U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
 
5,177 posts, read 3,001,131 times
Reputation: 17681

Advertisements

The only difference I notice is that potatoes stored in the fridge tend to taste sweeter than those stored at room temp. We don't mind that. And I can't imagine eating room temp melon.

It's hard to keep some of these things on hand when there are only two of you to feed and mealtimes become so flexible.

Winter tomatoes, no harm done. But no way would I put a home-grown tomato in the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM
 
2,693 posts, read 1,772,657 times
Reputation: 5099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The only difference I notice is that potatoes stored in the fridge tend to taste sweeter than those stored at room temp. We don't mind that. And I can't imagine eating room temp melon.

It's hard to keep some of these things on hand when there are only two of you to feed and mealtimes become so flexible.

Winter tomatoes, no harm done. But no way would I put a home-grown tomato in the fridge.
The 'tater starch turns to sugar when refrigerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago W Suburbs
486 posts, read 555,080 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do you keep them in the dark? Light may have more to do with it than temperature.
I thought I had tried a closet once or twice, but to be honest, the last couple of times, I just had them in a wire hanging basket thingy in the kitchen. Maybe I should hang the thingy in the closet and try again! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,339,450 times
Reputation: 7087
The video doesn't play for me. But I get the gist from what others have posted.

So far the foods are:

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Onions
Garlic
Basil
Melons

What are the others?


All of these may make their way into the refrigerator at some point depending on their stage of ripeness except basil that I grow in my kitchen window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Reputation: 20198
tomatoes - if they're as ripe as I need them to be, they go in the fridge. If I'm slicing one up and have a leftover piece, that gets wrapped and refrigerated. Otherwise, tomatoes stay on the counter.

melons - they stay on the counter til I cut into them. Then they get refrigerated.

potatoes - I only buy what I need that day - I'm not a big potato-eater. It gets consumed before I have to decide where to put it

onions - I refrigerate unused portions of cut onions.

coffee - that gets refrigerated, in its own section of the refrigerator. When I buy whole beans, they are put in the freezer and I only grind what I need for that day.

garlic - I've never heard of refrigerating garlic. No idea who would even think of doing that.

alcohol - I know some people store vodka because it's trendy. We don't keep vodka in the house. Rum and brandy both go in an overhead cabinet in the kitchen. Sangria gets refrigerated and I add the brandy to each glass, not to the bottle.

honey - never heard of refrigerating honey.

hot sauce - It takes us more than 3 years to go through a single bottle so yeah I keep it in the fridge.

bread - depends on the season. In winter it stays on the counter. During the hottest months, it goes in the fridge, otherwise it gets moldy within a few days (it can get over 90 degrees with over 80% humidity in our house some weeks).

basil - I pick that from the garden when I need it. Otherwise, I don't use basil at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,538,605 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I thought I had tried a closet once or twice, but to be honest, the last couple of times, I just had them in a wire hanging basket thingy in the kitchen. Maybe I should hang the thingy in the closet and try again! Thanks.
Don't store them together. I keep my onions in a hanging basket near the top of my pantry, and the potatoes on the floor of the pantry in a breathable crate. If they're too close together, the onions will make the potatoes spoil faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,524,939 times
Reputation: 9699
I keep my potatoes in a basket, covered with a napkin to make it darker. They last forever, as long as there are no onions or apples near them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,524,939 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
tomatoes - if they're as ripe as I need them to be, they go in the fridge. If I'm slicing one up and have a leftover piece, that gets wrapped and refrigerated. Otherwise, tomatoes stay on the counter.

melons - they stay on the counter til I cut into them. Then they get refrigerated.

potatoes - I only buy what I need that day - I'm not a big potato-eater. It gets consumed before I have to decide where to put it

onions - I refrigerate unused portions of cut onions.

coffee - that gets refrigerated, in its own section of the refrigerator. When I buy whole beans, they are put in the freezer and I only grind what I need for that day.

garlic - I've never heard of refrigerating garlic. No idea who would even think of doing that.

alcohol - I know some people store vodka because it's trendy. We don't keep vodka in the house. Rum and brandy both go in an overhead cabinet in the kitchen. Sangria gets refrigerated and I add the brandy to each glass, not to the bottle.

honey - never heard of refrigerating honey.

hot sauce - It takes us more than 3 years to go through a single bottle so yeah I keep it in the fridge.

bread - depends on the season. In winter it stays on the counter. During the hottest months, it goes in the fridge, otherwise it gets moldy within a few days (it can get over 90 degrees with over 80% humidity in our house some weeks).

basil - I pick that from the garden when I need it. Otherwise, I don't use basil at all.
My vodka lives in the freezer, and it has nothing to do with being trendy.
Russians drink their vodka neat, and very, very cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM
 
2,693 posts, read 1,772,657 times
Reputation: 5099
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
My vodka lives in the freezer, and it has nothing to do with being trendy.
Russians drink their vodka neat, and very, very cold.
It's the only way. Pass the caviar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,087 posts, read 11,524,939 times
Reputation: 9699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
It's the only way. Pass the caviar!
.....and if you can't afford caviar, pass the herring and black bread.
Still delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top