Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times

Advertisements

No. And I still tip 15%. I used to be a food runner, banquet server and room service attendant and have had two seperate jobs delivering pizzas. Ya know what I did when I wanted to make more money. I WENT TO COLLEGE AND GOT AN ENGINEERING DEGREE!!! You want to make more money?? Work towards getting a better job!!!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I didn't have to do dishes until 2 in the morning like I did when I worked at Pizza Hut,
This is something else I have to take issue with. Servers get tipped and runners and bus boys get a portion of those tips. Bartenders get their own seperate tips as well as a portion of the servers tips. What about the guy that is there until 2am doing dishes, mopping the floor and cleaning the bathrooms??? He works 10 times as hard as the front room staff but doesnt make squat. All front room staff should have to give a portion of their tips to the dishwasher.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
No. it does not deter me. I probably give 20% nearly half of the time, but also still 15% just as frequently. It is only a suggested amount. Doing the math, a $50 tab at 15% yields a tip of $7.50. At 20% that is $10.00. I don't think the extra $2.50 for such a meal will break the bank for most childless couples and single people and discourage them from occasionally dining out. Larger families might cut back a little or opt for takeout orders to avoid tips as they often have the larger triple digit tabs and a higher tip to pay for table service if they are following suggested guidelines.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Living Wage for everybody...
Not gonna happen, not if servers are relying on my tips.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
I give 10%. Not into the whole idea that waiters deserve $300+ / night etc.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Then you are much more generous than the average tipper. I get the wait staff loves to see you enter a restaurant.
Yes, they do. We also get our drinks faster, and our meals are never wrong. I don't see tipping as a one-time thing. I consider it part of a relationship with the waitress, and I will keep coming back as long as both of us are happy.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I do tip; I just don't do it every time because society says I have to tip certain people, and I certainly don't tip 20%. Why should I have to throw someone an extra $20 for serving me and my GF some food and drinks that they're already being paid to serve. $20 is more than what I pay my neighbors kid to mow my lawn, which is actual work. It's not my fault these people don't have any skills, or they can't find a better job.

My biggest problem is not that these people receive tips, it's that other non-skilled workers don't receive tips. The whole thing is just stupid.
You should tip because you live in a society and have to actually think about someone other than yourself. Don't punish a waiter/waitress just because you want to enjoy going out to eat, but want to be a cheapskate about it.

Or just be a big enough person to admit you are just cheap, and are looking for an excuse.

Not tipping (or tipping a lot less than 20%) is like going to an ice cream parlor, eating 10 samples and then not buying anything. Is it illegal? No. Should you be embarrassed to do it? Absolutely.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM

119 posts, read 300,261 times
It hasn't deterred me. In fact I didn't even know there was a standard amount for tipping until recently. I tipped what I felt like tipping for a long time and never received bad service. Who comes up with this percentage anyway?

Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
20% IS now standard, whether you heard about it or not. It has gone up because everyone's cost of everything has gone up, don't you get that?
So? I haven't had a pay increase since 2008 but I manage.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Because it's their job and they would get fired just like I would if I didn't do my job. people would get up and leave or stop coming in all together

Are you for real? It's a service job. I'm not expected to kiss somebodies azz just to get them to do their job. We're not talking about the some old crab working at the DMV that can make my life a variable hell if they want to.
Incentives matter in the workplace. I fundamentally believe no employee (for any company in any industry) should be paid a salary, regardless of performance. Tipping is pay for performance in the service industry, which is why it is a good model. Putting myself in the shoes of a server, I would want to be able to prove I am worth more money if I was better at my job than the next guy. Tipping lets that server do that.

Any pay structure that pays every employee the same (and relies on discretionary raises by management for higher pay) is one that we need to do away with. All pure salary (or hourly for that matter) pay does is incentivize laziness.

So getting back to the topic of this post. Why don't you want to tip, if it isn't simply because you want to get away with paying less than ever other person that goes to a restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink