customers to come through. However, I am sympathetic to waitstaff and tip accordingly realizing that they can have a difficult job that I wouldn't be able to handle myself. I leave the same standard tip (25%) regardless of service because I only care about the food. Quite frankly I've always thought the kitchen staff should be getting the tips (that seems more hot and pressure-packed than waiting tables), but I guess they're already compensated well enough.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,196,741 times
No, but I tend to eat out less due to the general price of meals. I usually only eat out now for special occasions or to break the monotony of cooking at home.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:02 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It varies per situation... whether or no I'm working, if I'm still within my outside food budget, social calls, using up coupons/taking advantage of other discounts, but given all variables equal, I found myself eating out much less (gradually) ever since the new tipping norm went from 15% to 20%. Anybody else find themselves doing the same thing?

Some people say to eat out as much as I did and to just tip at/around 15% then, as if you eat out less, that's still less tip they're getting in the end. However, I'd rather do it the other way... go out less and tip at the new 20% instead. I figured those it affects would appreciate this more. I know an "old timer" who still remembers when a 10% was the norm and he had a similar reaction as I did.
Same here. We rarely eat out now. We'll get carry out instead. It's really the value of the service that bothers me. I feel I'm over paying for someone to carry plates to my table. Why is it worth $20 for someone to bring two drinks, an appetizer, two salads and two dinner plates to my table at restaurant #1 because the bill was $100 while the same actual service is worth $10 at restaurant #2 because the bill was $50? Isn't the work the same?

I wish restaurants would just pay their servers and tipping would stop. The price of my meal going up doesn't mean my server did more work for me.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-14-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
I tip well for good service and I don't mind at all. They work hard and I get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink