Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 10,247 times

Advertisements

I like my steak cooked medium well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
...med rare is PINK JUICE which is what you're aiming for...
That's not what I'm aiming for at all - not even close. I like RARE - I want to chase-down that cow and take a bite.

BTW - I do know the "you're" was aimed at the post you quoted and not everyone. I just wanted to reply .

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How do you guys like your meats cooked, especially steak?

I still prefer my meat to not have any bloodiness to it.

There was a thought that some people change their preferences for how they like their steak cooked, well done as a young kid, and then rare as they got older.

Me, been consistent from young age to now, I just can't stomach bloody meat. Granted well done can make meat too tough, so I like medium well, a nice balance between no blood and still tasty.
Medium rare. Cooked just enough that you can see the texture/grain of the meat, as opposed to the rare/raw texture.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Rare to medium rare,

Old 06-25-2014, 03:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's not what I'm aiming for at all - not even close. I like RARE - I want to chase-down that cow and take a bite.

BTW - I do know the "you're" was aimed at the post you quoted and not everyone. I just wanted to reply .

I like rare too

I just want to throw this out

many have asked, "isn't your risk of e-coli higher with rare steaks, as it would be for rare burger"???

no,

its about surface area- if bacteria(e-coli) gets on the critter during processing- more of a chance the outside (fat) will be ground up in burger
most all the steaks are deep muscle tissue which have very little outside/exposure to surface area

if anyone is concerned with e-coli, cook your burgers to 160 degrees- particularly, if you buy your ground beef/burger from wal mart and other supermarkets, that sell pre-processed burgers that are part of huge batches at the processing plants(these stores don't grind their own burger on site

go to a store/butcher shop, that grinds fresh every day on site

Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...go to a store/butcher shop, that grinds fresh every day on site
...or grind your own - there's nothing like freshly ground beef. You don't get the discoloration that comes with ground beef that has been packaged for a while and the taste is so much better.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
...or grind your own - there's nothing like freshly ground beef. You don't get the discoloration that comes with ground beef that has been packaged for a while and the taste is so much better.
If I were still deer hunting I'd get the equipment and make my own sausage, link/pan. Fortunately, for ground beef our large chain market here does their own. They also sell chub packs, the crap from packing houses up north. The stuff constantly being recalled. I avoid it like the plague. I do not fear E-coli and such in beef not ground.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like rare too

I just want to throw this out

many have asked, "isn't your risk of e-coli higher with rare steaks, as it would be for rare burger"???

no,

its about surface area- if bacteria(e-coli) gets on the critter during processing- more of a chance the outside (fat) will be ground up in burger
most all the steaks are deep muscle tissue which have very little outside/exposure to surface area

if anyone is concerned with e-coli, cook your burgers to 160 degrees- particularly, if you buy your ground beef/burger from wal mart and other supermarkets, that sell pre-processed burgers that are part of huge batches at the processing plants(these stores don't grind their own burger on site

go to a store/butcher shop, that grinds fresh every day on site
This ^^. If you want medium rare burgers, buy your own chuck & grind it yourself!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Medium-rare: this is the point at which flavor is maximized.

First, the meat is warmed. Cool or cold meat is less flavorful because of the deadening effect colder temperatures have on taste buds. Second, it is cooked just enough to break down muscle tissue and render the steak tender. Finally, the exterior receives just enough sear for that resulting sharp taste and the pleasant accompanying aroma.

Think of it as a flavor curve. Up to the point of being medium-rare, the flavor of the meat is increasing. It peaks at medium-rare, then begins decreasing.

So... medium-rare!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,576 times
Low-quality meat, well-done. High-quality, rare to medium-rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink