U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,028,290 times

Advertisements

Rare to medium rare.

Even when I was a child I didn't order steaks well done and certainly never used A-1.

Sorry, there are some things I just can't fathom and cooking a quality steak to well done is one of them. While you're at it, you might as well take a 40-year-old single malt and mix it with Coca Cola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Rare, but not raw. Harder to get in restaurants than you might imagine.
This. ^^ And not cold, either. Very hard to manage that!

Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,541 times
well done, i dont wanna risk getting sick from ecoli or even mad cow disease.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:29 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,348,978 times
Medium rare for steaks but if it is more towards the rare side, I don't mind. Medium for hamburgers.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnef View Post
well done, i dont wanna risk getting sick from ecoli or even mad cow disease.
You do know this thread is about steaks? You do know the difference between mad cow disease (BSE) and Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease? I could go on about this, but I have provided enough information for those interested to do their own research.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,879,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I cannot discern any taste difference between "no red" and "damned near carbonized." They both taste like sawdust to me.

What's the deal with "don't want to see any red?" It's just myoglobin. As far as I'm concerned, once a person decides it's OK to kill an animal and eat it, what's a little myoglobin in the meat? It's meat after all. Not a carrot. Cooking a steak that far cooks out most of the intramuscular fat, and denatures the proteins to the point where the meat is tough. There's no way around this -- it's chemistry.
Why do you think we have steak sauce?

I swear, nothing brings out the food police like saying you like your steak well cooked.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:13 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
...nothing brings out the food police like saying you like your steak well cooked.
Well, "well-done" is defined as "cooked thoroughly" whereas "well-cooked" has more to do with individual preference. For me, a steak "well-cooked" is darned-near raw.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:07 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,625,544 times
Steaks- RMR to MR. Hot Hot outside with a warm but red inside.
Chicken- Fully cooked, of course.
Pork- Fully cooked, but there's a method to this that keeps the meat tender.
Fish- Salmon (fully cooked), Tuna steaks (medium rare w/wasabi) sushi- raw. I don't really like white fish.
Burgers- MW

Old 06-22-2014, 05:17 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
I like my beef steak medium rare but usually end up with well down if I don`t cook it myself ...............beef burgers always well done and the hazards are real and the bacterial can make people ill as steak is clean on the inside , mix it up as burger and look out No steak tartare ..............pork must be well done as there are bugs and worms is some cuts which must be cooked , ........... chicken well down at the right temp but the juices still inside ............. lamb best well done ,.............. wild game well down ,................ and fish and shell fish well done and no sushi pieces uncooked

Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Here we go again.....this has been discussed before, with all the threads finally closed because they got too heated. Any trace of myoglobin in meat is nauseating to me, and I can immediately taste it in meat that isn't cooked well done. But if you like it, fine. No need to assume your way is the only way people should eat meat.

Well, can you come up with a reason that isn't "I have a psychological hang-up about red in my meat?" Because myoglobin is still in the meat after it's cooked to the consistancy of a briquette. It just isn't red anymore. If you have a problem with myoglobin in meat, become a vegetarian. Because there's no way around this. If you eat meat -- even canned tuna -- you're getting myoglobin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or