Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnef View Post
well done, i dont wanna risk getting sick from ecoli or even mad cow disease.
eColi creates a toxin that makes people sick. All the cooking in the world won't get rid of the toxin. (The eColi itself, while nasty, isn't the culprit.) Mad cow is caused by prions in the meat. All the cooking in the world won't get rid of that either.

Overcooking meat leads to a false sense of security. Seriously, google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Discussions on this thread about mad cow disease and eColi and the like are off topic. Too many off topic posts make the thread hard to keep open and it would be great if we could keep this one open and the discussion flowing with minimal to no deletions. Thanks!

How do you liked your steak cooked?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Well, can you come up with a reason that isn't "I have a psychological hang-up about red in my meat?" Because myoglobin is still in the meat after it's cooked to the consistancy of a briquette. It just isn't red anymore. If you have a problem with myoglobin in meat, become a vegetarian. Because there's no way around this. If you eat meat -- even canned tuna -- you're getting myoglobin.
I can be blindfolded and eat a piece of steak that has pink in it and can immediately taste that it isn't cooked. This has nothing to do with texture; it has a distinct yucky, bloody taste. If I am eating a hamburger, and not inspecting it after each bite, I can still taste if the center is not cooked to well done.

I'm not a scientist, so won't debate with you about myoglobin. I'm only using that term because I have been scolded that the red in meat isn't blood. But pink meat tastes bloody and it's not my imagination.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'm not a scientist, so won't debate with you about myoglobin. I'm only using that term because I have been scolded that the red in meat isn't blood. But pink meat tastes bloody and it's not my imagination.
It's the proper term, so you should be using it irrespective of your fear of scolding.

As for myself...

I love beef and tuna carpaccio and steak tartare (kibbeh nayyeh is on my short list of things to try)!

I prefer steaks rare (if lean, like sirloin) to medium rare (if fattier, like ribeye, so all the intramuscular fat renders out). I made a grass-fed NY strip the other day and I accidentally cooked it to medium. My meat thermometer has got to be off, because a steak taken out of the pan at 120 and rested for five minutes should still have some red in the center. It wasn't bad, just somewhat drier than I like.

I usually get burgers medium to medium well, though if I were to go to a place like Peter Luger's where they grind their hamburgers on-sight, I'd try medium rare.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
IF it is cooked properly...medium rare. Sometimes I feel as if people, cooks, chefs are 'fearful' of the term medium rare and will instead make it medium well; I will eat it but I prefer medium rare.

Of course, I try to do all the steak eating at home so I am in control of the outcome...medium rare for me! Pink (not bloody) and firm!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
IF it is cooked properly...medium rare. Sometimes I feel as if people, cooks, chefs are 'fearful' of the term medium rare and will instead make it medium well; I will eat it but I prefer medium rare.

Of course, I try to do all the steak eating at home so I am in control of the outcome...medium rare for me! Pink (not bloody) and firm!
Pink and firm is medium.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Steak- rare.

White meat and seafood, I want it cooked thoroughly but not overcooked. I like them cooked to the point of perfection, then immediately removed from the heat. Then they stay nice and juicy.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Steak: rare!

All other meat-cooked.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How do you guys like your meats cooked, especially steak?

I still prefer my meat to not have any bloodiness to it.

There was a thought that some people change their preferences for how they like their steak cooked, well done as a young kid, and then rare as they got older.

Me, been consistent from young age to now, I just can't stomach bloody meat. Granted well done can make meat too tough, so I like medium well, a nice balance between no blood and still tasty.
Yes, as a child, I liked it well done. As I got older, I liked it cook less. Ideally, at a quality steak restaurant, I will order a Medium steak. But considering that most steak restaurants don't know how to prepare a medium steak and will overcook it, I typically order Medium-Rare

A steak that is overcooked loses texture and flavor. It just tastes like burnt rubber when it is well done or medium well for that matter.

That being said, you should not eat undercooked ground beef. There is a big difference between steak and ground beef. With undercooked ground beef, you significantly increase your risk of acquiring E. coli and other food borne illness. You don't want to take chances. With ground beef (hamburgers), cook that meat.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-22-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How do you guys like your meats cooked, especially steak?

I still prefer my meat to not have any bloodiness to it.

There was a thought that some people change their preferences for how they like their steak cooked, well done as a young kid, and then rare as they got older.

Me, been consistent from young age to now, I just can't stomach bloody meat. Granted well done can make meat too tough, so I like medium well, a nice balance between no blood and still tasty.
Well done. No pink, no blood. That's the safe way. With my luck, I'd be the guy to get E.coli from bad meat if it wasn't fully cooked. You know all of those news articles that talk about meat being recalled due to E.coli? I never worry, because I always cook my meat all the way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink