U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM

103 posts, read 99,687 times

Advertisements

Lower-end restaurant: Medium-well
Higher-end restaurant: Medium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,872,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
eColi creates a toxin that makes people sick. All the cooking in the world won't get rid of the toxin. (The eColi itself, while nasty, isn't the culprit.) Mad cow is caused by prions in the meat. All the cooking in the world won't get rid of that either.

Overcooking meat leads to a false sense of security. Seriously, google it.
That is complete b.s. and irresponsible of you to report this. How do you think the toxin is released Einstein? The pathogenesis of Enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) infection consists of bacterial attachment to intestinal epithelial cells followed by secretion of bacterial proteins into the epithelial cell, as well as elaboration of one or more Shiga toxins that are responsible for the vascular damage (hemorrhagic colitis) and for the systemic effects of infection, such as hemolytic-uremic syndrome. The infectious dose of E. coli O157:H7 for humans is only 10 to 100 organisms, which is low compared with that of most other enteric pathogens. Both EPEC and EHEC secrete a variety of protein products (EspA, EspB, EspD, and EspF) following epithelial cell contact. Proper cooking of foods is essential; an internal meat temperature in excess of 155F (68.3C) is necessary to eradicate EHEC contamination.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:31 PM

11,460 posts, read 14,016,922 times
Medium and the following cuts: rib-eye, t-bone, New York or porterhouse.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM

167 posts, read 206,092 times
I like my meat well done and my dad likes his meat medium rare, but the strange thing is that he likes thick hamburgers but does not like double hamburgers!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,244,964 times
Medium

Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 PM
gg

17,029 posts, read 17,240,370 times
Wipe its behind and herd it through. I like mine pretty rare to mid rare. That goes for hamburgers as well.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,887,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Well, can you come up with a reason that isn't "I have a psychological hang-up about red in my meat?" Because myoglobin is still in the meat after it's cooked to the consistancy of a briquette. It just isn't red anymore. If you have a problem with myoglobin in meat, become a vegetarian. Because there's no way around this. If you eat meat -- even canned tuna -- you're getting myoglobin.
What business is it of yours how other people like their steak cooked? You like your steak a certain way. Other people like theirs a certain way. A good chef will cook steak to whatever level of done the diner requests.

Are you coming over to their house and eating their food off their plate?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,327,780 times
Argh! You should've made this a poll!!!!

I prefer it well-done. Raw meat isn't good.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 PM

7,395 posts, read 9,447,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What business is it of yours how other people like their steak cooked? You like your steak a certain way. Other people like theirs a certain way. A good chef will cook steak to whatever level of done the diner requests.

Are you coming over to their house and eating their food off their plate?
I give zero fuarks about how other people eat their steak. If I were ever to open up a steakhouse, I would make damn sure that the chef would cook the cuts of meat to the customers' liking (whatever that may be) and have available salt and pepper, ketchup, A1 sauce, for anyone who's not satisfied with the house seasoning. While disclaiming responsibility for well-done steaks is necessary (all bets are off when you cook a steak 100% through), being a pretentious prick and demanding the customer order their steak according to your specifications is not. Chefs are artists on commission, and short of asking for something that will reasonably offend the other restaurant patrons, the customer is always right.

That said, it's highly irritating when people call the red juice in steaks blood, regardless of whether they happen to like or dislike it. Myoglobin, in addition to not being blood, tastes nothing like blood. If you really want to know what blood tastes like, order yourself a bowl of Czerina (duck blood soup). The taste is very pungent--almost acrid--and is something most Americans (regardless of how they like their steaks) do not find palatable.

Unless they're eating a cut of steak from an improperly slaughtered cow, anyone who tastes "blood" in their steak has simply psychologically associated it with the food--no more, no less.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 1,782,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How do you guys like your meats cooked, especially steak?

I still prefer my meat to not have any bloodiness to it.

There was a thought that some people change their preferences for how they like their steak cooked, well done as a young kid, and then rare as they got older.

Me, been consistent from young age to now, I just can't stomach bloody meat. Granted well done can make meat too tough, so I like medium well, a nice balance between no blood and still tasty.
If it's beef...still mooing.

No rare pork for me, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or