U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 AM

3,022 posts, read 5,559,983 times

Advertisements

I'd rather talk about the loads of food they throw out that could feed the homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 AM

5,334 posts, read 4,109,821 times
I don't think we have a Whole Food store around here, it's just as well because we have plenty of other stores that try to stick it to you. Sometimes I have to look in a mirror to see if I have a wrapper on my head that reads " SUCKER "

Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 AM

69,580 posts, read 79,902,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'd rather talk about the loads of food they throw out that could feed the homeless.
Don't know about WFoods but our Fresh Market does donate day off hamburger to our church food pantry. Do you know if W Foods does something similar are you assuming they throw it all out?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
It's a shame just how many grocery stores and food suppliers from farm to shelf throw out good food, and the amount of perfectly edible food that gets tossed out is absolutely staggering. No one in this country needs to go hungry.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM

69,580 posts, read 79,902,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
It's a shame just how many grocery stores and food suppliers from farm to shelf throw out good food, and the amount of perfectly edible food that gets tossed out is absolutely staggering. No one in this country needs to go hungry.
Did you know a lot of grocery stores do donate food the food banks? Some things can not be donated for health purposes. An example of donations: our small church pantry (small by comparison, but not really small) get day old bread, produce, meats and lot of non perishable items each week. Sometimes they have eggs as well, but not always. I don't have any idea how many loaves of bread and how many packaged sweet items we get, as well as sugar free products for diabetics. We also get baby formula and diapers. Much of this comes directly from the grocery stores and the distributors.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:14 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,375,957 times
After reading more and more posts on this thread I am more and more happy that WF is my grocery store of choice as I wouldn't want to hang anywhere near some of you with such anger in your hearts.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Did you know a lot of grocery stores do donate food the food banks? Some things can not be donated for health purposes. An example of donations: our small church pantry (small by comparison, but not really small) get day old bread, produce, meats and lot of non perishable items each week. Sometimes they have eggs as well, but not always. I don't have any idea how many loaves of bread and how many packaged sweet items we get, as well as sugar free products for diabetics. We also get baby formula and diapers. Much of this comes directly from the grocery stores and the distributors.
I know some do, and probably more in some areas than others, but there are still far more food suppliers, including grocery stores, that toss an enormous amount of perfectly good food.

It's great to see and hear about companies that do donate to the local food banks and kitchens, though!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,817,219 times
Our local Fresh Market donates all sorts of things to a local food bank. Day-old meats, baked goods, and what I've heard described as "imperfects"--dented cans, creased boxes, etc. that arrive damaged and they don't want to shelve. They also donate imperfect or over-ripe produce, post-holiday stuff and any other stuff that might get phased out as they discontinue some brands and bring in new things. They got an award/plaque from the food bank that hangs right in the front of the store thanking them for their help. You'd think this would be SOP for all grocery stores, though I can understand how it might be difficult to separate out some items.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,375,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I know some do, and probably more in some areas than others, but there are still far more food suppliers, including grocery stores, that toss an enormous amount of perfectly good food.

It's great to see and hear about companies that do donate to the local food banks and kitchens, though!
Just so you know, this is most always a function of local laws that them to toss out the food. In some jurisdictions grocery stores can't even give food to hog farmers.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 PM

8,936 posts, read 13,905,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
WF has items many other stores do not have, so until those other stores carry it, the only way to get it is from WF.

WF also has sales often on many things, and the prices depend on your location in the US; many places WF will either be equal, above, or below the average prices for many items in other food stores.

It seems many people walk in there, go to the most expensive products, and think every darn product in the store is hiked in price like that. And again, depends in the area of the country you live.

The quality is great though, no doubt there is a difference between the bacon or slice of beef from WF versus the cheap product from Walmart for example. The chicken there also is not loaded down with water (so far), which is why I purchase chicken from WF rather than other places.

But as I stated on another thread; many people do not do 100% of their food shopping at WF, many people like myself will hit up WF, TJ, and the other local grocery store (in my case Publix).
I agree. I go there for what I can't find elsewhere and what's on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink