U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times

Advertisements

every grocery store has its loss leaders. And most shoppers know what they are and where to find them in the weekly circulars. It's all the other things that we need or think we need which lead to budget busting. I shopped in WF just once and realized most of what they sell has a gimmick and I wasn't falling for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 PM

12,663 posts, read 12,085,149 times
WF has items many other stores do not have, so until those other stores carry it, the only way to get it is from WF.

WF also has sales often on many things, and the prices depend on your location in the US; many places WF will either be equal, above, or below the average prices for many items in other food stores.

It seems many people walk in there, go to the most expensive products, and think every darn product in the store is hiked in price like that. And again, depends in the area of the country you live.

The quality is great though, no doubt there is a difference between the bacon or slice of beef from WF versus the cheap product from Walmart for example. The chicken there also is not loaded down with water (so far), which is why I purchase chicken from WF rather than other places.

But as I stated on another thread; many people do not do 100% of their food shopping at WF, many people like myself will hit up WF, TJ, and the other local grocery store (in my case Publix).

Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
WF has items many other stores do not have, so until those other stores carry it, the only way to get it is from WF.

WF also has sales often on many things, and the prices depend on your location in the US; many places WF will either be equal, above, or below the average prices for many items in other food stores.

It seems many people walk in there, go to the most expensive products, and think every darn product in the store is hiked in price like that. And again, depends in the area of the country you live.

The quality is great though, no doubt there is a difference between the bacon or slice of beef from WF versus the cheap product from Walmart for example. The chicken there also is not loaded down with water (so far), which is why I purchase chicken from WF rather than other places.

But as I stated on another thread; many people do not do 100% of their food shopping at WF, many people like myself will hit up WF, TJ, and the other local grocery store (in my case Publix).
You are correct. If you eat whole natural foods, WF isn't that expensive and the product quality is superior. If you eat all the prepackaged stuff that comes in boxes labeled non-GMO, raw, organic, etc. then you are mostly going to be pinching your wallet on the way out.

If you go in there to purchase steroid free meats, fruits/veggies, cheese/butter/milk steroid free, eggs, nuts/seeds, then you will find that the quality is great and the price isn't terrible, in fact for many items the same price or cheaper.

The ones that complain are the ones usually purchasing frozen or ready made items, example:

Kraft Mac and Cheese, 1 box = 50 cents walmart.

WF Organic Mac and Cheese, 1 box = 1.50

Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM

14,989 posts, read 8,550,839 times
I like Whole Paycheck, their organic meats are nice.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM

11,418 posts, read 13,967,393 times
All of their items are overpriced!

But, they are guilty of nothing, except smart marketing and pricing. Their customers are willing to pay such ridiculous prices for such overpriced merchandise, so who is really the guilty party? (If customers don't shop there, they cannot move their goods and therefore, must lower prices.)

Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM

5,488 posts, read 5,211,250 times
i bought some organic celery and it tasted better than regular celery. thats the only reason i would buy something organic - if it tasted better than regular.

I bought romaine lettuce hearts at Trader Joe, vs a local grocery, because the taste was better. the Trader Joes romaine lettuce hearts were lighter in color, more of a yellow green, vs the local grocery which only had darker more bitter tasting lettuce. so i go to Trader Joe which is kinda like Whole Foods, because of the taste. for some things I dont care if im paying more because the taste is more important to me. I wont eat bitter greens. hate em. but i love the lighter color, lighter tasting food.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM

695 posts, read 1,230,198 times
Is this good justification for posting (reposting, perhaps) this great video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx4-ULOW3q4

Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 PM

15,174 posts, read 15,218,690 times
The ONLY reason I will buy something from Fru-Fru-WF is if it is specialty item that I cannot find anywhere else.

Rarely shop at Fru-Fru-WF.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 PM

11,040 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
All of their items are overpriced!
We don't buy a whole lot from WF, but what we do buy we buy there because its a better price then elsewhere (or its the same price and the quality at WF is better). I buy my dog's dog food at WF because its about $8 cheaper then buying it across the street at Petsmart. Sometimes I go there just to buy dog food. Usually when that happens I am wondering to myself why I'm at WF getting my dog food and not getting any food for myself, but it is what it is.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,303,116 times
The CEO's politics are not appealing to me.
You can get the same stuff at Krogar, Publix or Trader Joes if look past the gourmet labeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink