U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

66 posts, read 53,257 times

Advertisements

Medium-rare, sometimes rare for a better cut. I usually get prime rib rare.

I'm not trying to insult anyone but it's pretty common knowledge among chefs, foodies, restaurateurs etc. that cooking a nice steak beyond medium is a waste of a perfectly good cut of beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 978,754 times
Although some have told me it ruins a good steak, I have to get mine well done. I like a little char on mine without any chance for redness.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:04 PM

114,038 posts, read 52,381,670 times
Point is...waiters ask how you'd like your steak. If they want you to let them make that decision the patron shouldn't be bothered with the question. People pay good money to eat out and be served food as they like it. The chef/cook should do the best he can with the request made. Garbage food shouldn't be substituted for the appropriate cut.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,280,426 times
In-between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like my steak to still have a pulse.
We just crossed that line of how well we need to know you.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM

28,894 posts, read 15,973,677 times
I like my steaks and prime rib to be medium. Any more than that, it's too tough and chewy.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,896,758 times
Any cut of good quality beef, rare-medium with a pinch of salt on my plate to bring out the full flavor.
Burger MR-Med.
5 guys only does well.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 PM

668 posts, read 460,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Excellent reasons to stay at home and cook your own food as you like it. Morons taking it on their own to demand you eat it the way they want you to eat it. Feeding customers inferior products as punishment amounts to theft and deceptive practices. This type of thing can certainly, if discovered, conclude with a chef and crew being dragged behind the wood shed for a good ass kicking. (In some cases) It amounts to the same thing as spitting in a patrons food when asked to warm it up. Hopefully "your" chef days are over.
While yes, we do look down on the palate of people who want burnt/overcooked steaks ... it is not fed to them as a punishment, it's fed to them because they won't and can't tell the difference. This is not a small, almost unheard of practice, it's a very well known secret. It won't happen if you go to large chain restaraunts, but if you go to any proper steakhouse, or virtually any chef run restaraunt, your are most likely going to find this to be the case.

As for inferior product, a bad/grisly/end/older cut of prime or prime dry aged steak, prepared by a quality chef, is still going to be far better than any product you are likely to buy at home, and between that fact and the obvious lack of discretion, there is no way these people know - beyond that fact that it is not exactly some unknown secret of course ...

Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
While yes, we do look down on the palate of people who want burnt/overcooked steaks ... it is not fed to them as a punishment, it's fed to them because they won't and can't tell the difference. This is not a small, almost unheard of practice, it's a very well known secret. It won't happen if you go to large chain restaraunts, but if you go to any proper steakhouse, or virtually any chef run restaraunt, your are most likely going to find this to be the case.

As for inferior product, a bad/grisly/end/older cut of prime or prime dry aged steak, prepared by a quality chef, is still going to be far better than any product you are likely to buy at home, and between that fact and the obvious lack of discretion, there is no way these people know - beyond that fact that it is not exactly some unknown secret of course ...
Further enlightenment as to the arrogance of chefs in general. Sad! Some people don't spell very well either you just scramble the letters around and all is acceptable. LOL! Back on Topic..I'll have my steak cooked the way I like or the "CHEF" will be eating it.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 AM

668 posts, read 460,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Further enlightenment as to the arrogance of chefs in general. Sad! Some people don't spell very well either you just scramble the letters around and all is acceptable. LOL! Back on Topic..I'll have my steak cooked the way I like or the "CHEF" will be eating it.
And you get it the way you order it, and if you are one of the people who order 'well done', and you eat at any quality restaraunts at all, I absolutely guarantee that it has happened to you multiple times in your life and you didn't know about it apparently until you read it here ... so what difference does it make to you? Your pallete doesn't realize it, because ANY cut cooked that long is going hide the fact that it is inferior, because all cuts cooked that long are equally poor. But that is how you like it, so enjoy it.

Don't worry, we don't hate you. While we may laugh at the lack of pallette, we actually quite like you ... waste kills food percentage, and "well done" dinners allow the full utilization of product that couldn't otherwise be used.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
And you get it the way you order it, and if you are one of the people who order 'well done', and you eat at any quality restaraunts at all, I absolutely guarantee that it has happened to you multiple times in your life and you didn't know about it apparently until you read it here ... so what difference does it make to you? Your pallete doesn't realize it, because ANY cut cooked that long is going hide the fact that it is inferior, because all cuts cooked that long are equally poor. But that is how you like it, so enjoy it.

Don't worry, we don't hate you. While we may laugh at the lack of pallette, we actually quite like you ... waste kills food percentage, and "well done" dinners allow the full utilization of product that couldn't otherwise be used.
You're dreaming most chefs can't cover their own mistakes. Come eat at my place. You'll never know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or