Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Cakes don't get dried out if you don't have a self-defrosting refrigerator. So I am skeptical about the 100 year old statement. All you really have to do is put some wax paper over the cut edges and they won't dry out.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. Besides, I don't want people man-handling my cakes pushing them together and stuff, that's gross.

20yrsinBranson

Our cakes never last that long to dry out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Cakes don't get dried out if you don't have a self-defrosting refrigerator. So I am skeptical about the 100 year old statement. All you really have to do is put some wax paper over the cut edges and they won't dry out.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. Besides, I don't want people man-handling my cakes pushing them together and stuff, that's gross.

20yrsinBranson
I'm going to agree with you. One of the things I have to pass down to my daughters is a 140 year old cake plate with a cover that belonged to my MIL's grand mother. I think they just covered the cake.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't have any round cake pans. Sorry. OK I should have read the story but I was lazy today. LOL

Funny because my mom would bake rectangle cakes as well. My wife will order sheet cakes and they are rectangle. Guess I was not thinking. It happens often with me, I post before I think.
We all have our wonky days. Just remember, you can't fit a round cake pan into a rectangular... no wait... you can't cut a square cake with a round... oh, nevermind. Just have your cake & eat it, too!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finally watched the video (someone on Facebook had posted it) and the thing that stands out most to me was the man's wedding band. The fact that some woman married this guy is amazing to me. Can you imagine all the other "brilliant" methods he has of doing the mundane?!? GAH! Elastic bands all over the cake. His HANDS all over the cake. Feh!

I'm sticking to PantanjaliTwist's TRULY brilliant method. Twisty, I'm not going to say that it was *my* idea, though... you're getting all the kudos for this. Yeah, yeah, I know that you didn't come up with it either... you still get the credit.

If you don't like the idea of hands on your cake, don't ever get a cake with fondant. It's very much a hands-on technique.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Savannah Gutherie and Al Roker had fun with this on Today Show this morning. They had a gooey choclate cake and of course trying to put it back together and trying to put a ruberband around it proved very messy and looked quite stupid.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Cakes don't get dried out if you don't have a self-defrosting refrigerator.
You refrigerate cake?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You refrigerate cake?

They get moldy after a few days sometimes, if you don't refrigerate.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 AM

I never refrigerate cakes and I live in the most humid place in the states. I do cover with a cake cover or with saran wrap to keep it from drying out but we leave cakes on the counter for everybody to help themselves if they like. If I see a cake isn't going fast enough - a rare thing indeed at my house-I will simply freeze the rest to enjoy another time.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I never refrigerate cakes and I live in the most humid place in the states. I do cover with a cake cover or with saran wrap to keep it from drying out but we leave cakes on the counter for everybody to help themselves if they like. If I see a cake isn't going fast enough - a rare thing indeed at my house-I will simply freeze the rest to enjoy another time.
It depends upon how it's made. From a box with canned frosting, well, there are so many preservatives, it won't go bad left out of the fridge. A cake made from scratch and/or with whipped cream/cream cheese 'frosting' might be a sloppy mess if left out.

When I lived in NC & Atlanta, I found that bread or desserts were moldy overnight, if left out. But, they were all organic & made from scratch. I've even had cornbread dry & spoil after a couple of days & they're always covered in plastic or placed in Tupperware.

I'm curious, if you freeze cake, do you freeze it in 1 piece or cut it into pieces? How do you thaw it & serve it?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Lived in Atlanta for 30 years before we moved back to N.C. 5 years ago. Still didn't refrigerate any cake and haven't made a boxed cake mix or used caned frosting since the 70's. I think cold cake would taste bad. Now cream cheese frosting is another thing. I even had a thread about it here several months ago. All agreed that kind of frosting needed to be in the fridge.

Bread doesn't go the fridge either. however if I don't watch it hot dog and hamburger buns get moldy so after the first use I put them either in the fridge or freezer.

I freeze half cakes often---mainly to keep myself from scarfing down the whole thing! I just wrap in saran wrap and then tin foil. Just put in on a plate at room temperature and voila you have new cake. I sometimes don't put frosting on a whole cake if I think I'm gonna freeze half of it so I can put fresh frosting on the newly defrosted half.

I would be exceptionally crabby if a cake went moldy overnight. Something seems very wrong there. You are saying you make a cake one morning, don't eat the whole cake that day, cover it appropriately and by the next morning it is moldy? Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink