U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,950,653 times

Advertisements

Vegie hot dogs for me
beer
baked beans
grilled corn on the cob
burgers for the meat eaters
beer
chips
cookies
beer
alcohol for the non beer drinkers
potato salad - what an odd word we don't say po - ta- too but po - ta -toe

no soups as they are too hard to manage
some pies - apple, lemon chocolate
and the favorite... BEER DOH!

and then there are $2000 of fireworks to light the sky up including a few hundred mortars.... OIA you might want to land from the south ! I'm just saying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all, your menu makes me sick, so sick I wish I was with you... now, as for the rules: 1-how can you watch fireworks and not drive after dark? Is everyone spending the night camping in your back yard and 2-what do you mean, no discussing politics? We can't have a family get together without the subject coming up: luckily we all pretty much agree... Have a wonderful celebration!!!
I have to make these rules for a couple reasons- first, it just feels good to have and post them- for everyone- (no drinking and driving) this gives me more leverage to take the keys away from someone that I think has had too much to drink-then try to drive, they know this up front
and yes, we will have tents outside and extra beds inside
ive only had one big issue with a "tag along" someone I didn't know that came with a family member and he drank too much.-so, its not just me, its 5 of us guys telling someone they aren't leaving-

politics- years ago, we were civil discussing politics, but then, one of the family members brought over a
vegan, which was treated with respect- then she started criticizing all of us, then got into politics, then it got heated, I had to tell them no more politics
but she kept on going- then swearing ....
this resulted in hurt feelings- and that's not what I want family gatherings to be,,not a battleground
some of the younger family members are also quite verbal, and people start argueing- just again cause hostilities, and conflict

so, no politics is a rule- it does get broken here and there

we also play cards/poker or cribbage/hearts/ if it rains

another rule is-men do as much of the cooking and cleaning and watching the kids as do the women/moms.

thanks nita!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I have to make these rules for a couple reasons- first, it just feels good to have and post them- for everyone- (no drinking and driving) this gives me more leverage to take the keys away from someone that I think has had too much to drink-then try to drive, they know this up front
and yes, we will have tents outside and extra beds inside
ive only had one big issue with a "tag along" someone I didn't know that came with a family member and he drank too much.-so, its not just me, its 5 of us guys telling someone they aren't leaving-

politics- years ago, we were civil discussing politics, but then, one of the family members brought over a
vegan, which was treated with respect- then she started criticizing all of us, then got into politics, then it got heated, I had to tell them no more politics
but she kept on going- then swearing ....
this resulted in hurt feelings- and that's not what I want family gatherings to be,,not a battleground
some of the younger family members are also quite verbal, and people start argueing- just again cause hostilities, and conflict

so, no politics is a rule- it does get broken here and there

we also play cards/poker or cribbage/hearts/ if it rains

another rule is-men do as much of the cooking and cleaning and watching the kids as do the women/moms.

thanks nita!
have to admit the guys in our family do a pretty good job at watching the kids (most of the time) but if you think they help in the kitchen: forget it. The only one I know that is good about this is: spoiled brat if we are the ones entertaining. Now, I will admit the guys are great at grilling if that is the dinner but they do nothing else;; JERKS!!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Meat and Seafood.

Everything else is just a side.

Central Valley Style Tri-Tip, Silva's Hot Links, Tequila Lime Chicken and some fresh harvested Tomales Bay Oysters(someone is actually making a 6 hour roundtrip just to get them on Fri.)

Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM

11,420 posts, read 13,967,393 times
Kalbi - Korean beef ribs, salad, potato salad. Ahh!!

Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,696,129 times
Birthday cake! It's my birthday. I also think mom is grilling, then I'll make macaroni salad, maybe I'll make mac n cheese, German potato salad, watermelon, fruit.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 AM

18,006 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Usually:

hot dogs
hamburgers
potato salad
baked beans
green salad
potato chips
iced coffee, iced tea, lemonade, soda
cake--sometimes it's made to look like the flag with strawberries for the red, blueberries for the blue, and coolwhip for the white

Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Vegie hot dogs for me
beer
baked beans
grilled corn on the cob
burgers for the meat eaters
beer
chips
cookies
beer
alcohol for the non beer drinkers
potato salad - what an odd word we don't say po - ta- too but po - ta -toe

no soups as they are too hard to manage
some pies - apple, lemon chocolate
and the favorite... BEER DOH!

and then there are $2000 of fireworks to light the sky up including a few hundred mortars.... OIA you might want to land from the south ! I'm just saying....
and now you can get some of the food at Trader Joe's I have heard...beer too, probably

Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Usually:

hot dogs
hamburgers
potato salad
baked beans
green salad
potato chips
iced coffee, iced tea, lemonade, soda
cake--sometimes it's made to look like the flag with strawberries for the red, blueberries for the blue, and coolwhip for the white
My granddaughter when she was still in elementary school used to make that 4th of July cake.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Chocolate Stout
Bratwurst
Mac and cheese
Cherries - in season
Spring Water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or