U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM

69,511 posts, read 79,776,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
How is that wrong? even your link shows that every state I've ever lived in pays the full minimum wage. Also, my points are relevant to the discussion.
no matter what you may think: most states wait people do not get min wage, they get a % of min wage, after a certain amount of suspected tips are figured in. We are not talking fast food counter type of employees, we are talking sit down restaurants. Now what you do and do not tip is strictly your business, but don't think that gal or guy who is waiting on you is automatically making min wage.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,527 posts, read 50,927,768 times
I don't care what the "norm" is. I tip strictly on the basis of the quality of the service, and it can be anywhere from 0-25%. Eventually we learn which restaurants have the best food and service and stick to them so most of the time I'm at about 15%. In the last week we ate out twice, one was 15% the other 20%. If anything we out more now, but it's only because we can afford to after a few lean years when it was a rare treat.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 AM
gg

17,034 posts, read 17,260,013 times
I eat out less because I feel that industry has either gone down in quality or had to raise prices of food significantly. Seems like if you go out these days with three people it is $100. I can buy a whole filet roast for that and eat much better. Heck you can go out to restaurants that charge $20 for a plate of pasta that would cost .99, plus some sauce.

Anyway, tipping never influenced my going out. I just think there is very few good places to eat out. Mostly all frozen garbage unless you are spending big bucks and even then many times it isn't good.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,482,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no matter what you may think: most states wait people do not get min wage, they get a % of min wage, after a certain amount of suspected tips are figured in. We are not talking fast food counter type of employees, we are talking sit down restaurants. Now what you do and do not tip is strictly your business, but don't think that gal or guy who is waiting on you is automatically making min wage.
The way this works is that employers are supposed to guarantee minimum wage for a shift even if the wage plus tips earned are below the Federal minimum. The employer is supposed to make that up. So in theory, every server makes the Federal minimum.

Of course if a restaurant is continually making up that difference, that would imply they're either overstaffed or suck. Either way they won't be in business for long.

I don't know a single server who would've accepted their job if the earnings ceiling was minimum wage.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,424,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It varies per situation... whether or no I'm working, if I'm still within my outside food budget, social calls, using up coupons/taking advantage of other discounts, but given all variables equal, I found myself eating out much less (gradually) ever since the new tipping norm went from 15% to 20%. Anybody else find themselves doing the same thing?

Some people say to eat out as much as I did and to just tip at/around 15% then, as if you eat out less, that's still less tip they're getting in the end. However, I'd rather do it the other way... go out less and tip at the new 20% instead. I figured those it affects would appreciate this more. I know an "old timer" who still remembers when a 10% was the norm and he had a similar reaction as I did.
Tipping never went from 15% to 20%. The percentages are a completely made up thing. Ask yourself who made all this percentage thing up?

Tip what you think the service was worth. Make things simple.

Things can be really simple if you pay no attention to all the things people make up trying to dictate to you what you should do. It is your money, not theirs.

Really, why listen to anyone that tells you what you should do with your money unless it is the person in the mirror.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I didn't know that tipping had increased to 20%.
Nor did I. I give 15% if the service was good and 20% of the service was exceptional. If I get terrible service or if the server is rude, I'll give them nothing and never venture into that establishment again.

I'm not exactly sure who "increased" the standard tip from 15% to 20%. As far as I am concerned, 15% is plenty. If you work in the service industry and feel you are not being properly compensated for your hard work, stop complaining about tips and try marketing your skill set to a different employer who will provide better compensation. That's exactly what the rest of us have to do when we aren't happy with our wages.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

69,511 posts, read 79,776,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The way this works is that employers are supposed to guarantee minimum wage for a shift even if the wage plus tips earned are below the Federal minimum. The employer is supposed to make that up. So in theory, every server makes the Federal minimum.

Of course if a restaurant is continually making up that difference, that would imply they're either overstaffed or suck. Either way they won't be in business for long.

I don't know a single server who would've accepted their job if the earnings ceiling was minimum wage.
exactly; that is what we are trying to explain to the guy who thinks they all make $10 an hour or what. There basic salary from the restaurants is no where near min wage. The min wage comes into consideration when you figure in tips.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,111,814 times
20% IS now standard, whether you heard about it or not. It has gone up because everyone's cost of everything has gone up, don't you get that? It's not only restaurant prices that have increased, but rent, gas, clothes, electricity, etc. If you're still tipping 10% because that's what you tipped 25 years ago then you're not acknowledging the increased cost of living for everyone, waitstaff included.

If you don't want to tip 20% or even 15% then go to a buffet and leave $1 on the table or get takeout and stay home. Get with the times.

PS - a lot of people who wait tables are doing that while they are going to college or supporting someone else who is furthering their education.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM

164 posts, read 152,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
PS - a lot of people who wait tables are doing that while they are going to college or supporting someone else who is furthering their education.
One can say that about other low wage workers as well. Tip jars for everybody?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:49 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,966,662 times
The tipping norm isn't the same every day. Those who don't want to pay 20% tips should only eat out on the days the norm goes down to 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink