Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

I need some advice as i am a meat eater as i love hamburger on my brocolli and red onion salads as all my meals are simple salads (no grains) but i decided to eat more salmon for the omega-3 fatty acids and so i purchase the ''chum'' type in the 15 oz cans however the smell and taste makes me gag as i need something to help on this. Are there any herbs or spices i can get off the spice isle at the grocery store that may help? Also i heard that squeezing a half lemon over the salad may help as i usually just use olive oil as my dressing as i want no processed salad dressings if i can help it.?

Thanks for any advice .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Buy better salmon

Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Empty the can into a strainer and slowly run cold water
over it and let it drain, yes lemon will help

I like to add fennel and garlic powder with fresh ground
black pepper

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Fresh salmon does not smell like that. I can't eat anything else. That sounds so lux poshy brat but I hate that smell too. Its from the decay. Fresh fish smells very little at all or just a bit sweet. You can pre-batch it and freeze the flakes/chunks. I usually wrap them in batches of wax paper and fold it up and just toss the pouches in a big ziplock freezer bag. Use the paper though or it gets freezer taste. Flatten the air out of the pouches upon folding.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
yes, lemon or lime will help. I'm thinking that the overpowering flavor of soy sauce would cut the taste also.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
I'm sorry, but toss those cans in the garbage. It is ironic because we are having salmon for dinner tonight. I only buy Wild Alaskan Salmon, (not farm raised--absolutely nothing from China), the fish does not have any smell whatsoever. If your fish smells "fishy" it is already getting old. My salmon is a beautiful pink/red. When I bring fresh fish home, I rinse it, pat dry and freeze in Food Saver bags, it can last that way for months. We may skimp on many things in our home, but never food, it is going into our bodies.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Hello my bro, here's my recommendation - get the salmon that comes in a foil pouch if you want the convenience of canned, but not the crappy flavor. I usually add lemon juice, olive oil, and chopped capers (or fresh dill, depending on what I'm in the mood for).

But I have to agree with the other posters who already said that fresh salmon is better, and if you want to save time and money, wait until you can get a whole filet of wild caught salmon on sale at a decent price, poach the thing, flake it and freeze in small quantities that you can remove one serving at a time from the freezer.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Those cans cost a couple of bucks apiece and there's all kinds of crap they don't clean like skin and softened bones. So your real yield is not so much good flesh, actually. At our Food 4 Less--you may have an equivalent, or Costco--they sell frozen fillets of about six individually wrapped packages. One fillet would equal a good can and a half, even two. They're $10.98, I think. It's a better product and a better bargain. During salmon season those massive fillets go for under $10 easily, and you can divide and freeze.

If you use the canned then make up a vinaigrette to keep in the fridge. I mash up a clove or two of minced garlic with minced green onion (yellow or white onion would be stronger) and a pinch of salt for extra abrasion, with the back of a spoon. Dill and lemon, then I pour in olive oil. Another strong fresh herb is tarragon but dry is just fine. Salt and pepper again to taste. Those are good strong flavors that'll meld the longer the vinaigrette sits in the fridge, up to a week. Toss the flaked salmon with the vinaigrette. Try tossing it first then keeping it in the fridge overnight to infuse the flavor. The oil coating isn't intended to mask anything , but it should help dial back any sharpness. Capers are great too to mix in. Fresh parsley and fresh green onion is good at serving time. Celery leaves also have a really crisp aroma if you don't have parsley on hand, as well as the stalks having crisp taste.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I'm sorry, but toss those cans in the garbage. It is ironic because we are having salmon for dinner tonight. I only buy Wild Alaskan Salmon, (not farm raised--absolutely nothing from China), the fish does not have any smell whatsoever. If your fish smells "fishy" it is already getting old.

Alaskan canned salmon is caught and immediately processed on the boats and has no smell. And it is probably fresher than what you are buying which may have been caught 2-3 weeks ago.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Wow lots of answers as i really appreciate everyone helping out here. I bought the Honey Boy brand canned salmon (Wild Alaskian) as i thought that the canning process is supposed to seal it airtight until opened and also it's so easy to just open the can and dump it into my salad and mix it into the salad as i don't have to cook it etc.

Anyway thanks again to all who helped out as i admit that i rarely ever eat fish as i've eaten beef for years and maybe i'm just not used to the fish taste as i'm just trying to get some more of the healthy Omega-3 fatty acids but again i appreciate everyone pointing out the disadvantages of canned salmon .

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink