Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Only in the heartland. Servers make minimum wage in every state that I've ever lived and worked in, and that's just under $10 an hour where I currently live, and it's about to go to $15 an hour. I've worked in both fast food and in a restaurant.
Wrong. Also, again not all servers are female, fast food restaurants are different and this topic is
not about plumbers or the cable guy.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've seen some places *restaurant, hair, nails* lately that have started requesting tips in cash. Not sure I agree with that. In fact, I've avoided going back. It seems a bit greedy and dishonest.
You might find it unpleasant, but there can be more than one legitimate reason for the request (aside from the factor that they are easier to hide from the IRS).

First, if you are paying by credit card, it's up to the owner (or maybe even an accountant) to funnel the tip to the person who served you. Customers have no way of knowing if that actually happens. Depending on the pay procedure, a salon worker might not even be able to see what individual customers gave them as a tip. Hardly an incentive for them to go the extra mile, if you ask me. Sometimes, salons don't even give the worker the particular tip they earned; tips are all just put into a group kitty that is split among the entire staff by whatever share the owner has worked out with that particular worker.

Second, when tips are charged on a card, a portion of that total bill goes to the credit card company (which can range from 2% to more than 5%, depending on volume of sales, among other factors). That means money is being subtracted from that tip, which goes to VISA or AmEx or wherever. I'm doubt you meant to tip a financial giant for good service, but when you charge a tip you do that, unless an exceptionally kind business owner makes up for it to his or her workers.

Needless to say, cash tips handed directly to servers, salon workers, drivers, landscapers, etc., are enormously appreciated.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
My daughter worked as a waitress during college. A lot. After hearing her horror stories, our tipping has been upped considerably.

My view is that a couple of dollars means a lot more to someone relying on tips for a living, than it does to me.

No matter how big a tip you give, some high maintenance jerk will leave nothing, so it balances out!

Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 PM

84 posts, read 241,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It varies per situation... whether or no I'm working, if I'm still within my outside food budget, social calls, using up coupons/taking advantage of other discounts, but given all variables equal, I found myself eating out much less (gradually) ever since the new tipping norm went from 15% to 20%. Anybody else find themselves doing the same thing?

Some people say to eat out as much as I did and to just tip at/around 15% then, as if you eat out less, that's still less tip they're getting in the end. However, I'd rather do it the other way... go out less and tip at the new 20% instead. I figured those it affects would appreciate this more. I know an "old timer" who still remembers when a 10% was the norm and he had a similar reaction as I did.
I tip 15% unless it is exceptional service, it is your choice on how much you leave as a tip. Having been a waitress, I expect excellent service as that is what a tip is paid on. As an example, if I do not get a napkin with my drink I tip 10%, sorry for the server, but poor management has not trained them properly. I tell the waitress why and normally ask to speak with management. You tip according to the service you get not the norm.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:05 PM

84 posts, read 241,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
What state is that? I know when I worked as a server I got $25 a shift. Period. That isn't something you can live off of.
In MD your are required to pay a percentage of the minim wage, which is not much, but being a waitress is also a profession and if you are good and in the right location you will do well, speaking from experience as a cocktail waitress.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I tip between 15 and 20%. If the waiter did the absolute minimum required to ensure that my visit was merely acceptable - they get 15%. Their tip goes up depending on how much better than "acceptable" the services was.

If the waiter did -less- than the absolute minimum required to ensure that my visit was merely acceptable, then they get no tip, AND I explain to the manager why their waiter just got no tip. If they performed a particularly spectacular job with their service, they get the 20% AND I make sure the manager knows that this one guest was really happy with the service and looks forward to repeat visits, hopefully with that server assigned to my table.

All of the above is regardless of the quality of the food. If the food's no good, the waiter shouldn't suffer for it. But I will let the server know the food wasn't good and if the server is unable to get it corrected in the kitchen I'll let the manager know that the quality of the food was sub-par, and I'll tell them exactly what it was that I didn't like. They can't fix something if no one tells them it's broken.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I tip based on service, period. 0-25% is my range. I have walked off and given zero tip when the situation warrants it.
I never leave zero. Bad service gets exactly one penny. It lets the waiter know that I didn't forget about the tip, but that his service was lousy!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Wrong. Also, again not all servers are female, fast food restaurants are different and this topic is
not about plumbers or the cable guy.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
How is that wrong? even your link shows that every state I've ever lived in pays the full minimum wage. Also, my points are relevant to the discussion.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:21 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
No, tipping has no relevance in whether, or how often, I eat out.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
How is that wrong? even your link shows that every state I've ever lived in pays the full minimum wage. Also, my points are relevant to the discussion.
OK, then you live in one of the higher paying states, but there are 7 of those out of 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink