U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,530,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
My late Blue Cat used to love a good loaf of bread or package of rolls. He never tore open the cheap loaf - only the good stuff!
Well, they may be cats, but they're not stupid.
Me..."Oh Alex, thanks so much for this lovely antique butter dish! It's beautiful. How do you open it? It's completely round and doesn't seem to have a top. Really, how do you open it?"
Sushi the Cat..."Like this, you idiot woman."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 PM

7,158 posts, read 7,596,740 times
I dont keep potatoes in the house but when buy them I dont refrigerate them.

I refrigerate melons because I like them cold. They dont last long enough to be an issue

Tomatoes area always refrigerated. When I put them on a sandwich or burger I want them cold and crispy. If Im cooking with them I dont suppose it matters if it starts out warm or cold.

Onions - see tomatoes (and it takes forever to get moldy and mushy)

I use a Kuerig for coffee so it isnt an issue but when I used plain old ground coffee I never refrigerated it.

I have never refrigerated hard liquor that I recall. Just beer

Ive never put honey, hot sauce, or bread in the fridge (there was a couple of rough summers in Florida several years ago where we fought roaches and I think we kept bread in the fridge then but not as a rule)

I dont keep fresh basil at all.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,662,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
To keep it away from ants. A tin or a plastic bag would work, though, too.
Bizarre. We've had ants in the house but they've never gotten into our kitchen drawers or cabinets. I used to keep it in a drawer next to the oven, with the box of oatmeal, brown sugar, and raisins. That's my "breakfast drawer." The absolute worst thing that ever happened in that drawer were flour bugs in the oatmeal.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM

36,435 posts, read 41,675,230 times
I've always heard the starch in potatoes turns to sugar if you refrigerate them. Also you should never store potatoes and onions near each other. I let tomatoes ripen on the counter but stick them in the fridge a few hours before serving cause i would much rather have them cold than room temperature.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM

36,435 posts, read 41,675,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
My Sushi the Siamese is a bread-eating cat as well. I have to keep the bread in the microwave.
It's only a matter of time before he learns how to open it.
I used to keep small amounts of butter in a complicated, sliding, antique butter dish. He figured out how to open it before I did, and would eat the butter every night.
Bet Sushi doesn't ever have hairballs does he?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM

2,698 posts, read 1,775,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
My Sushi the Siamese is a bread-eating cat as well. I have to keep the bread in the microwave.
It's only a matter of time before he learns how to open it.
I used to keep small amounts of butter in a complicated, sliding, antique butter dish. He figured out how to open it before I did, and would eat the butter every night.

You have a genuine lolcat.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,530,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
You have a genuine lolcat.
You don't know the half of it.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM

134 posts, read 277,116 times
I refrigerate my potatoe's onions and tomatoes like some have said here only because I don't like my counter being cluttered.

Growing up my family always stored bread in the fridge and maybe this is just me but bread tastes gross to me after its been in the fridge, when I do buy bread I just make sure I'm going to eat all or most of it within 5-6 days and keep it on top of the fridge.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 AM

6,224 posts, read 7,409,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
I thought I had tried a closet once or twice, but to be honest, the last couple of times, I just had them in a wire hanging basket thingy in the kitchen. Maybe I should hang the thingy in the closet and try again! Thanks.
Potatoes do better in a cool, dark place. A hanging basket in the kitchen is probably not your best choice, since heat rises and the kitchen, because of cooking, tends to build up heat closer to the ceiling.

If you have a basement, and it's dry, try your "wire hanging basket thingy" there.

I buy my potatoes by the each, since I don't eat them very often and when I store them out of sight, I forget about them until the roots are growing out of the cabinet!

When I want mashers, I use Idaho Spuds. Just add water, nuke for 2 1/2 minutes and Bob's your uncle!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 AM

912 posts, read 1,190,974 times
Tomatoes, onions and potatoes are not refrigerated in my house unless/until they're cut, then they go in to the fridge.

I do refrigerate garlic, and I have no idea why. I started so many years ago and don't imagine I'll ever stop.

We don't buy whole melons because I don't like them and my husband can't eat a whole one himself. Occasionally, I'll buy a small container of pre-cut melon and those, of course, go into the fridge. I'd imagine that if I did buy a whole melon I would treat it in the same manner as the tomatoes, onions and potatoes.

My husband keeps his coffee on the kitchen counter but my dad has always kept his in the fridge.

Any alcohol except for white wine is kept in either the wine rack or the wet bar, unrefrigerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink