U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Just so you know, this is most always a function of local laws that them to toss out the food. In some jurisdictions grocery stores can't even give food to hog farmers.
This is something many do not understand. Yes, it would be wonderful if all day old or unusable food could feed those who are hungry, but local laws are put in place for a reason and we have to realize this. Unfortunately there will always be food wasted and always be hungry people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
At their prices, since when is this news? lol
You usually spend your WHOLE paycheck at Whole Foods.lol

Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
You usually spend your WHOLE paycheck at Whole Foods.lol
Not even close. But thanks for the attempt at really old and tired humor!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Let's get a few things straight.

Most groceries mark down meat prior to the expiration date to get rid of it. They want to recover the costs of it.

As for post dated staples (or close dates), many retailers sell them to various surplus stores which sell them at a great discount. When I go to these stores, I can generally fill up a banana case full of non-perishable food for $20-25. By the way, at my last stop near Fort Wayne, IN, about 50% of the goods at the store were rejects from Meijer and Whole Foods.

Some of the food banks around do not accept close dated or out of date merchandise at all, even though there is nothing wrong with it. I had one food bank that would NOT accept perfectly in date food from Aldi as it "was not good enough for their clients." The donation went to other places that were not so particular.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What was the item?

I've compared organic produce at WF with organic produce elsewhere (Alberson's, Safeway, Smith's, etc.), and WF prices are the same. Organic produce is just more expensive, that's all there is to it. It's in non-organic that you'll see a difference.
This stuff-- highly addictive
At WF it was $6.00 a bag- at Aldi it was $2.00
That was a year ago- I have no idea what the prices are now....
But I bought a few bags back then, at Aldi-- so yummy

http://img4-2.realsimple.timeinc.net...ranola_300.jpg

Last edited by Beretta; 07-13-2014 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 AM

1,649 posts, read 3,045,167 times
My lunch money spending has doubled since the WF opened near our office. lol
The problem is you just can't beat it for the selection and size of their salad bar and hot food bars.
WF ownz me.

But I would NEVER do an actual grocery shopping there.
When I'm in there grabbing lunch, i'll pick up one or two items that I know I can't find at our normal grocery stores, but that's it.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
The problem is you just can't beat it for the selection and size of their salad bar and hot food bars.
WF ownz me.

When I'm in there grabbing lunch, i'll pick up one or two items that I know I can't find at our normal grocery stores, but that's it.
though I have never shopped at WF, only been in one, the salad bar and hot food bar sound much like Fresh Market and yes, it is hard not to get carried away. Yum, yum!!! That being said, I think they are still overpriced.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,455,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
WF ownz me.

My wife and I rarely buy regular groceries at Whole Foods because, as noted many times in this thread, it can get pricey. However, we make a lot of use of their deli and food bars when traveling because it's often a better option than restaurants- cheaper, healthier, and faster.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
though I have never shopped at WF, only been in one, the salad bar and hot food bar sound much like Fresh Market and yes, it is hard not to get carried away. Yum, yum!!! That being said, I think they are still overpriced.

I totally agree- definitely overpriced.
But whatever other people do w/ their money isn't my concern, lol
I know I work hard for mine...I'm not wasting any of it to be "trendy."

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM
JL

7,308 posts, read 11,474,267 times
Their tater tots by Organic 365 is really tasty. A bit expensive for 16oz at $2.99. I still buy it anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink