Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,853,472 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods is overpriced?

Go to an auto parts store and price a quart of motor oil. Start with the store brand and work your way up to stuff like Royal Purple. Gas is damned near free at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I agree, for the most part, organic is hype and you are correct their organic selection is super expensive (6.99$/lb) for grapes.
But those things depend on the season and the vendor; the prices can fluctuate a lot on those factors. Just the other day I bought a bunch of cherries for $3.99/lbs at WF, yet publix was still selling them for $7.99/lbs and not even half as tasty.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,373,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But those things depend on the season and the vendor; the prices can fluctuate a lot on those factors. Just the other day I bought a bunch of cherries for $3.99/lbs at WF, yet publix was still selling them for $7.99/lbs and not even half as tasty.
With the global market, people just don't get the concept of shopping and eating in season.

They want strawberries at Christmas time and are willing to pay $5-6 for them when the same strawberries are $2-3 during the peak of summer, when they're in season and abundant.

I often find great deals on in season fruit and veggies at WF.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,588,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Heck, Stew Leonard's was profiled in Tom Peter's "In Search of Excellence" and was nailed for short-weighting.

I'm going to suggest that this probably isn't all that uncommon as one might think. In WF's case, it seems most of the infractions weren't for groceries/produce but for "ready-to-eat" stuff where they didn't subtract the weight of the container/packaging. I've seen counterpeople tare the scales at the WF where I used to shop occasionally, so this might be a CA-only thing.
I was going to mention the Stew Leonards incident, what 20 years ago? That was their meat department right?

This isn't about WF overcharging on the items which are weighed in a factory, this is about the salads you might get from the deli being weighed for 1.5 pounds vs. 1.35. This is a systematic over charging of the customer.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,878,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Will you stop shopping there now?
I never shopped there in the first place. I'm so relieved at the money I saved

Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM

9,001 posts, read 10,140,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Would you please quote your source for this BS "fact".
Nah. Do some research

Old 06-25-2014, 03:13 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,406,620 times
As far as I know, WF is the only store around me that sells grains and nuts in bulk. The prices seem fine. That is what I mainly get at WF.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,278,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
As far as I know, WF is the only store around me that sells grains and nuts in bulk. The prices seem fine. That is what I mainly get at WF.
Absolutely, and the tare issue noted in the linked article is easily avoided if you bring your own containers and stop at customer service to have them weighed before filling. I love WF, because I shop using my own jars, bottles, and bags, and the employees go out of their way to accommodate my family's efforts to reduce our consumption of single-use, disposable packaging. (Click on my user profile to see an example of how I shop.)

Last edited by randomparent; 06-25-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,691,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Absolutely, and the tare issue noted in the linked article is easily avoided if you bring your own containers and stop at customer service to have them weighed before filling. I love WF, because I shop using my own jars, bottles, and bags, and the employees go out of their way to accommodate my family's efforts to reduce our consumption of single-use, disposable packaging. (Click on my user profile to see an example of how I shop.)
I need to pickup some jars or some sort of container for those, I seem to be coming home with more plastic than I would like to.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,953,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I was going to mention the Stew Leonards incident, what 20 years ago? That was their meat department right?

This isn't about WF overcharging on the items which are weighed in a factory, this is about the salads you might get from the deli being weighed for 1.5 pounds vs. 1.35. This is a systematic over charging of the customer.
Much of it was the same kind of thing at Stew's - stuff they packaged in-store where the container was part of the weight. Meat dept, salads, soups, etc.

Where I shop, you weigh your own stuff so you're responsible for taring the scale. Tare, weigh, print your label, done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink