Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
While this may be the case chez Rubi, I don't think it is a universal truth. I think I can tell the difference. I've never done a blind tasting or anything, but I don't like pepper out of a shaker very much, whereas I love it freshly-ground. They seem like different substances to me.

Again, what is true for you is true for you. I prefer to put salt in my food, not on my food. It definitely tastes better. And nowhere did I tell anyone to put "too much salt" in anything.

You're awfully judgmental and, frankly, wrong, about seasoning food.
I'm no more judgmental than you. You are making some things so important to a novice cook and in my opinion some of those things are not all that important. The finer points come as time goes by. Perhaps you're young and don't yet understand. LOL Ok, I'm joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!
Get the kitchen ready and get him in the kitchen to help you make that meal. You'll accomplish a whole lot more than just having him sit down to dinner.

No matter what you end up making that way it will all be great.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm no more judgmental than you. You are making some things so important to a novice cook and in my opinion some of those things are not all that important. The finer points come as time goes by. Perhaps you're young and don't yet understand. LOL Ok, I'm joking.
I haven't been young in a long time, Rubi. On point, though, how in the world is salting water for potatoes "not that important," regardless of how long someone has been cooking? There's no such thing as being too young to learn to do things right.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
I have no dog in this race but I was always taught that it is important to salt water for pasta and potatoes.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you sound like a girl that wanted to cook for me many years ago- to please your man (bless your heart)

if you are in charge of planning the whole evening- here's a suggestion

before dinner is served, give him an "activities" menu for the evening, -just some ideas for him to pick- you make the list, be creative,

oh, one other thing,, if a lady is cooking, the food always tastes better when she cooks naked )

it also breaks the ice for that activity list

good luck
Sir, I don't suggest that anyone fry chicken naked. IJS.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
In case no one figured it out, this has nothing to do with food. Get him to help you cook. You could make up cereal and milk and if done with your goal in mind, the result will be the same as if you make something yourself that rivaled what the best restaurant could dream up.

Now we're talking about salting water for potatoes and pasta. Nothing like losing sight of the goal eh?

If all you want is to be stuck cooking for someone, go for it. If you want more and don't want to end up doing all the cooking for someone who waits around for the food all the time, get them in their with you. Then when it comes time to clean up, do the same. Soapy water and washing the dishes, even if you have a dish washer.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
mac and cheese
broccoli casserole
collard greens
cornbread
turkey meatloaf

Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Cooking, especially cooking fried food or boiling anything, while naked is a bad idea unless you are okay with getting some burn scars in interesting places. The blisters from hot grease popping and landing on your chest are not particularly attractive, they really hurt and they leave scars.

Fried chicken is a pretty technical dish. If the OP is not particularly skilled at cooking she ought to look for something a bit simpler to make. Definitely don't make a dish you are not familiar with for a guest without practicing beforehand.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I know someone suggested collard greens, but they take some time to cook—especially with the stems. They aren't pleasant if undercooked or under seasoned. Spinach or green beans would be much easier. I would make a small ham. It seems elegant, yet is simple to make. Boil the salt away. Pick a recipe for glaze (Some recipes use sodas such as Dr. Pepper or coke, but I like brown sugar and mustard.) Then put it in a slow cooker for an hour per pound. Or if desired, try about 15-20 min. per pound in the oven at 325 degrees to the preferred internal temp. (Different brands vary between 140 and 160 degrees.) Mashed potatoes with butter would be good, also. Cornbread mix can be found in the supermarket and bakes easily. It's a first date:start simple. Save the other recipes for future dates (with more practice).

Last edited by LexWest; 07-01-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Is this southern guy sophisticated?

Why is everybody assuming the guy is a simpleton?

Fried chicken and Mac and Cheese sounds like a kids meal.

Sophistication has nothing to do with good Southern Food.

Have I missed your very sophisticated suggestion as to what meal she should prepare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink