U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,440,121 times

Advertisements

I had a sudden urge to make some quick and easy coleslaw (which I don't normally make) and remembered that my mother-in-law used to buy a bag of coleslaw veggies already chopped up and pour a bottle of coleslaw dressing over it and mix it up.

Found the bag of coleslaw easily enough, but no coleslaw dressing. I went to Sprouts first and then King Soopers (Kroger's). Nada. So many dressings to choose from but no humble coleslaw dressing. I guess things have changed in the 20 years since mother-in-law died. I bought poppyseed dressing instead and will see if family likes it tonight at dinner. So what happened to coleslaw dressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 PM

33,590 posts, read 51,807,704 times
Interesting, because I see it (made by Hidden Valley and Kraft) everywhere.
http://goo.gl/BJW1ZM
You can also order it from Amazon,
but... what about making it yourself? It's really easy:
http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-cole...ressing-186437

Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,751,504 times
I just make my own. Mine is very similar to the one that Elnina posted except I don't use dry mustard and use red wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:06 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,339,450 times
I used a store bought Raspberry vinaigrette but I also added chunks of green apples to my coleslaw to help complement the dressing. It was a tasty salad but needed some other umph.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM

14,303 posts, read 17,512,523 times
It should have been at Kroger. Different shaped bottle than the regular dressings. Also in the fresh dressing aisle. But, OMG, look at the fat and calorie content. :eek

Old 06-27-2014, 02:50 PM

33,590 posts, read 51,807,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It should have been at Kroger. Different shaped bottle than the regular dressings. Also in the fresh dressing aisle. But, OMG, look at the fat and calorie content. :eek
I agree! Many dressings just sabotage your salad and most people tend to ignore their salad dressing's reported serving size, which is usually only two (2!) tablespoons.
And the low-calorie or low-fat dressings may not always be a healthier option either. (most taste like a crap, anyway). Not to forget that low-fat salad dressings prevent the body's ability to absorb the carotenoid antioxidants in salad greens and tomatoes, thus greatly diminishing a major health benefit of eating salad

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,315,108 times
You must have overlooked it--it's usually right by the salad dressings, & some refrigerated versions are often by the salads. Some packaged coleslaw "mixes" have it in the bag. I just make my own--a little mayo, rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic/onion powder, & celery seed.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,576,385 times
I use Marzetti's coleslaw dressing. It's in the condiments aisle, and in the stores around me, it's sort of above the mayo near the edge of where the bottled salad dressings start.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bpwDoq0gJs...w+dressing.jpg

Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,431 times
From a chef site:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
up to 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon cumin

It's pretty simple and easy to make yourself. If you want it sweet, which is common, add a little sugar--but I prefer it without sugar.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,440,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree! Many dressings just sabotage your salad and most people tend to ignore their salad dressing's reported serving size, which is usually only two (2!) tablespoons.
And the low-calorie or low-fat dressings may not always be a healthier option either. (most taste like a crap, anyway). Not to forget that low-fat salad dressings prevent the body's ability to absorb the carotenoid antioxidants in salad greens and tomatoes, thus greatly diminishing a major health benefit of eating salad
Geez, no wonder I rarely use salad dressing! Anyway, thanks all for your remarks and recipes. It sounds like it is indeed still available. I either missed it (though I did look through all the dressings) or it was just an off day for those two particular store locations.

At any rate, my five grandchildren told me politely that they "don't really care for coleslaw" so it was a moot point, but I thought it was good...ought to be with all the calories and fat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or