Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM

334 posts, read 537,627 times

Advertisements

I'm hosting and need some ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
well,, ive been voted to host the 4th of july for the family..

I will source and cook - lobsters, clams,,steaks, spare-ribs, and bacon wrapped chicken, burgers and hot dogs
all on the grill

the guests will bring the sides/salads/desserts, watermelon

we will have the festivities by the lake, with lawn games, boating, fishing, swimming,

we will have a bonfire at night and set off some fireworks

house rules;

no politics
no hollaring at kids in front of other adults-
no driving after drinking

laughter and silliness is encouraged

Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
It's going to be the usual--
from the grill, steaks, chicken & ribs...hot dogs & burgers, too

Sides will be homemade potato salad, macaroni salad, blt pasta salad, & corn on the cob

Desserts don't matter as much as the liquor to us, lol
We always have ice cream & push ups for the kids, though

The drinks will be margaritas, rum & Cokes, Malibu & pineapple & of course some good beers.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I will have to check the sales, but I'm thinking of firing up the grill for ribeye sandwich steaks on toasted garlic bread with grilled corn on the cob, along with pickled cukes (side dish) and ice cream with several toppings (make your own). Other guests may add to it.

I wish I could afford some nice NY strip steaks but failing that, those thin ribeyes have a lot of flavor, aren't that pricey and go really well on toasted garlic bread. I just have to remember that they only take about 2 minutes on each side. They are like shoe leather if overcooked!

Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Usually bison burgers (although as the vegetarian in the family, I'll have a black bean patty), strawberries, and a big tossed salad. Brownies for dessert.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post

How many people are you having? Will there be kids or people that are vegetarian? I think 4th of July typical BBQ type stuff like hamburgers and hot dogs with sides. I like the ice cream idea the other poster stated if you have kids. You could set up an ice cram and topping bar that I bet adults would like too.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
well,, ive been voted to host the 4th of july for the family..

I will source and cook - lobsters, clams,,steaks, spare-ribs, and bacon wrapped chicken, burgers and hot dogs
all on the grill

the guests will bring the sides/salads/desserts, watermelon

we will have the festivities by the lake, with lawn games, boating, fishing, swimming,

we will have a bonfire at night and set off some fireworks

house rules;

no politics
no hollaring at kids in front of other adults-
no driving after drinking

laughter and silliness is encouraged
first of all, your menu makes me sick, so sick I wish I was with you... now, as for the rules: 1-how can you watch fireworks and not drive after dark? Is everyone spending the night camping in your back yard and 2-what do you mean, no discussing politics? We can't have a family get together without the subject coming up: luckily we all pretty much agree... Have a wonderful celebration!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Well for us it is a little different: for about 30 years the 4th of July has been set aside for my daughter and my canning time. We started this when we both worked and had limited time to do our canning, now it is a tradition. It will start with shopping for the ingredients next Wednesday. We will start the process on Thursday and probably finish Saturday. Some of the tomatoes and jalapenos will come from the garden, the rest I have to scout around for, to get the freshest and cheapest. Usually we get Roma tomatoes for salsa from our local Mexican market, the jalapenos and other peppers that we don't get from the garden we will get there as well. Sugar, limes, and a few other things I picked up yesterday.

Around 9pm, if I haven't fallen asleep by then, we watch the fireworks off dd and sils deck as they are shot off over the lake.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM

24,531 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
Can you give some details: head count, dietary restrictions of guests, location (backyard, park, ...), budget, kitchen helpers, ...

I am planning on "us time" unless SO throws a wrench. Kebabs (shrimp and filet mignon), bread, salad, ice cream and sherbet. Watching fireworks of the small towns surrounding us on the porch with a sipping whisky.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
ribs....enough said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink