U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:24 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
veggies are so overrated, better off spending that moolah on protein..........

Why You Shouldn't Eat Five Portions of Fruit and Veg? - Part One

Hmm, we can find whatever we look for on the internet, to support any bias. How about what doctors say? Are they full of it? And what about the people who live in places where more fruits and veges are eaten? Are they healthier because of some bs that web sites just make up?

I don't think all meat is bad, but I think it should be limited. I also know that people don't NEED meat to be healthy. Veges and fruits, however, have been proven to be very valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Rice, beans, corn, chicken thighs...probably cost you around 2 bucks a day or something.

Cheap and healthy snacks would be carrots, apples, bananas.

If this wasn't for health, I knew someone in college that ate for 1$/day.

His diet consisted of macaroni and cheese with sliced hot dogs and franks red hot sauce (everything Aldi's brand).

Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
... chicken thighs...probably cost you around 2 bucks a day or something.
I second that! I love chicken thighs. I cook them with onions, and sweet and hot peppers. Yum! Or with tomato sauce, onions, cinnamon, fresh garlic, and cooked macaroni.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I second that! I love chicken thighs. I cook them with onions, and sweet and hot peppers. Yum! Or with tomato sauce, onions, cinnamon, fresh garlic, and cooked macaroni.
I prefer thighs to breast, because you end up with more fat (and fats are healthy IMO) and you also end up with a mix of white and dark meat, more variety and mins/vitamins.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I prefer thighs to breast, because you end up with more fat (and fats are healthy IMO) and you also end up with a mix of white and dark meat, more variety and mins/vitamins.
me too and I think more and more people are realizing there isn't all that more fat in a thigh. Actually we love to buy whole chickens, we can cut them ourselves or cook the whole chicken and use different parts for different things plus we have the broth for freezing.

I can think of a lot of ways for people to eat healthy on a modest budget without going vegetarian. Chicken is probably a good start, plus a little bit of hamburger once a week, and yes, an occasional piece of yummy meats like steak and op don't forget fish like Talapia isn't very pricey.

Luckily we are lovers of veggies and dried beans, plus spoiled brat like fruit, but unless it is in season it isn't something on a low budget that is always available. Anyone that really believes product isn't all the good for you might want to read a few more articles. Too much of anything isn't good for you, but certainly we need fresh produce for a lot of reasons.

The things that can run up the food bill: cheese if you want quality cheese, desserts, sauces, nuts, packaged herbs, and processed foods.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
I used to feed myself and my Husband on $35.00 per week, 3 meals a day and neither of us is close to vegetarian or vegan.
Our meals included protein, vegetables, bread, dairy, fruit and dessert after supper and no fish or seafood.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 AM

5,120 posts, read 9,418,782 times
Good to keep in mind that protein desn't have to come from an animal or fish source...healthy protein is also found in beans, grains such as quinoa, nuts...

Google "non-animal sources of protein" and you'll be amazed. For low-cost, healthy cooking, this is useful knowledge. Meat costs are rising rapidly. Beans--not so much, still cheap, especially if prepared from dried beans.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
We used to eat a lot of rice, beans and pasta, along with homemade bread and tortillas because they were cheap. We have a little bit larger of a grocery budget now, which is good because I can't eat rice, pasta or bread anymore, and I can't eat more than 1/2 cup beans.

I have noticed frozen veggies are usually cheaper than fresh. We eat a lot of cauliflower and a bag of frozen is about $1.40 and a head of fresh cauliflower is almost $3.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We used to eat a lot of rice, beans and pasta, along with homemade bread and tortillas because they were cheap. We have a little bit larger of a grocery budget now, which is good because I can't eat rice, pasta or bread anymore, and I can't eat more than 1/2 cup beans.

I have noticed frozen veggies are usually cheaper than fresh. We eat a lot of cauliflower and a bag of frozen is about $1.40 and a head of fresh cauliflower is almost $3.
the only problem with that: I don't think frozen cauliflower is, even 1/2 as good as fresh. There are some veggies I think are comparable, like corn and peas, but others just are not.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
A lot of flash frozen produce is nutritionally as decent as fresh, even moreso if you're comparing it to "fresh" that isn't actually that fresh at all, but has been trucked around through half the country sitting on trucks and in warehouses. Produce flash frozen at the peak of ripeness and freshness may in some cases actually be of higher nutritional quality than in some cases like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink