U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:10 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,380,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's funny reading these responses. When I've done gas it's tasted just fine for me, but then it could be like those who think cell phone photos are "fine" because they've never seen what a quality DSLR type of camera can do, or they can't figure out how to use it and thus FOR THEM the results from a "real" camera are worse.

I think that may be why many people grill mostly during the summer. I always thought it was because something about summer was just "conducive" to grilling, but actually you have a point--by cooking outside, you prevent the indoors from getting so hot in the summer from cooking.

Even if (and I stress IF) a gas grill doesn't produce food as tasty as a charcoal one, I certainly find that the food cooked on it tastes differently enough from stove-cooked to be a worthwhile endeavor. I used to "grill" using a large George Foreman electric grill, but upon getting this particular gas grill I haven't done so since. It's quite a pleasure.

As I asked earlier--many people around here line their grill with aluminum foil, and have suggested that I should do the same. Why? What's the point? It would seem to be beside the point, as you're sort of turning the grilling experience into one that's somewhat more "contact" cooking vs "open flame" cooking. The only reason I can see doing that is to keep the grill from getting as messy, but then, if you lose out on taste, what's the point of grilling to start with? I just don't get it.
Also keeps the kitchen cleaner! And I set my timer and go outside every few minutes depending on what I am making. It is hot here, so I don't want to be out there longer than I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 PM

7,183 posts, read 7,515,335 times
I prefer Lump Charcoal over Kingsford Charcoal
Kingsford Is Trash

Last edited by hitman619; 06-26-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,154,040 times
I prefer gas when it comes to cooking steaks. Everything else gets charcoal.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,529,454 times
Charcoal.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,320,021 times
Steaks and fajitas, gas. Brisket and ribs, charcoal and mesquite.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
WAY too long a first post ... I won't read it all. LOL

Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,048 times
Default Another vote for Amazing Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post

But for all sorts of Q-info, not just pig, try the Amazing Ribs site.
I second Amazing Ribs as a source for great info. It's really an online BBQ bible and I've used many of Meathead's techniques and recipes with fantastic success. I consider his discussion of "Gas vs Charcoal" to be the definitive writing on the subject:

Charcoal Grills vs. Gas Grill Throwdown

FWIW, my brother considers himself a pit master and he smokes probably 20-30 Boston butts a year for different family gatherings and such on his custom charcoal smoker that he designed and made himself. He's quite proud of his skills and his pork gets rave reviews. I used Meathead's techniques on my gas grill (using wood for smoke) and my wife and daughter swear that my pulled pork is better. But… shhh… don't tell him that!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM

33,136 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I think that may be why many people grill mostly during the summer. I always thought it was because something about summer was just "conducive" to grilling, but actually you have a point--by cooking outside, you prevent the indoors from getting so hot in the summer from cooking.

Theres another reason why some only grille in the summer..
That rounded lump on the righthand side of the porch is my old gas BBQ.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSCF2094.jpg

Old 06-27-2014, 02:47 PM

5,166 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres another reason why some only grille in the summer..
That rounded lump on the righthand side of the porch is my old gas BBQ.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSCF2094.jpg
It must be difficult to control the temperature of the grill, yeah?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:57 AM

2,688 posts, read 1,770,456 times
Just dig a path and brush off the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink