U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2014, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,119,712 times
Reputation: 12900

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
One can say that about other low wage workers as well. Tip jars for everybody?
Living Wage for everybody. But until then, sure!

 
Old 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,746 posts, read 21,595,339 times
Reputation: 13341
I wouldn't eat out at all if I wasn't willing to or couldn't add a 20% tip and I won't eat out with other people who are cheapskates because what they do is see that you've left 8 dollars and figure that they can just drop 2 bucks. Those scumbags should just go eat at Taco Bell.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 01:52 PM
 
Location: North Oakland
8,876 posts, read 8,227,549 times
Reputation: 13453
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I wouldn't eat out at all if I wasn't willing to or couldn't add a 20% tip and I won't eat out with other people who are cheapskates because what they do is see that you've left 8 dollars and figure that they can just drop 2 bucks. Those scumbags should just go eat at Taco Bell.
My friend the cheapskate and I ate out once, and the bill came to a few cents under $16. I put in $10, he put in $10. I was ready to leave. He wanted to wait and get change so he could leave $1.50 tip rather than $2. I've asked for separate checks ever since.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,068,402 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My friend the cheapskate and I ate out once, and the bill came to a few cents under $16. I put in $10, he put in $10. I was ready to leave. He wanted to wait and get change so he could leave $1.50 tip rather than $2. I've asked for separate checks ever since.
I have a few friends where I always have to get up, pretend to go to the bathroom and hand the server a few extra dollars because they think 10-15% is good enough.

I have two degrees, and the only way I could afford to pay for them was working as a waiter to make money, so I am very sympathetic. I often give 20-30%, because most servers are working to make enough cash to pay for school, and I have been there.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM
 
164 posts, read 152,388 times
Reputation: 198
I am living with a waiter with a Business Administration degree from a UC. Still waitering after a decade out of college. His average tips when going to a sit in restaurant? 10%. And at high end buffets: 1 dollar. College students might be drawn to waitering because it gives them a chance to earn higher than minimum wage. But if it weren't for conventions, I wouldn't pay them sales tax x 2. Somehow I don't think I'm getting that much service out of regular sit in restaurant waitress than buffet waiter/waitress who keep on coming back to clear my plates, refill my drinks and keep me supplied with napkins. I'm usually a very easy diner to please. Why should I pay a regular sit in restaurant waiter more because some douche at the next table decided to make their life a misery?


Wouldn't all the carryouts just turn these waiters into little more than fast food order takers?
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Washington State. Not Seattle.
1,918 posts, read 2,110,993 times
Reputation: 2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
20% IS now standard, whether you heard about it or not. It has gone up because everyone's cost of everything has gone up, don't you get that? It's not only restaurant prices that have increased, but rent, gas, clothes, electricity, etc. If you're still tipping 10% because that's what you tipped 25 years ago then you're not acknowledging the increased cost of living for everyone, waitstaff included.

If you don't want to tip 20% or even 15% then go to a buffet and leave $1 on the table or get takeout and stay home. Get with the times.

PS - a lot of people who wait tables are doing that while they are going to college or supporting someone else who is furthering their education.
I'm not sure you understand how a percentage works. As the costs of living go up, the costs of food go up, and so the per-plate costs go up at the restaurant. So, if you are paying more for the food, then in turn, the PERCENTAGE of the tip can stay the same, yet the amount of the tip increases.

Increasing the percentage has nothing to do with costs of living.



Personally, I don't care whatsoever if I am supporting some waiter's lifestyle or not. I go out to dinner to eat, hang out with friends, and enjoy myself. I don't go out to dinner because I feel some need to contribute to some stranger's personal income.

Having said that, I don't have a problem tipping 20% if I feel like that particular waitperson actually cares about providing decent service.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,068,402 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I'm not sure you understand how a percentage works. As the costs of living go up, the costs of food go up, and so the per-plate costs go up at the restaurant. So, if you are paying more for the food, then in turn, the PERCENTAGE of the tip can stay the same, yet the amount of the tip increases.

Increasing the percentage has nothing to do with costs of living.



Personally, I don't care whatsoever if I am supporting some waiter's lifestyle or not. I go out to dinner to eat, hang out with friends, and enjoy myself. I don't go out to dinner because I feel some need to contribute to some stranger's personal income.

Having said that, I don't have a problem tipping 20% if I feel like that particular waitperson actually cares about providing decent service.
I understand (and agree with) what you are saying about the percentage increase not being tied to rising food costs, but that doesn't change the fact that 20% is average today.

For better or worse, we have societal norms that we all live by. It also wouldn't hurt you to think of service people as actual PEOPLE, and not just a means to you enjoying a night out.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,175,745 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
20% IS now standard, whether you heard about it or not. It has gone up because everyone's cost of everything has gone up, don't you get that?
If everything has gone up, including the cost of the meal I am eating then the amount of the tip would go up proportionally as well.

For example, let's look at a $50 meal that has gone up to $60:

$50 meal at 15% tip = $7.50 for the server.
$60 meal at 15% tip = $9.00 for the server.
$60 meal at $20% tip = $12.00 for the server.

That is not a mere 5% increase in the tip, that is actually a 33.75% increase in the tip amount when you factor in the additional cost for the increased meal price, assuming of course that the cost of the meal only rose by $10.

BTW: If everyone "stayed home" as you eloquently put it, the size of your tip would be the least of your worries when your employer closes down due to lack of business. Don't you get that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
Wouldn't all the carryouts just turn these waiters into little more than fast food order takers?
Actually, it would make them grocery baggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand (and agree with) what you are saying about the percentage increase not being tied to rising food costs, but that doesn't change the fact that 20% is average today.
The only people who keep repeating this is disgruntled wait staff who are bitter about having a low-paying job and no marketable skills to help them improve their station in life.

Quote:
For better or worse, we have societal norms that we all live by. It also wouldn't hurt you to think of service people as actual PEOPLE, and not just a means to you enjoying a night out.
Firemen are people. Garbagemen are people. Grocery clerks are people. Are you trying to say that we should tip them too?

Last edited by Annuvin; 06-15-2014 at 03:01 PM..
 
Old 06-15-2014, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,356,367 times
Reputation: 7092
I am glad that you pointed out the psuedo 'cost-of-living' and the cost of restaurant dining relationship. Those were my thoughts exactly but I was too lazy to research the topic and present some evidence. Given that the 2 correlate very closely, why should tipping increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
As I recall, the IRS used to estimate waitstaff tips at 8% of the gross; they don't disclose the current estimate, but most sources suggest it's around 14%. If the expected tip has increased so much in the last few years, the IRS needs to increase their baseline to match, resulting in more FICA being paid by the employer, increased withholding on waitstaff paychecks, and a larger tax bill due from all tipped employees on April 15th.

I am all for tipped employees and their employers paying a more accurate tax rate on waiter's tip income.


Really? Please explain further. Is there some sort of iPhone app I can use to track this?


No, 20% is NOT standard, and the "standard" tip percentage does not need to go up, that's why we tip a percentage of the pre-tax bill.

As restaurant prices climb, the total amount you tip increases proportionally with a straight 15% tip percentage. Simple math. But have restaurant prices kept up with the increase in other consumer costs?

Let's see:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/
I linked the graph: https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred...revision_date=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
So the percentage of the bill given as a tip should, if anything, decrease to keep tip income in line with inflation.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 03:16 PM
 
Location: West Madison^WMHT
3,184 posts, read 2,783,648 times
Reputation: 3843
Default Analysis of credit card receipts show the average tip is right about 14%.

The one case where I consistently tip above 20% is bartenders. I'll tip five bucks on the first round (or a dollar a drink, whichever is more), then if she tops off my beer (or at least doesn't serve short pours), it stays at that same high rate.

On introspection, it's not really a tip, more like a bribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
Wouldn't all the carryouts just turn these waiters into little more than fast food order takers?
One strange thing I've noticed with carry out orders. I will write in $3-$5 as a tip, but my credit card statement never reflects the tip, only the original food total? But that's a story for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand (and agree with) what you are saying about the percentage increase not being tied to rising food costs, but that doesn't change the fact that 20% is average today.
Funny, on the forums and complaint sites wait staff want us to believe 20% is average today, but when it comes to reporting income to the IRS, they claim much less, lower even than the 14% rate found through analysis of credit card transactions at fine dining restaurants.

So no, 20% is not the average today, that is wishful thinking by tax-evading waiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top