U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM

8,930 posts, read 8,276,732 times

Advertisements

The 1997 version of Joy of Cooking has what I think is the best recipe for German chocolate cake, even if you don't go all the way with the coconut filling. It is a wonderfully light, airy cake.

The back of the Hershey's Cocoa can used to have my favorite chocolate cake recipe. That was so long ago, though, I don't know if it's still around, or if it is, whether it's the same.

The best flourless chocolate cake comes from Michael's in Santa Monica. I found the recipe in a 1999 or 1998 "Best of" issue of Bon Appetit. But I use the ganache from Maida Heatter's Queen Mother's Cake instead of Michael's frosting.

My favorite carrot cake recipe comes from the first Silver Palate Cookbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 PM

10,921 posts, read 19,199,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Some people have suggested flower nails on this thread but I must admit to never hearing about it until this thread. I'm a very good baker who has been baking for decades and I read a lot of baking cookbooks and baking blogs, and pretty much everyone bakes layer cakes in separate layer pans. It's more reliable and easier when you're learning how to bake. When you double or triple the amount of cake batter into one large pan you change the baking dynamics in the oven and that's always risky and should only be attempted once you have a thorough understanding of baking. It is a science, after all.

I think the first place I read about the flower nail was on Cake Central or the Wilton forums, about ten years ago. It's become quite common since then. It's not really about fitting more batter into one pan, but how to bake taller layers or larger layers and still get satisfactory results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or