U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,413,466 times

Advertisements

Not sure whether this goes here or in Frugal thread, but will try here.

Has anyone heard of Leanne Brown and her free online cookbook Good & Cheap?

Designed for SNAP particiapants living on a food budget of $4/day, there are some frugal, seasonal recipes that many of us might be interested in..for example, I want to try her eggplant, tomato and garlic pasta recipe.

...find here cookbook here: Cookbooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 04:29 PM

6,944 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Another book along that line is The Student's Go Vegan Cookbook.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:18 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Another book along that line is The Student's Go Vegan Cookbook.

why isnt this is the vegan thread?

if we posted a meat eating recipes in the vegan thread, it would be pulled/not tolerated

Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Not sure whether this goes here or in Frugal thread, but will try here.

Has anyone heard of Leanne Brown and her free online cookbook Good & Cheap?

Designed for SNAP particiapants living on a food budget of $4/day, there are some frugal, seasonal recipes that many of us might be interested in..for example, I want to try her eggplant, tomato and garlic pasta recipe.

...find here cookbook here: Cookbooks
the $4 a day is stretching the imagination and I taught an adult education on eating on a budget. That being said, it doesn't hurt to check these books out. The biggest problem; to eat healthy, on a budget takes time and devotion, too many living on food stamps don't have either.
Cliffee: most people struggling to make end meet are not about to depend on Vegan cooking. Most need to give up the frying pan and the processed foods for starters. They are not about to or ready for even vegetarian meals, muc less vegan and not all vegan food is cheap.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Hmmm, maybe some carnivores do eat vegan foods (I do, quite often)...but no vegans eat carnivore foods??

Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
why would you eat vegan on any budget? A bullet is faster.

The Naive Vegetarian

Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Cheap and healthy doesn't have to be vegan, but that's one good way to go. I'm a carnivore. Still, I grew up eating meat only about 1-2 times a week and I'm very flexible.

My first thought is rice and beans (or lentils), plus vegetables. Many of my childhood meals consisted of basmati rice, dal, and bhaji or another vegetable dish. I love those meals still. Basmati isn't really cheap here in Oregon, but some other kinds of rice are more reasonable and delicious, such as jasmine rice and "sushi rice". There's SO much you can do with beans/lentils and rice.

By the way, I don't like the common "lentils" sold in the USA that much. There's a big variety of lentils that I prefer, such as masoor dal, aka red lentils.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 06-22-2014 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
why would you eat vegan on any budget? A bullet is faster.

The Naive Vegetarian
There are plenty of examples of bad vegetarian diets, and bad carnivore diets. The vegetarian vs carnivore isn't the issue. If you eat a lot of burgers and ribs all the time (just for example), and very little veges, you're going to be in bad shape some time.

For a healthy and cheap diet, there isn't a whole lot of room for low-quality meat. Tenderloin steaks are tasty and good for you if eaten once in a while, but expensive. By the way a filet mignon, medium-rare, is another of my favorite things.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Thinking that one of the cheaper animal proteins must be the egg? And it can be mixed with veggies, rice, lentils, beans, bulghar, pasta to make a nutritious but low-cost meal.

One of our go-to cheap meals made in a hurry is eggs cooked mixed with some black beans or pinto beans and salsa and eaten in a whole wheat tortilla. Fresh chopped tomato, avocado, lettuce or spinach can be added if desired.

And it can serve as a breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:08 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,810,094 times
veggies are so overrated, better off spending that moolah on protein..........

Why You Shouldn't Eat Five Portions of Fruit and Veg? - Part One
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink