U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM

4,304 posts, read 11,122,584 times

Advertisements

I like my steak medium. I want it to be pink in the center. My wife likes her steaks cooked past well done. She wants it almost burnt. I tell her she may as well order shoe leather so we can save some money.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
Crispy on the outside still mooing on the inside.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
When I was a kid, my parents always made me get steak well-done. When I reached the age where I would go out on my own, I tried medium-rare and I have never looked back.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 PM

128 posts, read 277,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I cannot discern any taste difference between "no red" and "damned near carbonized." They both taste like sawdust to me.

What's the deal with "don't want to see any red?" It's just myoglobin. As far as I'm concerned, once a person decides it's OK to kill an animal and eat it, what's a little myoglobin in the meat? It's meat after all. Not a carrot. Cooking a steak that far cooks out most of the intramuscular fat, and denatures the proteins to the point where the meat is tough. There's no way around this -- it's chemistry.
OH , but there is a lot of difference in the taste. I like mine medium well , but being well-done is far from being "carbonized " , lol. Now being "carbonized" and tasting like sawdust is such an overstatement.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:18 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How do you guys like your meats cooked, especially steak?

I still prefer my meat to not have any bloodiness to it.

There was a thought that some people change their preferences for how they like their steak cooked, well done as a young kid, and then rare as they got older.

Me, been consistent from young age to now, I just can't stomach bloody meat. Granted well done can make meat too tough, so I like medium well, a nice balance between no blood and still tasty.
No doubt, before this thread progresses very far, someone is going to point out to you that the red fluid you see in rare meat is not blood. But I digress....

I prefer my meat (all meat, not just beef), cooked VERY VERY VERY VERY well done. As well done as you can cook it and it still be [barely] edible. I prefer my meat a little dried out and a little chewy. That is my preference. Yes, I was raised with my meat being well cooked, and yes, I HAVE tried meat that was not cooked as well, and I did not like it. I do not like meat that is "tender", which seems to be some kind of bizarre obsession with the general population. I find meat like that boring and unpleasant to eat. I like some mouth texture, some resistence. I am a person who values texture over taste usually.

Often it is very difficult for me to get food cooked to my desired level of doneness at restaurants. Beef is not quite so bad because most restaurants are used to people asking for food to be cooked to order, but asking for your chicken or pork chops or shrimp to be cooked A LOT, is like asking for the moon. Most of the time the kitchen personnel have NO EARTHLY notion how to cook shrimp so that they are tough, rubbery little balls rather than limp, tasteless blobs. When it comes to seafood or fish and usually chicken, I always opt for deep fried to make sure that it is, in fact cooked enough but I have had many disappointments with even fried foods not being cooked sufficiently for my preferences.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Medium rare to medium for steak. Longer for burgers. I like some pink in steak, but in ground beef, pink grosses me out.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
I want a nice aged steak cooked just like this...

Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I like my beef prepared medium for steaks and medium well for burgers.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
Medium. YUMO

Old 06-21-2014, 03:19 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
I don't eat meat any more, but when I did, I liked it still breathing....I always ordered it 'bleu'.

LOVED steak tartare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or