U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,222,968 times

Advertisements

Typically, any restaurant sourcing fresh, local ingredients will be superior to chain restaurants. However, local restaurants normally cater to local taste preferences - how do you think fried mullet is so successful in one region and despised in another region?

Many tourists flock to the recognized chains because they already know what they'll get. I was surprised when we met some friends in Florida and they decided we should all meet at a national BBQ chain restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:37 AM

29,661 posts, read 32,101,496 times
My friend in NJ loves this place. In the Bay Area they don't have any so I can't say. I wish they did, we don't have tons of places to go for fish.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,492,025 times
Much of the non-coastal parts of the US don't have much in the way of choice for seafood restaurants other than Red Lobster. And fish/seafood options at other chains (OG, Applebees, etc.) are almost always awful. So Bonefish is in an underserved niche. All they need to do to be successful is be competent, not exceptional. The market is there.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM

69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I feel the same way about Applebee's, I can't believe how crowded every location is and how many claim to love it.

To each his own! I don't eat there and can't figure out why people love nuke 'n fry. But if they want to eat there more power to them.
Applebees I agree with, but I have never even had anything fried at Bonefish. I don't order fried foods except French fries very often, certainly not at the price Bonefish charges.

I will add, yes, it is a chain, nothing special, but for many people it is dependable, has a decent choice, we have always had great service and remember, for many of us, not living on either coast we have to depend on places like Bonefish and Crabby's for our seafood. If I lived on one of the coasts I would frequent local seafood restaurants.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 AM

14,700 posts, read 29,851,925 times
I live in Florida, where Bonefish originated. The ones in Florida are the best, especially where I live in Sarasota, that restaurant is AWESOME! Now, I agree about bang-bang shrimp, I tried it and it made me sick. But they have the best, freshest seafood, we eat there all the time and I NEVER have a bad meal. I am picky about my fish and it ranks up there with the best seafood restaurants for me. The salads and breads are just so-so, but that's OK, it's the main meal that counts for me.

We have eaten at Bonefish out of state (North Carolina) and while OK, not nearly as good as the ones I have eaten at in Florida.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM

69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I live in Florida, where Bonefish originated. The ones in Florida are the best, especially where I live in Sarasota, that restaurant is AWESOME! Now, I agree about bang-bang shrimp, I tried it and it made me sick. But they have the best, freshest seafood, we eat there all the time and I NEVER have a bad meal. I am picky about my fish and it ranks up there with the best seafood restaurants for me. The salads and breads are just so-so, but that's OK, it's the main meal that counts for me.

We have eaten at Bonefish out of state (North Carolina) and while OK, not nearly as good as the ones I have eaten at in Florida.
We have only eaten at the one here in NWA and as I have said, we are satisfied and I was raised in a family of fishermen. My dad used to go both deep sea fishing and fresh water fishing. We have live on both coasts. I guess like most know, food is very subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink