U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:41 PM

459 posts, read 286,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Chop and freeze.
Yes... this too. Pretty good 2nd to fresh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I grow my own cilantro and parsley (garden in the summer and kitchen window the rest of the year) so I can usually just pluck what I need. However, I have found that cutting them and placing them in a glass of water in the refrigerator keeps them a long time. Just remember to change the water every now and then.

I am waiting to hear what people have to say about scallions (green onions). I am growing a lot in my garden this summer and will want to have a fresh supply long after the last harvest.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Japan had this green plastic bag impregnated with pumic since the war.

Debbie and Martha have a faux version of it that works great, as it
lets the greens breath.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
Keep 'em cut end in water... like a vase. Change the water daily & cut the stems. If its hot keep the whole shebang in the fridge.
Yes, that. I also get extra life from some things by wrapping them loosely in a wet paper towel and then putting that in a plastic bag without closing the top of the bag. Long ago I was given a tip about salad that I have found to be useful: put left-over salad (or salad prepared early for consumption later) in a bowl with a wet paper towel draped across the top and keep the bowl in the fridge. That method does indeed keep a salad crisp at least as long as the paper towel stays damp. I think the wet paper towel/plastic bag method functions in the same way.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,386,997 times
Default Funny you should ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
These things stay fresh only for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Is there a trick to keep them fresh for longer?
I used to get so irritated at buying cilantro (some people hate it but me and mine love it in many different dishes) and one day I bought some, coarse chopped it and decided to try putting it in a jar with some olive oil in it, put it in the fridge and see if it would give me a few more days longevity with it.

Worked like a charm (for my purposes anyway) lasted for nearly a month but I used the last of it by then so I don't know if it would have lasted beyond that time frame. It may also work for the parsley and scallions as well...try it, what have you got to lose.

Btw, I did not use some fancy, high priced olive oil. I used the Meijer brand EVOO that I purchase in the 3 liter size. I use enough EVOO that the size works out well for me.

Good luck and if you find out something that works for you, let us know!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 AM

33,031 posts, read 12,488,458 times
I cut the stems of parsley and cilantro, put them in glasses and set them on the counter. Looks like plants setting out and reminds me to use them.

I've done this and then put the plastic bag over the top and into the refrigerator. I suspect this makes them last longer. Alas, I usually end up throwing them in the worm bin when I put them in the fridge as I forget to use them.

If I'm not using them in salsa, tabouli, soup, and such, I chop up the leaves and put them on salad greens. There is even an herb mix salad green you can buy in a plastic clamshell that is really mixed baby greens with some chopped cilantro, etc. on top.

I put do the same with chives and green onions, though I don't cut the roots off of the green onions, and put them in vases on the counter.

I find it rather festive to have "plants" sitting around on the kitchen counter.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 AM

33,031 posts, read 12,488,458 times
A friend makes pesto out of cilantro, parsley, basil, green onions.... whatever she has that she isn't using up. Little olive oil, garlic, and into the blender. She freezes these in ice cube trays and dumps them into Ziploc bags to use later in sauces and soups. She will thaw out several pesto cubes and dollop them in the center of a bowl of soup before serving. I mean to try this.

I also grow cilantro, parsley, basil, and green onions in my gardens. They do quite well in the shady areas.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Some herbs keep well in a glass of water, like basil, but I did not have good luck with cilantro with that method. Maybe if I had cut of the ends of the stem, like for flowers, it would have worked.

After rinsing and rolling in a paper towel to absorb most of the moisture, I place the herb back in the plastic bag, but you must leave the bag open, and put it in the crisper drawer. This is true for lettuce too. Leave the bag open at the top.

Those plastic "boxes" that spring greens come in are good for keeping herbs and lettuce fresh. I reuse them.

If you feel like your herbs are not going to last until you use them, dry them and place them in a zip lock bag and freeze them. Add them frozen to recipes. They will be limp when they thaw, but they will retain their color and fresh taste at least.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,382,499 times
so what about green onions?, how do you get those to last longer

currently i only buy enough where i can use em immediately to avoid waste

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 AM

40 posts, read 67,752 times
Sounds like a lot of good tips here, that I'm going to try myself. A while back I bought a bluapple brand ethylene gas absorber that is supposed to prolong freshness of produce. I just took a look at their website to see what it says about the items you're asking about. For cilantro, parsley (it shows curly parsley), and scallions it says ethylene sensitivity is high. So if you're not already using something that absorbs ethylene, maybe it would help preserve the stuff you asked about (especially in combination with other suggestions). I've also been thinking about trying some of these food storage containers I saw on Amazon that are supposed to help preserve freshness of produce, by better controlling humidity and airflow I believe. They have different models that are supposed to work better for different kinds of produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I used to get so irritated at buying cilantro (some people hate it but me and mine love it in many different dishes)
I was just reading the Wikipedia entry on cilantro yesterday and was surprised to hear that some people find the taste or smell objectionable and that the cause may be genetic. It's under the heading "Leaves" that I linked to. I like cilantro. Now I want to try some culantro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink