U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Not sure whether this goes here or in Frugal thread, but will try here.

Has anyone heard of Leanne Brown and her free online cookbook Good & Cheap?

Designed for SNAP particiapants living on a food budget of $4/day, there are some frugal, seasonal recipes that many of us might be interested in..for example, I want to try her eggplant, tomato and garlic pasta recipe.

...find here cookbook here: Cookbooks
It is great that a free PDF is offered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
1. Let's all just remember something, that seems to have been forgotten, or maybe y'all just don't know:

HUMANS ARE NOT CARNIVORES. HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES.

Sorry - that's a HUGE pet peeve. Humans can, and do, successfully embrace a variety of foods, and can thrive on a vegetarian diet but *CANNOT* thrive on an all-meat diet. They can thrive on a diet that includes meat, but cannot thrive on a diet that is primarily meat. So please - stop with the "I'm a carnivore" or "I eat a carnivore diet" nonsense. It's not true. You're not, and you don't.

2. I buy ground chuck or 85% lean when it's on sale - it's ground at the store by the butcher, not brought there in squeeze-tubes like some of the stuff you get at the supermarkets. As an accompaniment to a balanced menu, prepared without a lot of artificial weirdness, it is healthy. I can make macaroni and meatballs with a huge field greens salad for dinner for two - and leftovers for the next three days for my husband's lunch and me having just the salad for lunch (I do eat meat but I don't eat it every day, it's just a taste thing, not health or ethics), and that will cost maybe around $10 for all that food, including the egg, macaroni, salad greens, oil/vinegar, gorgonzola cheese, and the breadcrumbs and the garlic. The oregano is free, I grow my own. So $10 for the equivalent of 5 individual meals.

3. I also buy a rotisserie chicken on Sundays - with more salad and mashed new potatoes flavored only with a little butter and garlic, and steamed broccoli with lemon squeezed on it. That'll feed us for dinner, plus me for the next three lunches over my salad, plus treats for the cat (she demands chicken on Sundays). Hubby eats the leftover chicken and mashed and broccoli for lunches the other 2 workdays. That's around $20 for seven meals' worth. Healthy and cheap.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:02 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,338,350 times
Two of my staples that I usually have leftovers from are beef stew and chili. Very economical and delicious! I buy the meat on sale (freeze what I don't use immediately). I don't use a lot of meat in the 'recipes' - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 pound.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
PS: you can buy a raw chicken and roast it yourself for less than I pay for mine hot and ready to serve right off the spit. I've never met a raw whole chicken I couldn't ruin, however, and so I buy mine already prepped.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. Let's all just remember something, that seems to have been forgotten, or maybe y'all just don't know:

HUMANS ARE NOT CARNIVORES. HUMANS ARE OMNIVORES.

Sorry - that's a HUGE pet peeve. Humans can, and do, successfully embrace a variety of foods, and can thrive on a vegetarian diet but *CANNOT* thrive on an all-meat diet. They can thrive on a diet that includes meat, but cannot thrive on a diet that is primarily meat. So please - stop with the "I'm a carnivore" or "I eat a carnivore diet" nonsense. It's not true. You're not, and you don't.
I stand corrected. I know that no person is a complete carnivore in the true sense of the word. If any human were a true carnivore, they would probably not live long enough to learn how to spell.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 06-23-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
MAN, chicken thighs are the apple of my eye.

But...cheap, not anymore!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,118,415 times
My favorite budget-conscious-yet-delicious-recipe blog: Budget Bytes - My stomach is full and my wallet is too.

I like that she doesn't use a lot of expensive/rare ingredients, each recipe on her site can be printed, and there are step-by-step color photos for each recipe.

I've been making stuff from her blog for a few years now, so when she got a cookbook deal a while back, I had to buy a copy, and it is great too.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 AM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Good tip, Kitten...her recipes look yummy! Thanks.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM

441 posts, read 359,265 times
We eat on the cheap....want to save my pennies to travel

We do a lot of egg bakes - they are a good vessel to throw leftovers into. Old bread (the heels that I store in the freezer!), close to going bad veggies, that little bit of leftover brisket, etc? Toss it all in a 9x13 with a few eggs beaten with milk, yellow mustard, and salt and pepper. Throw in those last few odd corners of block cheese you have, too. Bake for about 45 minutes until set and golden-ish on top. Serve with fruit!

Pasta salads are made in the same fashion - boil up the noodles and toss in whatever scraps of veggies, meat, cheeses you have hanging out, and then whip up a dressing to go on top (I like garlic vinegar with sour cream and fresh dill, personally...).

Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 AM

441 posts, read 359,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
MAN, chicken thighs are the apple of my eye.

But...cheap, not anymore!
I just picked up 3 huge family packs of chicken thighs for under $9...They were each around $3. Each will get us at least 2 meals...so 6 meals for $1.50 a dinner is pretty good, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink