U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times

Advertisements

I've read the article, and then I read the responses here on this thread. It sounds like everyone's talking about something that has nothing to do with the article.

Y'all are saying "Whole foods is too expensive, they overcharge for everything!"

That may be true, but that's not what the article is about.

The article is about them claiming that the package of beans you picked up weighs 1 pound, at $3.99/pound - but really it's only 13 ounces at $3.99/pound. Or that cup of soup at the hot bar should be .53 pounds, but it's not discounting the tare weight of the empty container which is .05, and it's charging you .58, which includes the cost of the container, which they're not allowed to charge you.

And then there's the thing about kebabs, which it was supposed to charge by the pound and instead they charged a per-piece cost instead.

Whether that $3.99/pound for the beans was "overpriced" has nothing to do with the article. It's the fact that you were overcharged because you weren't buying as much of the product as they claimed you were buying, that's the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Whole Foods shoppers are, for the most part, a bunch of groupies who believe things like "the public water system is poisoned", "only organic food is safe", and "government suppresses the truth about the lack off safety of our food supply".
I think if you actually went to WF, you would find that for the most part, their shoppers aren't much different from shoppers at any other store. There may be a few who are paranoid, but our WF is overflowing with normal soccer moms and other everyday folks who are just trying to make healthier choices.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've read the article, and then I read the responses here on this thread. It sounds like everyone's talking about something that has nothing to do with the article.

Y'all are saying "Whole foods is too expensive, they overcharge for everything!"

That may be true, but that's not what the article is about.

The article is about them claiming that the package of beans you picked up weighs 1 pound, at $3.99/pound - but really it's only 13 ounces at $3.99/pound. Or that cup of soup at the hot bar should be .53 pounds, but it's not discounting the tare weight of the empty container which is .05, and it's charging you .58, which includes the cost of the container, which they're not allowed to charge you.

And then there's the thing about kebabs, which it was supposed to charge by the pound and instead they charged a per-piece cost instead.

Whether that $3.99/pound for the beans was "overpriced" has nothing to do with the article. It's the fact that you were overcharged because you weren't buying as much of the product as they claimed you were buying, that's the issue.
There were some comments on it, but the overall response was "I don't shop at WF because...". How can anyone know or care about it if they don't shop there?

Personally, it does bother me slightly, but I'm sure other grocery stores do similar things, there's no way you're going to sit here and say that WFs are the only ones.

Last edited by MJ7; 06-25-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,461,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I think if you actually went to WF, you would find that for the most part, their shoppers aren't much different from shoppers at any other store. There may be a few who are paranoid, but our WF is overflowing with normal soccer moms and other everyday folks who are just trying to make healthier choices.
I was on a long-term assignment in CT and had my own cooking setup where I was staying. On the route home from my job, WF was the easiest supermarket to get to as it was right off I95. It is one of three supermarkets in Darien CT.

Now, given that Darien is one of the richest towns in the country, I'd expect high prices. But in actuality, WF was, for the most part, cheaper and far better than the big regional chain (Stop & Shop) and less expensive the local gourmet-ish indie market (Palmer's). And if I took an alternate route home and used the Merritt Pkwy to Stamford, there's an A&P right off the exit. WF is cheaper than them, too.

So for most of the six months I was there, I shopped at WF. Because it was more affordable and the product was better.

I don't do WF where I live because it's very inconvenient and I've got other solid options. But they will be opening one near me in two years, so we'll see what I think about it then.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,039,011 times
No conspiracy nut here, but I do shop at WF for things I can't readily find elsewhere. I'm not in there buying the 365 brand of cheese puffs instead of Cheetos, or GMO free Oreo-esque cookies because we don't buy a whole lot of processed food, period.

I prefer my food to be as close to unprocessed as possible, with as little unnecessary "extra stuff" as I can manage. It's got nothing to do with distrust of the government or half cocked theories. It's about health and ethics in my family.

I do care about pasture raised meat and dairy, and free roaming chickens in fields for my eggs. I like my fruit and vegetables to be fresh and full of taste. I like to buy chocolate and coffee that hasn't been harvested by child slaves in deplorable conditions.

I buy from local suppliers if I can, but it's not always practical or possible due to season and supply. In that sense, WF actually makes it easier at times by selling local products from local suppliers.

As for the article in question, yeah, it's not cool that it happened, but it's unsurprising. They're hardly the first, nor will they be the last, to miscalculate weighed purchases.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I was on a long-term assignment in CT and had my own cooking setup where I was staying. On the route home from my job, WF was the easiest supermarket to get to as it was right off I95. It is one of three supermarkets in Darien CT.

Now, given that Darien is one of the richest towns in the country, I'd expect high prices. But in actuality, WF was, for the most part, cheaper and far better than the big regional chain (Stop & Shop) and less expensive the local gourmet-ish indie market (Palmer's). And if I took an alternate route home and used the Merritt Pkwy to Stamford, there's an A&P right off the exit. WF is cheaper than them, too.

So for most of the six months I was there, I shopped at WF. Because it was more affordable and the product was better.

I don't do WF where I live because it's very inconvenient and I've got other solid options. But they will be opening one near me in two years, so we'll see what I think about it then.
People who never set foot in WF have this idea that it's this big organic hippie-fest where hemp-clad people are throwing away money by the fist fulls. It's pretty clear that they have no concept of the reality of WF.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,191,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
People who never set foot in WF have this idea that it's this big organic hippie-fest where hemp-clad people are throwing away money by the fist fulls. It's pretty clear that they have no concept of the reality of WF.
It's a trait of the emotionally extreme.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the whole foods shoppers are the blind organic misled consumers that want to believe whole foods is a sanctuary grocery store,

they've been duped for years,,,but whole foods is more than a grocery store, it stands as a "cause"
FOR what they believe in and AGAINST what they believe a traditional grocery store sells

organic,, free range, locally grown, grass fed, vegetarian fed, sustainability, humanely treated, minimum impact, no gmo's
these are all buzz words whole foods uses to sell products for 50-60% margins,,,

whole foods has been consistently caught for mislabeling foods- but most of the shoppers don't care,,,they have drank the kool aid, and like it.
Not all of us.

I don't buy 'organic,' but my local WF has an excellent selection of international cheeses in SMALL packages, which is great. They also get in some unusual produce, like satsunas and sumo citrus fruits.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,360,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
The point is all of the die hard WF shoppers have refused to admit
they could possibly ever be overcharged, lol
Big difference.
Would you please quote your source for this BS "fact".

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
The point is all of the die hard WF shoppers have refused to admit
they could possibly ever be overcharged, lol
I appreciate your concern for my financial well-being. Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm fine. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink