Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 01:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else noticed restaurants not charging the same amount as the total amount written in on a credit card receipt? Sometimes they will round down to the nearest dollar, and on carryout orders, often the tip amount is left off entirely. Seems to be happening more and more often.

For the past 5 years or so, most of my dining out has been work-related, but charged to a personal credit card (I don't have a business card). So I reconcile my charge slips to my CC bill and file (online) for reimbursement; but the totals never add up. Also it seems like many restaurants are batching their processing, as the dates are also wrong; the date shown on my CC statement is often 2 or even 3 days after the actual event.

While the amounts and date more often than not are a bit off, I am rarely overcharged, and only once was double-charged (CC processors have logic in the system to catch the latter, so should never happen 'accidentally').

I originally started out trying Mark Frauenfelder's checksum method to differentiate between personal meals and meals I needed to expense, but so many restaurants would just round down the cents to zero that I quickly gave up on that. More recently I have noticed weird inconsistencies in the amount charged. I will clearly write in $62.28 for the total, and when I get my credit card bill, I was charged 62.22.

Is the person keying in the amounts so lazy that it's easier to spam the '2' key than to get it right, and don't bother to even key in my (usually $3-$5) tip on pickup orders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:46 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Yes, they leave my tip off at some places. Other places will charge, I'm sure why. Instead I usually just pay in cash, so the tip is received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink