U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 AM

9,595 posts, read 9,429,065 times

Advertisements

I second the suggestion of some supermarket fried chicken. It's really amazing how good most of it tastes. I disagree with an earlier opinion that its the effort that counts. Women that can't cook, shouldn't cook. You can get a man without cooking for him. That said, its easier if you can cook, so learn, its not rocket science. But it takes time to acquire the skillz. Don't practice on guys you really like. I just read through that Ina's recipe. Sounds good, its close to how I roast chicken but... I don't see anywhere where it says to turn the oven down. 425 for 1.5hrs?? Wowsers. I usually hit it with 425 for 20 min then turn it down to 350. 20 min per lb. so a 5lb would get 100min, 20 at 425 and another 80 at 350. Also agree that the Mac'n cheese sounds very unromantic. Mashed potatoes less so, New Potatoes sprinkled with dill and you are getting interesting. Corn of some kind or Asparagus if you want to really blow his mind. He may not eat it but you will get the style points. Have some corn handy. You can fry chicken naked if you use one of those screen things. Full nudity can backfire though. I'd suggest a harem outfit. Capri's are cool but only if they are as sheer as pantyhose. FWIW.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,530,674 times
If it were me: BBQ. I love BBQ anything. If he likes chicken, BBQ chicken would be the ticket. Shows a man a lot. Good BBQ is time consuming and fairly difficult. Shows how far you are willing to go.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 AM

351 posts, read 435,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!
Unlike the other posters here who are saying you should buy supermarket fried chicken or suggesting that you cook something easier, I'll tell you how I would make this dinner.

Making good fried chicken can be tricky, but it was one of the 1st dishes my mother taught me when I was 14 yrs old, and it isn't that hard at all.

The key to making a successful dinner to impress people is planning and executing everything in steps so you're not doing 25 million things at once. Let's say your menu is going to include fried chicken, collard greens, cornbread, sweet tea and some kind of dessert.

Start by prepping the chicken. For example, with a 5 lb box of chicken thighs, season the night before with 1 teaspoon per pound with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Let it marinade in the fridge overnight. Make the sweet tea also the night before and have it chilling in the fridge until dinner time.

The next day (let's say the dinner is at 6pm) at around 9am get your crock pot out and place a ham hock, one onion sliced thinly, sauteed, a can of chicken stock and about 3 bunches collard greens stripped of stems and cut chiffonade in 1 inch strips or so to 2 parts salt to 1 part sugar to taste, plus cracked pepper. ( It's not traditional, but I throw in one clove of garlic too) and cook on low for 8 hours or more. After the collards are done, you can season it further by adding white vinegar by the tsp. tasting it as you add and dashes of hot sauce to taste.

If you're going to bake a dessert, around noon or so I would then make a pineapple upside down cake or a pecan pie and serve it with a rich Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream. If you're a novice baker, then I would take the suggestions of the other posters here, and serve a root beer float or a brownie with ice cream.

I would take the chicken out of the fridge one hour before frying which would be around 4pm. At 5pm I would take the chicken and roll it in some beaten eggs and flour it and start frying. The secret to good frying is to let the oil heat up to the correct temperature. A electric skillet or fryer will make this task a lot easier.

The other secret is to start by frying the chicken thighs skin down 1st for about 25 minutes. This creates a crust which keeps the chicken juicy and keeps the oil from making entering the chicken and making it greasy. You'll see blood rise up on the backside without skin which is a good thing because that means that the chicken is cooking. Then turn the chicken over the cook the other side for about 15 to 20 minutes. The fried chicken should stay hot or warm for at least 30 minutes of so, so no need to place it in a warm oven.

Around 5pm, make the cornbread batter and start to bake it. I've found the best recipes for southern style cornbread are the one's where a cast iron skillet is heated until smoking, bacon fat is added, and the batter is poured into that skillet and is then finished in the oven.

I'm sure you can imagine the enticing aromas that will greet your crush when he comes to your place. Crock pot dishes like collard greens will perfume the air along with the heavenly smell of frying chicken mixed with the fresh baked odor of cornbread. This is a winning combination! Good Luck!!

Last edited by Honolulu21; 07-02-2014 at 01:20 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 AM

33,050 posts, read 12,514,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!
You've gotten some excellent advice on this thread.

The only thing I can add to this is to you may want to practice a day or so before. Throw what you make in the freezer. But this will give you an idea of how much time things take and if you need more pots and pans or whatever.

I'd suggest fried chicken (since you know he likes that), mashed potatoes (because you do), buttermilk gravy (gravy is an art. practice a few times), cornbread and collard greens with banana pudding for dessert.

This is a terrific fried chicken and gravy recipe. You briefly fry the chicken then finish it in the oven. Much easier to get it just right this way.

Spicy Fried Chicken With Buttermilk Gravy Recipe - Food.com

Good explanation of mashed potatoes. Though I stick with just salt and pepper rather than the seasoned salt. Also, if you make it ahead of time, put it in a double boiler or a bowl over a pan of simmering water until you are ready to serve as it can get gluey if you try to reheat it with the stove and stirring method.

The Krusteaz honey cornbread mix is hard to beat. I make it with buttermilk instead of the milk.

Then collard greens or green beans. That was a good recipe above.

Maybe a plate of sliced tomatoes if you can find some vine ripened tomatoes. Save the fried green tomatoes until another time. You got enough going on.

Dessert is banana pudding. I love the following recipe.

Banana Pudding with Vanilla Wafer Crumble Recipe - David Guas | Food & Wine

Or chocolate. Trader Joe's truffle brownie mix makes out of this world brownies. Might be the butter. I don't know. But I have never made or had a better brownie than what comes from this mix.

Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and buttermilk gravy. Cornbread and collard greens. Sliced tomatoes. Banana pudding.

Oh girl, you better be ready for this guy to fall in love with you.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 AM

11,709 posts, read 16,457,103 times
Fried chicken and the works is very nice. Do I want to fry chicken, have house and me smell like fried chicken and run around like a beheaded chicken when a potential rooster is in the coop? What can be prepped and reheated or grilled and still called Southern?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,223,391 times
You might want to keep dinner simple and save room for dessert.
Know what I mean.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...shed_potatoes/

For some reason, link to the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes didn't make it into my post.

By the way, everything above can be fixed ahead of time and kept simmering on the stove, crockpot and oven for the last half hour or so. Leaving you time to shower, change clothes and get ready for your date.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Fried chicken and the works is very nice. Do I want to fry chicken, have house and me smell like fried chicken and run around like a beheaded chicken when a potential rooster is in the coop? What can be prepped and reheated or grilled and still called Southern?
You'd be amazed at how many fellows enjoy eau de fried chicken.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM

An alternative is a picnic of fried chicken, potato salad, sliced tomatoes, and watermelon. Although the banana pudding packs well. You can make the chicken and potato salad the day ahead and keep it in the fridge until you need it.

There is something about a picnic on a blanket that is so old world romantic.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,431,617 times
Like some others have already said, test the recipe first before you commit to making it for him. You'll want to *know* that it turns out well before you give it to him.

That said...

After my divorce last year, I met a lovely man. We went out for meals a lot but, one evening last summer, I decided that I'd cook dinner for him. I had just seen a recipe listed on this here forum and I was intrigued. Intrigued even though I didn't much like one of the ingredients -- brown sugar. I don't like sweet chicken. For reasons unknown, though, I decided that this was the perfect meal to make for him. Crazy. I'd never made it before and it didn't even sound like something that I'd love. However, it came out great, he really enjoyed it (or at least he *said* that he did!), but I'd never do that again -- serve a meal that I'd never made before for myself. You can only do that after you're married.

Fast forward to this summer: He's a much better cook than I am. He's Italian and learned well from his mother. Our system is that he cooks and I clean. Perfect!

So, in a nutshell:

1. Give it a test go for yourself before you serve it to him.
2. Even if you serve it to him without trying it first, if he's as smitten with you as you are with him, he'll tell you it's good, even if he has to choke it down.
3. Good luck and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or